1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The 50GB Project - HTC One M8

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by A144, May 22, 2014.

1. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone!

Background - If you followed my previous thread about how wonderful Verizon is, you'll know I had to buy a phone off contract to retain my unlimited data plan. I got the HTC One M8. Once I got it, a couple of my friends suggested I go out of my way to use as much data as I could. One even suggested I try to hit 50gb of data in once month. At first I thought it was absurd, but after using my phone for the first month, I thought I'd give it a try.

Pre-Project - I will have had my phone through one full billing cycle and about 2/3 of another. In that first 2/3, I used about 13.5gb of data on my M8. Through the second billing cycle, which will end in a couple days, I'm already at 23.5gb.

The main culprits of data usage are: YouTube, I've been watching it on my phone a lot lately. Cartoons HD, a free app (not available on the PlayStore) that lets you watch full episodes of TV shows. It mostly features cartoons, but has some others like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. I've been using it to watch the latter either on my phone or our flat screen via an MHL cable adapter. Google Play Music, I keep it synced with my iTunes and pretty much play all my music from that. FireFox, my current mobile browser of choice. Speedtest. Spotify and iHeartRadio, which I use to listen to custom music stations.

The Plan - So here's the rundown on the 50gb Project. I will continue regularly using my 2 big data hogs, YouTube and CartoonsHD. When I'm in my car, I will be streaming music to my stereo via Bluetooth probably from Play Music. I will be using FoxFi to USB tether to my computer to download any big files I need (I keep getting tempted not to though; our ISP just upped our speed to 26mbps...) and watch some videos.

I will be updating here with screenshots of data usage.

Some Science - I will be doing to tests throughout the 50GB Project to fulfill my own curiosity and that of others.

Speed testing: It is well known that Verizon throttles heavy data users on its 3G network, but the company claims that no such throttling occurs on 4G because it isn't necessary. In the past, I've recorded download speeds from around 3mbps up to 50mbps, but they seem to be random and not associated with my data usage. I could probably associate them with when I think the network would be busiest, causing natural slowing of data speeds. Anyways, I will be testing frequently using the Speedtest app or Speedtest.net when I'm tethered to my computer.

Music Apps: I've always been curious to see which music app sucks the most data. I will be doing a test once I enter the new billing cycle. I will streaming music for 1 hour for each of the following apps: Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify, Slacker Radio, and Pandora. The I will compare how much data they each used. Again, I will post results.

I think that's all for now. Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any suggestions for stuff to test or some really data hungry apps, let me know! And stay tuned for all the 50GB Project action starting May 24th.

2. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I love Cartoon HD, great App. I have it on my iPhone and iPad, I stream it to my 46" TV through an Apple TV.

4. emoragaf

emoragaf Empty Pockets

Sadly we don't have unlimited 4g plans :(, and its really hard not to exceed my plan quota with my current 4g speeds (70~90 Mbps), which btw blows my current house connection (15Mbps).

But if i had unlimited data i think i would probably use closer to 100gb a month xD

5. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'm still on unlimited as well, and I've routinely used 20+ GB per month. My 4G connection is about double what my home internet is, so I use my phone connection to stream over my Roku when it started to lag a lot, and I never turn wifi on.

A144 likes this.
  6. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

omg, i use about 1.5 GB a month on my S5, but i´m usually on wifi though....

7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Unlimited here as well.:)

A144 likes this.
  8. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Oh man, the fun I'd have with 70-90mbps!!! Fastest I've clocked in the Toledo, OH area has been 50mbps. Granted that was around 2am, so there probably weren't many people using it to slow it down.

9. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Pre-Project Update: Here's the totals for this billing cycle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top Data Users
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a couple speedtests tonight. The first was right after my above post. over 53mbps.

[​IMG]

And one just a bit ago.

[​IMG]

cowsmilk, testicon and microbe like this.
  10. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

DAY 4 UPDATE

Well, the 50GB Project has gotten off to a slow start. We had a really busy weekend and I didn't get to use my phone a whole lot. I'm sitting right at right about 1gb of data. I'm gonna really have to step it up to reach 50gb.

I'm starting the music testing today, iHeartRadio is playing right now and I'll let it play for 1 hour.

Speeds over 3 tests using Speedtest range from 35mbps to 55mbps, with an average of 44.6mbps. I will keep doing the testing, but from what I've seen pre-project, I don't believe Verizon is throttling speeds on the 4G LTE network (which is consistent with what they claim).

cowsmilk likes this.
  11. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

DAY 6 UPDATE

I'm catching up on the data usage. Half a dozen episodes of Breaking Bad on CartoonsHD, some more music on Play Music, and some YouTube videos have brought the data up to 6.64. I'm a little over 1GB per day, which is about half of what I need to meet my 50GB goal. So I'll need to step it up some.

The Music testing is almost complete. I just need to download Pandora and test it.

Speeds today for my three test average yielded 38.1mbps. Still no sign of speed throttling (which happens after 2GB of usage on 3G network).

cowsmilk likes this.
  12. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

DAY 8 UPDATE

Data usage is it 11.04gb.

Speed tests averaged 6.8mbps this morning. I am not at my house, but my grandma's helping with a garage sale. Don't know if that's the reason for the large difference. I'll test again once I'm home.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

cowsmilk likes this.
  13. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

DAY 11 UPDATE

Boringly enough, I'm right on track to hit 50gb of data this month. I'm at 17.24GB currently.

CartoonsHD is dominating the data usage (and I'm over halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad :D). YouTube and PlayMusic are my other big users so far.

Speeds tonight averaged 44mbps, with one of my three tests reaching 63.3mbps. That has been the fasted speed I've ever clocked on 4G LTE.

I still have to get around to downloading Pandora for the music test. But a sneak peak and advice for those on limited data plans: Stay away from PlayMusic, or at least enable caching on your device to save data.

14. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

DAY 14 UPDATE

Almost at the halfway point of the billing cycle. Data usage as of tonight is 21.59GB.

Speedtests tonight averaged nearly 54mbps. My best 3 test average yet. So at this point I'm 99.99% sure there's no throttling going on on the 4G LTE network on Verizon's unlimited data plans.

Still need to download Pandora...

Questions, comments, concerns? :D

AK Adventurer likes this.
  15. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

44Mbps !!!!!!????????????? :eek:
    Yea, I hate you. haha
    My AT&T 4G is getting about 5.3Mbps to 6.55Mbps
    I do have unlimited though.... unlimited slow. haha

My HOME internet is 20Mbps
    WV Internet sucks hard :( We have a very low national average.

16. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm interested in those streaming music breakdowns when they are all wrapped up. I've burned up my free 200mb from tmobile on my ipad in about 7 minutes of YouTube videos, but I haven't taken the time to figure out streaming audio numbers.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

A144 likes this.
  17. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Quite complaining, it could be worse;
    I'm on 28K dial up.
    :frantic::cry:
    Yes, seriously.

:cool:

18. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

"4G" is basically just souped up 3G. It won't reach near the speeds of a true 4G LTE network, which is why everyone is starting to implement them. From what I understand (I may be wrong, so don't quote me on this), when the technology was coming about, Verizon went with the 4G LTE, while all the other carriers chose the cheaper 4G. Now they are all struggling to catch up to Verizon, who had a big head start building their LTE network.

I've clocked speeds up to 63mbps on 4G LTE.

Had a busy last couple days and am only at ~22GB right now. Time for more movie streaming!

19. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

You'd think that they'd rather upgrade once to get to the next best spec, probably cheaper in the long run, but I suppose the shareholders don't care for the smaller profit numbers. Overall, I've been happy with Verizon's coverage in my area. 4g in a sub 100,000 population in the 4 or 5 towns that are all bunched together in my area means I can consistently pull down 50-60mbps, and get 80 or so during the "off-peak" hours. My home internet is 30, doubling to 60 at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

20. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

we use 200gb of data a month but of course that isn't for mobile. isn't as hard as it sounds.