1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

That ONE detail that stops you from a purchase.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by epicelite, Jan 15, 2012.

1. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I would like to add my opinion to the shipping gripe. Yes, there are some companies that charge too much for shipping. It can be for a number of reasons though. Perhaps they do not get the deep discounts like the big boys. Perhaps they only use UPS instead of USPS. Perhaps they are charging for "handling". Perhaps they ARE out to make profit on shipping. Whatever the reason, be aware of the true shipping costs before you make assumptions. If you want to use UPS because you want your package trackable, be aware that their increase in rates, plus the fuel surcharges can easily cost over $10. UPS has a minimum weight of 1 lb so small items can be expensive to ship via UPS. Compare with USPS first class for a small item, possibly $2-$3. Regardless, I have been angry at some places for seemingly overcharging me on shipping, only to find that when I plug the shipping addresses into the UPS web site they are quoting accurate rates. TIP: UPS shipping rates for packages delivered to a business will be cheaper than residential deliveries, so if possible, have the packages delivered to your work address. Now, whether or not the company is giving you real-time quotes is another issue.

Shipping charges are getting out of hand. USPS is raising their rates again to cover their inefficiencies, and UPS/Fed-Ex are horrible to use for small EDC items. But as someone mentioned, sometimes if you can avoid the sales tax it might be worth the tradeoff. But I do feel sorry for people outside the US buying from US companies (if they are even lucky enough to get the company to ship Internationally). Shipping costs and import duties can make it impossible to buy some items.

2. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

It used to be shipping but I just got my hours cut in half at work so now it's fund's :(

3. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Bummer, I hope that it doesn't affect y'all too badly.
    Been there, done that. As a result, I had to let the bank repo my truck. Not necessarily a bad thing. I get to ride my bike more.
    I feel better physically and mentally than I had in years.

4. HybridMomentsPass

Its tough, thats for sure. I was laid off about 1.5 years ago and was very difficult finding work (have since started school and not looking for full-time employment)

Good luck JA

5. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

The place where I work cut the hours drastically for the entire place then management can't figure out why stuff isn't getting done.

6. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

+1.

7. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Sounds about right. Kinda makes one wonder what is happening in their heads.

8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Well yeah. No matter what I said before PRICE comes first!

By my own fault (caused by where/when/and what came before they sent me) I screwed myself out of an 18 wheeler job.

Where I live hot shot companies won't take me.

So funds are very scarce!

9. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Rather than trying to make money through sales they save money through cutting payroll, in order to keep the payroll in line. My reason for no completing a purchase has been shipping cost. I went to purchase an item then you get that it is oversized so they have to add on a surcharge, so I hit cancel order.

10. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I know it is an anti-fraud technique, but I hate having a seller insist the ship to" match the" billing" address. I prefer to have things shipped to work where someone can sign for them.

11. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

JetBeam PA01 if only it didn't have the strobe or at least it was hidden.

12. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

Me three. I just canceled a post in another sub-forum here because I didn't want to come off as an AH, but now I can proceed to say more or less what I canceled in the other post. Essentially what I didn't say was that the very nice EDC item being discussed was $60 for essentially a small item that to me maybe didn't look like it should cost $60, particularly since I had just spent about $60 on 10 very high quality items (heavily reviewed as Extreme High Value items on Y-Tube) that happen to be made in another country. Unavoidably, value for dollar trumps many other considerations for me personally.

13. HybridMomentsPass

I dont buy from places that refuse to ship to PO Boxes

14. TCC

TCC Loaded Pockets

I will not buy a knife that is tip up carry only. I've just never liked carrying my knives in that fashion.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Much of the time, the guys promoted to management positions are the brown-nosers, the Yes-men, and the suck-ups. Even in the financial district at Manhattan. (Speaking from experience.) Those are not the best guys for the job. Especially since they often lack any long-term vision, and often do what they think is best for the short run in order to make or, quite often, try to save money. It honestly doesn't occur to them that treating their work-force like garbage will result in diminished performance.

16. aedmband21

aedmband21 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a bad experience. I know you said "much of the time" but still a pretty broad statement...

17. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

If it's on eBay, I have great difficulty buying from any seller who has less than 100% feedback.

I've also had bad experiences with UPS in the past so it is discouraging when I'm buying something and UPS is the only method of shipping.

And furthermore, high shipping costs. Which is probably why I still haven't bought anything from CountyComm.

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

And I will almost never buy one that is only tip down!

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No, no. I'm not basing that on simply one or two experiences. It happens way too often.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've lost track of how many buyers I've encountered on the various different forums I frequent, who have been royally screwed over by sellers with 100% feedback on ebay. When it comes to the world's largest flea-market, I just don't bother.