1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Thank you all for allowing me to join.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by swlman, Apr 13, 2009.

1. swlman

swlman Empty Pockets

I came across the acronym EDC on two different bushcraft sites and after deciphering what EDC meant, had a lot of fun reading about the stuff people burden themselves with. What with cargo pants stuffed with God knows what, belt pouches of all sorts, one for this, one for that, one for......uh I forget. Not to mention the vests festooned with pockets, all of which need filling with something. When I found this site as part of a post on BushcraftUSA, I wanted to see what more could be said about what we carry on our person and why we do it.
    First off, I am male, nearly 60 years old, am outdoors fishing, walking, tracking or some such thing nearly everyday. I am also an avid reader and SWL. My EDC kit started when I was about 9 or 10 years old as a Johnson and Johnson Bandaid can. It was filled with all kinds of stuff: fishing tackle, a single edge razor blade(with a piece of masking tape on the working edge), some copper wire, matches, there was also piece of tin foil if mom would give it to us, and ususally a candy bar of some kind. Each of us added our own bits and pieces out of personal preference but we basically carried the same stuff. I do remember one big improvement. My grandfather gave my one of his used PA tobacco cans. Now my kit was waterproof and I could fit an old railroad notepad and a pencil in the kit also. The one thing all of us did carry was a pocket knife of some kind. Usually a Barlow or some kind of 2 bladed jackknife, an old boy scout knife, or any other knife we could beg or get as a gift.
    Now, nearly 50 years later, I find I carry much the same stuff. In a velcro seal pouch, about the size of a business card, I made from duct tape I carry some fishing stuff, mini sewing kit, a couple of nails?, ibuprofen and benadryl, tums powder, a few bandaids and two antiseptic ointment pads. It goes in my left pants pocket whenever I leave the house. I also carry a SAK everywhere. This one is a little different, as Wenger and Buck Knives got together and produced a version in the early 90's that has an American clip mainblade instead of the standard spear point blade. Yes, it is carried in a pouch I made up from, wait for it...............duct tape!!! and held on a belt loop with a small caribiner. My key caribiner has a button compass, a P-38, keys of course, and 2 dog tags. One is mine,class of 70, hoo-rahh, and one is my fathers, regular Army, SgtMaj, 25 years. RIP.
    Once again thanks for having me.
    Steve Cross--swlman

2. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Thanks for joining, swlman! Looking forward to benefiting from your years of experience over mine! :popcorn:

3. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Welcome aboard!

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome Steve. I have enjoyed SWLing, BCB DXing, etc, too. Lots of fun.

5. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

6. swlman

swlman Empty Pockets

Nice to meet you Landwire,
    I subscribe to three sites, bushcraftuk.com, bushcraftusa.com, and woodcraft-wildlife tracking network also in the uk. I have read some of ravenlores posts on the bushcraftuk site. His experience and information is top drawer.

7. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!

8. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

:welcome: swlman

9. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

Welcome to EDCF! I look forward to hearing your ideas on your EDC gear.

Happy Carrying
    GuardDog

10. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDCF family!! :highfive:

11. Schattenwolf

Schattenwolf Empty Pockets

Servus and :welcome: to the EDCF community!