1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tempted to buy a GR1

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by hawkeye180, Mar 22, 2015.

1. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the cheap SD26 models last year and it just increased my appetite for a real GoRuck bag.

The thing is, I use my Synapse 25 everyday.

I haven't seen many discussions on Goruck bags here.

Gilatabar likes this.
  2. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Then buy it my friend :D

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I wish they still made the SD line. I want one, but came in too late

1k2go and malraux72 like this.
  4. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

do it.
    I have had a couple different bags form them - and love them

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently had to decide on a new bag too and the GR1 was one in the running.
    In the end it was between the GR1,Synapse 25 and the Camelbak UA Dispatch.

The Vertx Gamut was the last one that I tried but it just did not have enough carrying capacity for me in use.I now own the Gamut but am not in love with it at all.

I needed to be able to carry my MBP 17" and don't really like the way the GR1 carries it behind the straps requiring me to move them out of the way to get the computer in and out. I know one can also go in the main compartment but then it is not as protected as it would be in its own space.

The Gamut will easily carry the computer in its own spot but then there is just too little space left after it is in there. If I stick the computer in the back it turns out just like the GR1 needing the straps fiddled with to get to the machine.
    The Synapse 25 is just not big enough to safely carry the computer but like you I love the design and have carried my 19 everywhere for a long time so I just wish the 25 were big enough.

So that left the Camelbak which is the one I chose.

After using it all last week on the road I have really come to appreciate the design and construction of the bag and feel pretty good about the choice and would urge you to consider one as well.
    The Dispatch is pricier than the standard UA but has some unique features too.
    Either will be a nice choice.

The material choices on the Camelbak are pretty amazing and a lot tougher than I thought though probably not as rugged as a GR1 but the Camel is also pretty light and pliable for the size where I understand the GR1 has to be broken in to be comfortable to use?

What I am the most amazed by is how the fabric is cut and sewn to ride inside or outside the space it serves depending on how it is loaded.
    I can load the side pockets but they move inside the bag if there is space but to the outside if not.
    Same with each pocket on the bag and the Beavertail as well,just overall a really well thought out design.
    The Synapse does this too but not as much.
    The Vertx looks similar at first but in use just falls short with this and always feels cramped to me in every compartment at the same time?

I also was able to cram a lot more in than I thought possible and the bag just keeps swallowing it all and pushing outward to accept the load as needed.
    There is also a lot more organization in the Camelbak than in the GR1 and ultimately this is what I really prefer in a bag.

I bet you will be happy either way but the Camelbak is just another option to consider.

6. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

I've been testing out a GR0 and have mixed feelings. After taking it on a few hikes, through the airport, to work, and to the shooting range, I found that it is like a swiss army knife--it can do lots of things, but none of them really well. It's something that I like about the bag but also prevents me from wanting to use it.

Positive:
    I like the way it opens. It is easy to pack and works well with packing cubes. I also like the elastic pouch on the inside--this can secure water, a laptop or papers, books, packing cubes, ammo, etc. It doesnt have many dangly straps on it. Fairly comfortable without a laptop in the laptop compartment. Aesthetic works for almost any situation.

Negative:
    It is uncomfortable when a laptop is in the back, and it is awkward to get the laptop out as EZDog said. Needed some time to break in, probably needs more. There are no small pockets for little things like keys or pens. I'm not a fan of molle, but I knew that would annoy me before buying.

It is similar to when I was searching for a pocket knife--I got the idea in my head to find the one knife for all occasions, but have since settled on three knives that work really well in their niches. This bag wants to be your work/travel/play bag, but I dont think it is ideal for any of them and it is probably better to just get three separate bags.

7. hawkeye180

I have similar reservations after using the SD26. It works well but not great all the time. I do like the straps and the zipper pulls and there is just something about the bag that keeps me from really devoting a lot of time and use to it. Instead I always go right back to my Synapse 25 which has been with me to England, Dubai and Uganda. It has never failed me, and has been the perfect travel companion on trips and in everyday life.

I suppose I just want to try the Goruck because I see what people do with them and honestly they are cool. I want to go on hikes and travel with just one bag with it. You could say that I bought into the advertising.

8. mich3210

mich3210 Loaded Pockets

Where did you get your Dispatch? Are you LE or Military? I'm not ND haven't found anywhere that I might be able to get one. I'm torn between that and the Gamut. However I'm not looking to tote a laptop around all the time.

9. hawkeye180

I can add this, maybe I would like a FAST Pack EDC from Triple Aught design. Although its more expensive and more conspicuous.

This thread keeps reminding me why I love my Synapse 25, it excels at so much. It is a great pack to remain inconspicuous, it doesn't give up capability but keeps me looking non-tactical. That is especially nice when traveling.

Now the black GR1 could be inconspicuous but not like a Synapse 25.

Pete3 likes this.
  10. Mr Doode

Mr Doode Loaded Pockets

What are all Y'all hiding from?

11. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just my 2 cents - never put a laptop on my GR1 and most likely never will. I've loaded mine up with 40+ pounds of gear many times, carried it in FL downpours, even swam with it on a couple occasions and it still looks brand new. Exactly what I expected for a $300 ruck. Very pleased.

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My GR1 is my primary laptop bag and I love it. After about two and a half years of hard use I recently had to replace a zipper pull -- GoRuck sent me the repair kit for that at no charge. Otherwise it still looks brand new.

I also have the SERT EDC backpack and it's a nice compromise if I need to go a bit bigger than the GR1, say for a one-bag overnight trip. It's a heck of a lot less expensive, too.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah I forgot to mention that I was also considering the Sert pack but it was out of stock by the time I had to make a decision,of course!
    I really want to try one still but......

14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

You can't have mine. But it does appear that both colors are in stock now.

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Used a GR1 daily for EDC over the course of 2 1/2 years. Recently switched over to the newer TAD Litespeed as I didn't quite need all the volume. I was able to sell the GR1 for nearly as much as I paid for it. They definitely hold their value and are very well built.

Bags and packs are such a personal choice. Lots of great choices out there. One thing I will say that the GR1 got me hooked on -- panel loaders. It's just *so* much easier to simply unzip a couple of zippers and have access to everything in the pack. This is especially nice for EDC usage and while traveling.

Full disclosure: Still have a GR Bullet 10L, and I think that's a nice size for EDC if you aren't carrying tons of stuff. Holds the basics really well. Something to think about if the GR1 is too big for you.

Pete3 likes this.
  16. hawkeye180

I am not really hiding from anything in particular. I lived in Uganda and South Africa, I know what its like to be conspicuous everywhere you go. I don't want a bag that makes me stand out more.

malraux72 likes this.
  17. Mr Doode

Mr Doode Loaded Pockets

Your shoes say more about you than your bag.

I was born in Brazil grew up in the middle east and somehow my first language was French. I've been speaking Arabic since I was a toddler, but I would never claim to blend in. I'm about 370 shades whiter than the average person walking down the street in Dammam.

Gh0st, hawkeye180 and bigfoot like this.
  18. 1k2go

1k2go Loaded Pockets

I have a GR1 and a GR2. Also have a Fast Pack EDC that I've never used. The GR1 is my go-to for just about everything. The TAD Fast Pack is getting sold, and will probably replace it with a Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault.

Just my two cents...

19. NeWt
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeWt Loaded Pockets

I have had the GR1 for just over a year now. I love the bag...BUT....

I don't think it's my EDC "end of the rainbow" pack.

You can read my observations here: http://edcforums.com/threads/new-arrival.118484/page-2#post-2213179

Like I said...I LOVE the bag, but for an EDC, it doesn't quite measure up.

...still looking for the perfect bag. :Juggle:

20. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

PLUS
    PLUS ONE !