1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your favorite Mac apps

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Stonerman33, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

So I've found the iOS app threads as well as the android ones, but what apps are fellow Mac users getting good use of in osX? Doesn't need to be edc related, just useful tools that make life a little easier or better organized. I've been a windows based PC user for all 27 of my years, but just bought my first macbook pro last week. I'm particularly interested I'm automation type apps like hazel and what not, but tell me what you are using in day to day life.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

I haven't gotten any besides Keynote from my iMac. Subscribed for curiosity!

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The ones I use a lot (besides the included iLife bundle): Office 2011 (though Pages does everything I use Word for) Garagesale (ebay listing software). Endicia (USPS shipping software) Aperture (photo org and adjustment), Billings (invoicing), Evernote (same as iOS), garagepay (paypal mgt), Filemaker Pro (database), Photoshop Elements.

I'm an Apple Certified Consultant, so I have and play with a lot more, but the above is my main collection.

goosefacer and Stonerman33 like this.
  4. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I don't really care to sign up for the MS live 365 subscription as I don't use it a lot these days, so I'm seriously considering buying into iWork as needed. I use day one for a kind of personal journal/photo album type thing. Gotta learn what all the fuss is about with regards to writing in markdown. I also set up automater to monitor my cell phone camera picture upload folder in Dropbox and automatically import them into iphoto as a makeshift "photostream" with an Android phone. Seems to work out pretty good so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

5. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

what i use a lot: numerology pro, logic pro, safari, ical, itunes, spotify, aperture.

6. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently installed FileMaker Pro for our Creative Dept - pretty slick app.

Quicksilver is an awesome app for creating your own keyboard shortcuts. Caffeine for keeping your screen from going to sleep. Breakaway is nice for listening to music with headphones (pauses music when headphones are disconnected). MacKeeper Pro is nice for keeping apps up to date (apps installed outside of the App Store). Office is nice if you do work on a PC as well.

7. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I work with a lot of different platforms (Mac, Windows, ChromeOs, Linux, iOS, Android) so I like most of my apps to work cross-platform. I use the Mac versions of Office, Chrome, Evernote, Wunderlist, Notational Velocity and Thunderbird. Mac specific apps include SuperDuper, Alfred and Dragthing, all of which are fantastic.

8. Hambone2121

Hambone2121 Empty Pockets

Tally Counter, Maps, Tunein Radio, Air Wings, Big Words, iFart, Vine, Where's My Water, A-Breaker...

9. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Alfred

did I mention Alfred

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I use a bunch of apps

Onyx (clears out caches and keeps everything running nice)
    VLC - video player
    Handbrake - a video encoding program (for converting dvds to play on iphones etc)
    Photoshop/lightroom - photo editing archival programs
    Iphoto - used only with icloud for my iphone pics
    Itunes - music and syncin my iphone
    Filezilla (on work MBPro) and Captain FTP (on personal MBAir) - for FTPing pictures to the office - probably not neccesary for most people
    DropBox - for file sharing/storage in the cloud
    I also have two batch scripts i use a lot at work, one is an image resizer (will also convert tiff and bmp to jpg)
    And the other is a file renamer - renames the files ddmmyyfilenameX (where x is a sequential number that doesnt have to start at 1)
    Thats all i can think of at the moment - but will update when i fire my mac up and have a look next

Last edited by echo63, Jun 24, 2013
  11. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I'll add another vote for Evernote, Quicksilver, Handbrake, and Drobox.

Looking at my menu bar I also see:
    Fantastical (great calendar app)
    Adium (multi-client IM app)
    LittleSnitch (network monitor/management)
    iStatMenus (for monitoring the performance of your machine)
    Clarify (easy way to make instructional or step-by-step documents)
    1Password (makes online life easier)
    Boom (gives more control over little laptop speakers with iTunes)
    Office for Mac (I think I have 2011)
    Adobe CS4 apps
    CleanMyMac (free up disk space and clean up cruft)
    Parallels (for running Windows virtual machines so I can do cross browser testing)
    TechTool Pro (for testing and tuning your machine)
    Spotify (tunes!)
    Chrome (interwebz)

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Evernote (notes/scrapbook), Cloudapp (fast file and image sharing), and Muse (for Pandora)

13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

While it's not specific to Mac OS X, Macromedia FreeHand (and its antecedent Altsys Virtuoso) is the one vector drawing program which I find to be:

- elegant
    - efficient
    - productive
    - reliable
    - capable

I've used pretty much everything else (Illustrator since v3.2, CorelDRAW since v1.21, Canvas since v4 or so, InkScape since v0something, &c.) and nothing else works as well.

If Macromedia had gone back to the Altsys Virtuoso codebase as I suggested during the beta, it'd've been a native Cocoa app.

14. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

Pendrive linux maker to wipe Mac OS and put on a proper linux distro

VinceRN likes this.
  15. Butch007

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

I do websites as a hobby business and I only use Macs. My main osx go-to apps are iWorks, Photoshop, Transmit, CSSEdit and Expresso.
    The Terminal is your power tool (you've got to learn unix)
    Always playing with FinalCut Pro, Sketchbook Express and Illustrator.

I've also been Microsoft free for well over a decade. Don't let anyone convince you about compatibility issues -- be creative and find your way.

16. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

It all depends on what you do "day to day"... For me iTunes, Postbox, BusyCal, Adium, Evernote, Chrome, iTerm2 are just a few that I use all the time... But I can't go a few hours without opening up either XCode, ADT, or SublimeText. Apperture is a great one too for sure, and Garage Band.

What do you do "day to day", so we can better help you. New Posts

17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I had never used a mac till i started with my current employer (nearly 5 years ago)
    After using one for a week i went out and bought one
    The only compatibility issues i have run into with a Mac are NTFS formatted drive incompatibilitys and my HFS+ format drive being unusable by friend's PCs - and there being no app to lodge my Tax return with the ATO (i believe there is one this year though

18. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

On my MacBook Pro I use all the Adobe CS5 apps. On my iPhone I use: HDR Pro, Excellent B&W and Weather Chanel.

19. BigRob
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

BigRob Loaded Pockets

Ringer. I love making my own ringtones for my phone. And of course Office and GarageBand but pretty much I just use my laptop now that I've graduated for Excel keeping a budget and for iTunes and the internet...