1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Taurus Arms questions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by revs, Feb 7, 2010.

1. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Ok, I am looking at a couple Taurus pistols. I was curious as to what you guys think off Taurus in general. Apparently the local gun shops aren't fond of them for some reason. I have read a few of the posts about them here on the forum, but want some more opinions on the quality of their pistols.

If you are curious, I am looking at a TCP for carrying when it is warmer-Utah summers get hot, a 1911 because I want one and the Sprignfields are a bit out of my price range at the moment, and possibly a .38 revolver just to rotate around with the Glock 19 I currently have. Besides, everyone should have a revolver, right? :)

Thanks all.

2. Detox

Detox Loaded Pockets

Personally I do not have any experience with Taurus. So if you choose to discredit this post feel free
    I have had numerous people tell me after using a Taurus their experience was negative. Ranging from feel to actual mechanical problems.
    Like I said I've had no experience with the brand but if I had to spend my money I'd most likely spend it elsewhere. S&W makes a great revolver and I'd first look there but if I were you I'd shoot a Taurus to see how it felt/performed. After all it's all up to you and how it feels/performs in YOUR hands. There is nothing wrong with Taurus and I've yet to shoot one. Coming from a Ruger LCP that I EDC I wouldn't mind shooting a nice revolver just for a change of pace.

3. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

Not being a smart alek, but why? I've carried 19s for many years, and never had a real reason to carry something smaller- unless I was at the beach and swimming.

To directly address Taurus: I have a PT-22, and am very pleased with it. I also went through, and did some detail work on it. Taurus is very much hit or miss, if you recognize that you may have to do some work and/or return the gun to have one that works, they may be worth the gamble. Their older (1990s) revos can be very nice.

If that isn't what you want/are willing to do, shop around for a used Airweight, or if you just want a revo, and don't care about weight, a SP101.

4. preacher

preacher Loaded Pockets

Probably the mentality of the local shops is from way back when a Taurus was not very high quality.

However, those days are Looong behind them. Taurus makes a fine product and my EDC is a PT145.

I have limited experience with their revolvers but will say this, my LEO brother carries a Taurus 850 CIA as his backup. So if it is good enough for the police to trust their life with, I think that speaks very loudly. And if I were in the market for a revolver, Taurus would be in my top 5 for consideration just based on my trust of their product.

5. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Why? Because I grew up around revolvers and like the feel of them. But, I love my Glock. And, if I am out of town for work and the wife wants something a bit more portable than the 870 she can grab whatever she is most comfortable with. I usually take the G19 with me when I go and personally would feel safer with a revolver for her to keep around the house. I will definitely take her out and let her shoot any of them she wants. That way she can use what she feels most comfortable with. If she likes the G19, then I carry the revolver or TCP.

How detailed of work? Polishing internals? Or more detailed? I have a family member that is a part time gunsmith, so getting work done wouldn't be too hard. Polishing I can do.

6. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I'm not a fan of Taurus. I bought a 9mm 24/7 Pro for the gf about 2yrs ago. The plastic dust caps, as Taurus calls them, on the back of the slide would constantly fall off when she was shooting it and they had to be replaced several times since they'd disappear after going into orbit. The trigger was the worst part (at least that didn't fall off the gun while it was being shot) and caused her to sell it. After arguing w/ Taurus CS to get the parts and then losing the 2nd replacement I gave up. She has a G19 now and all is well.

We may have just ended up with a lemon but it was enough to convince me not to buy another gun from them. YMMV

7. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I have a PT92S and have had no problems and I spend alot of time at the range. Trigger action is not great but I haven't (and probably won't) put any money into trigger work. The only thing I do not like is the arc (or lack there of) the shells take during ejection. I have ended up with several hot empties on my arm and melon. Not pleasant. Other then that, I pull the trigger it goes boom.

I think they are a fine gun if you are willing to understand you are not buying a high end piece. Kind of like its name it is the Ford Taurus of guns. Not as nice as a BMW but will get you whee you need to go.

8. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

Hmmm...with all due respect, I am of the opposite opinion. Taurus used to make a very high quality handgun, back in the day (as mentioned before, 1990s and earlier), when they were still trying to establish themselves in the U.S. market. While their guns are not junk, they do seem to be more "hit-and-miss" than in the past.

A very good friend of mine purchased the exact same gun for his wife to CCW, and he had a problem with it. When pulling the trigger very rapidly, it would occasionally "lock up", wherein the trigger would not pull through and the gun would not fire. He sent it back to Taurus for warranty repair, and they claimed it was fine. When he got it back, it still did the same thing. I witnessed the problem, it was real, and it was there. His only recourse was to sell it, and he advised the buyer of the problem, so of course he lost money on it.

You say that Taurus would be in your top 5 choice of revolver? Perhaps you intended that to be complimentary to Taurus...but when I think about it...what are your choices? I mean, for me it's: 1) S&W (pre-lock), 2) Dan Wesson (not sure about their current line, but their older guns were excellent), 3) Ruger, 4) Colt. So for the number 5 slot, the only other manufacturers I can think of are Taurus/Rossi, Korth (which would actually be my #1 choice...if I were wealthy. Since I'm not, I excluded them), and Charter Arms/Charco/whatever they are called today. So, excluding Charter Arms, which I'd never own, and Korth, which I'll never be able to afford...I guess Taurus makes my top 5 choices for revolvers too...since I only have 5 choices! I've also excluded Uberti and others who build single actions, mostly Colt SAA clones, since I'm thinking of mostly DA defensive revolvers.

Preacher...I'm sorry if it seems I'm picking on you, that's not my intention. It just happened that you mentioned Taurus' past quality, and that you mentioned the Taurus 850 CIA specifically, and I had opinions on both of those. And I just noticed the "top 5" comment, and it got me to thinking.

As for my experiences with Taurus, aside from what I've already mentioned...I have several friends who've owned their semi-autos, and none of them were thrilled with them. They've since sold them...and say they don't picture themselves ever buying another Taurus. As for me...I've only owned one Taurus. It was a model 669, .357 with a 4 in. bbl. I bought it brand new for $189 back in 1991. I never had a single problem with it, it shot great, and was quite accurate. I finally decided to sell it when I decided I had more .357s than I needed, and someone offered me $325 for it.

So...I don't see myself ever owning a Taurus semi-auto (unless Taurus improves their line), but I might purchase a Taurus revolver some day, if it was built in the early 90's or earlier, or if I were buying it purely as a "range" gun, and I didn't intend to trust my life with it.

Tim

9. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I've had a PT-99 for the last 20 years. I've temporarily owned a lot of other handguns and rifles. But eventually, the enjoyment fades and they get sold off again. The Taurus is the only one that's stood the test of time.

10. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

I have heard good things about them for the most part. Heard the 24/7 is good, and have heard the Judge is well made also. They have started making most if not all of their guns in the US. There new catalogue is awesome. They have taken the Judge to its full extent. Totally cool.

11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I love my Model 607. It's the 7 shot 357mag 6.5" barrel compensated. The same frame later had cylinders that held 8 shots and there is a lot of extra metal in the 7 shot cylinders. I have shot some hellacious handloads (110gr 2150 fps) and it has been pleasant(recoil wise, muzzle blast is something else :idiot2:), and accurate.

12. el_diabl0

el_diabl0 Loaded Pockets

I have a PT99, PT111, and 605b in .357. All are great guns, and I LOVE the PT99. Smooth shooting and highly accurate. The only issue I've had is cheap grips on the .357. They came loose after the first box of ammo, but hey, it's a hand cannon. I am in the process of trading it in for an SP101 though, mostly because I like the look of the Ruger a little better.

13. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

I've had both good and bad guns from Taurus.

years ago I had a PT99AF that was flawless for many, many rounds. I've also had a couple fothier revolvers that were good to very good.

Most recently I've had two brand new 5 shot .357mag Centennial style revolvers (I forget the model number) that wouldn't fire due to serious QC issues.

14. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for your input. It will be a couple weeks before I actually pick one up, but I am going to try to go look at a few more to see if they are really what I want. Maybe I can find a LCP in stock to see how it feels in the hand. All the local shops are sold out.

15. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

If you are looking at one of their revolverss you can do quite a bit of QC checking in the store, like checking the trigger, timing on the cylinder, etc.

Pistols? Well, some, but mostly you have to shoot them to know.

16. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I have a Taurus 22 cal. revolver and it's great for the money, no QC problems with my gun.

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Same here. I picked one of those up for plinking because they were inexpensive, and it has been a good gun overall. My wife likes it because it is easier for her to operate vs. my semi-autos.

18. usmc18

usmc18 Loaded Pockets

I own about 15 handguns. Everything from Glock, Springfield, Kimber, Taurus, Kel TEc, Ruger, Walther, Colt, Browning, and S&W.

The Two Taurus that own are the Tracker in 17HMR revolver that I use for Hunting and the PT 745 C in 45acp. I love my Taurus. They are the most affordable of the ones that I own. The PT 745 is my primary EDC. Can't say enough good things about it. They also have lifetime warranties. Now I don't carry a pistol on me all the time. However, it is always in a small bagmaster case in the door compartment of my truck when not on me. It is usually the gun I throw in my bag also when taking trips. I have several friends that have liked mine so much they now own them as well. Get a Don Hume holster for it and you are set. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up from me....

19. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

Without writing a book on guns, I will try ro make this easy. If you are having a fantasy for a Taurus, if it is a new one, it will be fine (I am hoping your decision for this one, of your top 5 choices is financial)

If you get stuck with one of the OLDER ones then you will have buyers remorse and have a foul mouth. They are totally different guns, old is junk new is not.

The mention of a Korth in one of these posts should probably be a fantasy (in the $two grand catagory I dont think I would want to EDC one).

In reality S&W quality is down. I would look for a pre lock one. If you are really serious about quality a pinned barrel one will assure you that it is a vintage piece.

The Dan Wession Is more of a gimic giving multi barrel length versitility. It requires constant care. I read of a NYPD officers death some time back from a malfunction of a Dan Wession. It was a night stand drawer gun(they were not and are not allowed to carry these, I wonder why). His apartment was buy a train. over the years the gun sat in the drawer. The minor vibrations over the years allowed the barrel to tighten the forcing cone to the cylinder, after it had been properly set up some time back. When an armed intruder entered via his fire escape and he pulled his Dan Wesson, it was locked up and he bit the farm.

If you are looking for a reasonable priced high quality .357, you will not have buyers remorse with a Ruger. Weather an old Securitry-Six or a new model, it will still probably be perfect when passed down to your family members one hundred years (for real) from now. On the same note some old (75+ y/o) S&W's are much better than the new ones.

20. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

Well...this seems to contradict most of what I've witnessed, in addition to the majority of opinions in this thread. I understand that doesn't make it fact, but by the same token...newer is not necessarily better, and it would seem even less so in regards to Taurus (and S&W) quality. Again...by most indicators, the older Tauruses built in the early '90s and before seem to have a better track record for build quality, or at least for a consistent build quality. Some Tauruses built today may be superb, but some are definitely sub par, whereas the older examples seemed to be consistently...respectable.

Yeah...I believe I mentioned that it was mostly a fantasy as well. However, it still is thought of as likely the finest combat revolver in the world. If I were capable of affording one, and wanted to EDC a revolver, I can guarantee you that Korth would be on my list...WAAAAAY before Taurus.

I agree that S&W quality is not what it used to be...and the IL seems to be a disaster, and I won't own one (unless perhaps the gun was specifically for range use only, and there was no chance of my life depending on it.) I don't personally feel that it's necessary to search out a pinned barrel to find a quality S&W. Also, the pinned barrels are more collectible, so may bring a higher price.

I've never heard Dan Wessons being referred to as a "gimmick" before. Gosh...one malfunctioned once! I beg to differ with you...they do NOT require constant care. If you assemble it correctly, it requires no more maintenance than any other DA revolver. From what you've said, I can imagine that he set the barrel/cylinder gap too tight (because he didn't use the feeler gage) so that the barrel was rubbing against the cylinder. To say that, "The minor vibrations over the years allowed the barrel to tighten the forcing cone to the cylinder, after it had been properly set up some time back" is a bit specious. To begin with, there is a bushing which tightens onto the muzzle end of the barrel, which prevents the barrel from moving either out or in from the frame. Also, lets think about this...the barrel moved, "over the years" ? Since the normal procedure for cleaning the gun would be to remove the barrel to clean it, and then reset the barrel/cylinder gap when reinstalling the barrel...this statement makes no sense. Either he: A. set the barrel/cylinder gap incorrectly, which is OPERATOR ERROR, or B. he fired many, many rounds over the years, and never cleaned it, which is OPERATOR ERROR. Either way, it sounds as though the operator was at fault, not the weapon.

I've put thousands of rounds through my Dan Wessons, and I can assure you, I've never had the slightest suggestion of a malfunction. Can any weapon malfunction? Sure. I've had an older S&W lock up so securely it took 15 minutes and a whole lot of effort to free it up. But Dan Wessons are easily just as high quality as the better S&Ws, and generally higher quality than Taurus, Colt, and Ruger.

No argument here. A Ruger would likely be a better, safer choice than a Taurus. Again. older S&Ws are excellent guns as well...but you might run into a cost issue because of increased collector appeal.

Tim