1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tangent: Recap sharps?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by kirbysdl, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

For the pros out there, are you taught/instructed/required to recap sharps before putting them into a sharps container? At work, we (non medical staff) are told to put sharps into a sharps container without recapping them, e.g. if we have to self-administer insulin or medicines. However, the staff at most doctor's offices, clinics, etc. I go to seem to recap before disposing. This question is only for cases where there's an appropriate sharps container around.

Just curious. =)

2. nemoaz

nemoaz Loaded Pockets

No, you don't recap them.

littlequick likes this.
  3. kennyk

kennyk Empty Pockets

I work in a hospital as a Medical Technologist (lab tech) and I was taught not to recap, but if you had to, you use the scoop technique to prevent an accidental stick.

4. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Just don't recap, be safe and aware.

5. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the confirmation. =)

I take it "scoop method" means you lay the cap on its side on a desk and scoop it up with the needle?

6. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

Yes
    Seems like most syringes I see now have some sort of mechanism (needle pulls back in or something covers it) that makes recapping redundant anyway

7. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

We're taught not to recap however a lot of older paramedics will. Fortunately now that we have changed the type of bung we use on our IV access (so that no needle is needed to penetrate the bung, it just screws on) the practice won't occur nearly as much. It's not a good practice to get in to- especially when you're on an ambulance and the scoop method is just as likely to get you stuck as any other :p

8. nemoaz

nemoaz Loaded Pockets

That's probably what you are seeing them do BTW, using those needles that retract into themselves after use.

9. smellypaddler

smellypaddler Loaded Pockets

I only re-cap blunt drawing up needles when needed. For example when drawing up morph I draw up 9mls NS into the syringe from a 10ml polyamp (no needle needed). Then I attach a drawing up needle that is used to draw up the morph from the ampoule. I then recap the drawing up needle to protect the sterility of the syringe end and pop the lot into my top pocket for subsequent doses.

10. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

Are you guys still using the bungs down south that require a needle to administer or are you using the screw on bungs? Because if you're using the screw on bungs you should also have screw on protector caps that maintain sterility when they're in your pocket :p They're awesomely useful!

11. smellypaddler

smellypaddler Loaded Pockets

We haven't used bungs that need needles for years but what caps are you talking about? There are the protective caps on the IV tap but no general ones to protect the end of syringes.

12. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

RTs only use needles to draw ABGs and the kit comes with a tube that stands upright so the needle can be inserted into the tube and then the tube used to remove the needle so the blood can be inserted inro the ABG processor. So we do not recap needles. A very long time ago, "in the olden days" we used the 1 hand scoop method

13. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Pretty much every needle has a safety method. When you're done, some mechanism either retracts the needle or caps it.

14. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

That's pretty awesome. I had no idea syringes have gotten so many improvements over the years! I'll have to pay closer attention next time I go in for something. =)

15. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

We use these:
    [​IMG]

We only phased in needleless bungs in the last year though. My first on road prac we were still using needles to puncture the bungs. It wasnt til this prac that I used needleless ones.

I'll upload a pic of that on a syringe soon :3

16. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Lol this posted every where in the oldest part of the building, where I work:
    [​IMG]
    But I guess if it has been improved, that's awesome. I would love to see more of these syringes and stuff.
    (Can't wait to work in a more advanced facility..)

17. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

You can use an empty water bottle or similar container in the field to put sharps in, too....

18. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Recapping a needle is a bad idea. As a paramedic, especially in the rear of a moving ambulance, there is no way I would recap a needle. the risk of an accidental stick is just too high. Besides, most needles now-a-days have a safety cap attached to the hub of the needle that snaps over the needle once used.

19. Dapple

Dapple Loaded Pockets

On a related note, if you might be using a non-retracting needle in a setting that doesn't have an appropriate sharps container handy, it's a good idea to carry an extra cap in case the original manages to disappear into oblivion during the injection.