1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tamron SP 70‑200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 - Anyone have this?

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by kikaida, Jul 3, 2018.

1. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at this zoom lens for portrait photography and travel where I want the reach of a zoom. This lens comes in Nikon and Canon mounts, and since I've already invested in Nikon lenses, I would like to get one of these lenses for my Nikons.

I've seen these lenses priced between $1,100 and $1,300, and I've seen reviews on youtube and reviews online saying the lens is nearly on par with Nikon's expensive Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR, which is more than double the price. Frankly, I'm just an amateur and not a pro, so I don't want or need to invest in a $2,800 lens. From the reviews I've read, the only advantage the Nikon lens has over the Tamron, is that the Nikon doesn't have the focus breathing issue.

So I'm wondering if anyone has this lens and is it really worth the price, or if there is anything comparable or better.

2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Tamron goes back to my 35 mm Nikon days, we stuck with Nikkor. I was just learning 35mm then. I think I had some Tamron accessories.

3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I have the Nikon lens you mentioned (work purchased it for me). Tamron and Sigma both make excellent lenses and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase either brand. I’d go for it in a heartbeat.

kikaida likes this.
  4. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Traveled quite a bit and I rarely ever use my 70-200 2.8. Too big! Too important looking! Everytime you whip it out some authority figure would harass you for shooting permit. The same with tripod. I only use it after dark. I use my sigma 12-24 more than any others while travel.

5. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I can see why they would hassle you about a shooting permit, as even in my city, they need a permit for commercial photography. Having a big telephoto lens like that gives the impression that you're either media or a pro. I do have a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR, which doesn't attract any attention....but it's not very good either. In fact, it's downright awful for indoor events. I used it to take pictures of my son's college graduation, and they were bad, which is why I was looking at the Tamron.

Adam Ng likes this.