1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tamper Proof Torx Security Bits

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by houdini28, Jun 29, 2007.

1. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I was in Pep Boys today and I saw they had tamper proof torx security bits for sale. It was an eight piece set that would fit in a 1/4 driver. The bits looked like the right size for adjusting your Leatherman. Just thought I would pass the information along.

2. Corrugated

Corrugated Empty Pockets

5 or 6 lobe?

I think Leatherman uses Torx 8...most sets have T10 as their smallest :thumbsdown:

3. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

The Charge uses a T10 or I should say from experience you'll need 2 T10's as one will just turn round and round and and not tighten/loosen. The 1/4" hex T10 anti-tamper ones are McMaster-Carr cat# 7377A44 and are $2.12 each. A pair of stubby driver handles will help. (I only had one.)

If you have the Wave, you are out of luck, as it uses a 5-lobe proprietary fasteners.

Larry

4. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

They had both 5 and 6 lobe sets available

I don't know what size the bits were. They looked like a decent range but it is clearly something to observe before getting them. Sorry for not making not of the size. If I find myself at Pep Boys again I will be sure to note the size.

5. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Wow houdini, if you've found a source for 5-lobers, that will be really good news for the Wave owners that like to tinker! If I can remember, I'll try and get by a Pep Boys tomorrow.

Larry

6. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I saw this post and went right to Pep Boys on my way home from work. The tamper proof torx bits that they have are six lobe, but there is a T-10. Still, doesn't help me with my Wave.

7. Corrugated

Corrugated Empty Pockets

8. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Corrugated, I read the thread you linked, and if you need a second T9 anti-tamper bit, I'll send it. I bought two T9's and two T10's, cuz I wasn't sure at the time of the size for the Charge (T10.)

Larry

9. Corrugated

Corrugated Empty Pockets

Thanks for the offer, but my old Wave has the 5 lobe security bits :thumbsdown:

10. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

My new Charges had the 5 lobe security bits. I ordered two sets from ZDMAK and swapped out features on my Ti and XTi to make my self-proclaimed YTi. :)

At first, I thought that you may need to hold both sides of the screw/nut assembly to unscrew each one properly but it looks like Leatherman's nuts on these are set in place on one side of the handle so they can't move. Just make sure to unscrew the "screw" side and not try to unscrew the "nut" side as it might booger up the threads or even the handle where the nut resides. If one side doesn't unscrew easily, try the other as you may be trying to unscrew the nut. Once you get the screw unscrewed, the nut will just drop out. Oh, and don't forget about those itty bitty washers. :rolleyes:

Here's the link where I purchased my sets: ZDMAK

They were just $19.99 and I didn't have a problem purchasing them at all. I know the site does look rather strange, but I didn't have a problem with the order at all and they arrived as described.

Add'l info here although I found that the Charges take size T10. :)

Heath

11. Jerry_S

Jerry_S Empty Pockets

Lowes Home Improvement has an 8 in 1 precision torx precision screwdriver set (their Kobalt brand) for $5.99. It has T4 through T10 and T15 with bit storage in the handle. Their item # is 239384. Pretty decent for the price.
    Jerry

12. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

whoops - heathah beat me to the punch!

13. Alteran

Alteran Empty Pockets

Why do you need 2 of the 5-lobe security bits?

14. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I got two of them! It took long enough for the paperwork to go through ChadsToolBox and the bits to come through the regular mail. They fit great in my Wave.

15. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Empty Pockets

:shrug:

I don't get it. I've read that some folks had to get a different lobe count for the new waves.... Apart from the center security pin, my Wave(new model) takes regular hardware store torx bits(T10,Husky brand) Or has the fastener they use changed in the last 11ish monthes since I got mine? :shrug:

I used a 1/16" carbide bit in the dremel and ground out the pin. :-X ;D

G.

16. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Some Wave models used a 5-lobe screw, some used a 6-lobe screw. I, and probably many others, didn't want to grind out the center pin because that negates Leatherman's 25-year warranty.

17. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Empty Pockets

I think, technicaly just taking it apart or removing the screws would blow the warranty.
    I'd already ruined my warranty, about 8 hours :rolleyes: after i got it, I re-ground all the blades. :-X

Strange that some are different, they must have done a hardware change for some reason. Interesting.

:)

G.