1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Take a Couple/Leave a Couple" Passaround Box, Vol. 2

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by mooshi, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to be a part of something special....

=RedFox=, voxelpete and Mighty Max like this.
  2. voxelpete

voxelpete Banned

What do you mean?

Sent from Pete

3. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I think an acceptable answer would to be to send a pic of what you put in the box to mooshi. Items could be cross checked occasionally.
    I believe I still have the pics of what I put in the box, though there is a chance I may have deleted them from my phone....:unsure:

4. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Honestly think we're all over reacting/over thinking this.
    But since it has been brought up anyway, I'll throw in my $0.05

No buy in please.
    One of the great draws to this for me was getting something special in the mail, being part of a community project here at EDCF... But the next biggest draw was the fact that I'm unemployed and can't buy anything, and its great to get something new without having to pay more than shipping. Being able to trade my un needed gear for something new, instead of having to buy something new...

I honestly don't see the documenting/tracking in slipjoints box idea gaining anything other than telling people you don't trust them to begin with... If something spendy goes missing without a good replacement, you still have to accuse two people of lieing and figure out who actually took it...

Edit; (Dear God I hope this next bit comes off as I mean it... I've re-typed this 4 times... not trying to p*ss anyone off here, just expound on my beliefs/on a theory!)
    I just believe in trust upfront, and to only penalize someone for breaking it. Yes, Trust is gained... but there has to be some benefit of the doubt to begin with IMNSHO. "innocent until proven guilty" not the other way around so to speak. ( my $0.02 . No offense meant slipjoint! Not meaning to say your doing anything wrong! just expounding/stating my feelings on how I see these things working... :cool: YMMV! )

I do sorta like the idea of limiting how much little bits and bobs count toward the $$ removed/replaced theory. I wouldn't want to go with parafobs etc being counted as no value because honestly those things do cost if your not making them yourself.. even then(making them) there is cost! It does add up.

But yes, I think it a bad idea to take, for instance, a $30 knife, and replace it with $30 in fobs and beads...

You could go with something like; ""please replace each item with no more than 3(for instance..) items that add up to the value of the item taken""

As in, a limit on how many items you can use to replace a single item, still based on value; I.E.; so you don't get 10 $5 parafobs, or 20 altoids tins( :rofl: ) replacing a $50 knife... So its still not limited to a per item value trade, still more on a total value scale, but with some limitation.

I dunno.Just thinking out loud here folks!

G>

grids7, Badger375, scbubba and 8 others like this.
  5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good post AK. To expand on it a little bit....limiting replacing 1 item with multiple smaller items has other benefits as well. Due to everyones generosity the box was growing to fast. If we also replace a $30 item with 6 $5 items we would really run into problems.

6. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

emcdannell Loaded Pockets

What happen to your pass around thread? I can't seem to find it and the link you posted doesn't work for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My guess would be that pass arounds fall under the GAW rules and need permission

Mighty Max likes this.
  8. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Well, moosh can't be burdened with making this right (she has too much else going on). So for now, I am stuck with the box. I would like to just toss the darned thing! All this tracking and exchanging one item for 6 is making my head want to explode! I really don't want to deal with this either. So, I will wait for a consensus from y'all. Things like this only work if EVERY player plays fair. I don't know how to fix this.

voxelpete likes this.
  9. voxelpete

voxelpete Banned

If you've got too much on your plate right now, I'm sure there are some people who would love to help you out with the box!

*waves*

Sent from Pete

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Come get it if you like.

voxelpete likes this.
  11. voxelpete

voxelpete Banned

I might just have to take you up on that offer. :p

Sent from Pete

12. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Yup!

I'm trying to get permission, but it may take a few days before I have an answer.

13. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I'd be interested in using the contents to seed my own pass-around box with small items. As you might have noticed from previous posts, I'm trying to do a regulated pass-around box that keeps an eye on things to make sure they don't get too out of whack.

I know that the value of the items from this box is low, but I'd be willing to sort through the stuff that's worthwhile to keep those items in circulation. I wouldn't want to use everything all at once, but I'd be happy to include a few items with each iteration of the box. And I think it would be kind of cool to salvage something worthwhile out of the ashes of a failed box just to keep the spirit of the thing going. Even though some of those paracord items don't have any monetary value, I'd hate to think that they just got dead-ended because the box did. I'd also be willing to insure that those empty tins didn't stay empty.

:bounce:

voxelpete likes this.
  14. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

So did Box B bite the dust too? Mod-U-Lar?? Xtrajack?? Bueller....?
    Very curious if anyone snagged my stuff or took that ****** **** ********* that was soooo cooooool!

voxelpete likes this.
  15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

It hit a "return to sender" the last time I heard of it and was supposed to have gone out again last Wednesday. I did write back and am waiting on a reply.

16. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Apparently, I need permission from the site administrators to do something like this. I've reposted the thread as a proposal for them to consider, rather than as a shovel-ready project. Hopefully this will meet with their approval.

17. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mooshi, I hate that your neat idea turned into such a headache. I hemmed and hawed for a long time about whether I wanted in or not. I'm kind of the opposite of AK up there, seeing good in everybody. I thought if it continued for this long with no problems maybe it was sustainable and it would be a cool thing to be in on...alas I had no idea how it was deteriorating.

In short, too much drama, please take me off the lists. I'll hang on to my stuff for future forum giveaways.

mooshi and AK Adventurer like this.
  18. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I am not currently part of the pass-around, but I have a couple of ideas that may help. What if we had people PM Mooshi with what they added and people post here what they took. Then we or at least Mooshi would have some idea of what is in the box. I agree there should be a one to one value system too, but if you want to toss in fobs and paracord things too that would be reasonable

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I really would rather not moderate it so closely - I go to school, I have a 9-5 job, I have a family business to take care of, among my normal activities and emergency events.

It was never my intention to have to baby-sit this box; it was made known from the beginning that I would do as much as I could to keep things going smoothly, but let's be real. It's on the honor system and up to each member to do their part. A lot of the control is out of my hands and into each participant's. It really is up to each participant to be responsible to keep it going without a hitch. I can only do so much from behind a computer screen. I can add as many addendum rules as it would please everyone, but the responsibility is still up to each member.

The boxes were actually doing fine for a while without me even having to check in on it. When I got the box on my turn, I restocked it and all was good until recently; boxes were being held up for weeks at a time and tons of small items were replacing a few large value items.

20. voxelpete

voxelpete Banned

If you don't read Mooshi's whole post, I quoted the (imo) important part.

Sent from Pete

mooshi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.