1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD's new Spectre Pack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by yugotprblms, May 19, 2017.

1. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Spectre-22L-Backpack

What thinks you guys? I like the less tactical look of it, while still retaining some of the useful features that tactical stuff has. It looks real nice. Not a huge fan of the price though. But as it is TAD, we know it will sell because TAD.

2. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Nah - the new packs and duffels are kind of ugly and over-designed for me. Maybe it's the material.

gearheavy and PreparedCitizen like this.
  3. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I also like the less tactical look, but for this type of pack they are now entering into a different market space. You'll find some killer packs made from Dyneema, Cuben, Spectra, etc. from some serious brands.

Last edited by Ike582, May 20, 2017
    #3 Ike582, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

From what i can tell from the pics, I like the general design but not the color scheme (material?). Looks "clean", but in actuality, I would miss external pockets. I wouldn't shell out the coin for it.

gearheavy and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  5. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

The pack is geared to outdoors use, hence a non removable/stowable belt. The material is brand new and only comes in that one color (for now, hopefully). The real winner is the Ranger Green webbing option. That gives me hope that TAD will be bringing Ranger Green to their Litespeed and EDC line. That would be epic.

6. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Same overpriced junk.

7. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I'm no mega Tad fanboy, but 225 for a made in USA pack from premium materials does not seem overpriced to me. I think that price is very competitive with the market Tad exists in.

I like the design too, I think it is a great concept and not even light companies make packs this style. For me personally I have a long torso and 22L is the very bottom end of what I consider useful for a pack. It is was a little longer and a little bigger I'd probably have it on order. The only thing that sorta turns me off about TAD is I've never really heard any good stories about their warranty. With kifaru or goruck you know part of what justifies the cost is if you have issues they are gonna take care of you. Also noticed the zippers are #5? Maybe it's fine but for me zippers are a weak link on any bag and bigger is always better.

Overall I "get" this bag though, it makes sense. I can't say the same for some of tads recent products so I am glad they made this pack.

Pietroso likes this.
  8. Jordan Smeenge

Jordan Smeenge Loaded Pockets

This ls42 sail cloth is from my understanding far more durable than cuben fiber or dyneema. Tad stated it was the most abrasion resistant and puncture resistant fabric they have worked with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pietroso likes this.
  9. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I am not a big fan of their recent releases.

Over priced junk? Hardly. You sound a little bitter, maybe outside your price range?

10. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Idk why but i'm not feeling their direction lately besides the messenger bag. I'm sure it's going to be hard-use long lasting stuff.

I'm still waiting for them to make a "civilian" (no outer molle on front or something) version of both/either their already awesome backpacks.
    I'm a bit of a fanboy since i tried their stuff out but these last few packs, meh.

11. CHF.sufferer

CHF.sufferer Loaded Pockets

I'm going on a 10 day trip to Japan and have to live out of one bag, with an e&e pack for daytime outings.

The Spectre in 34L is looking like a top contender, paired with the Azimuth folded up and stowed away.

Hits the right price points, tons of functionality (load lifting harness, light, durable), great materials...

Not sure where all the butt hurt comes from around here, but TAD has kept me as a customer over the past 3–4 years and they continue to excel.

:bye:

12. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

Why does a 1300 cubic inch pack need a waist belt? I find that on packs that small, the waist belt never hits you in the right spot. It's always too high (unless you're under ~5'9). More importantly, I think it's too small for a hiking day pack. It would work well in an urban environment, but then I'd want the waist belt to go. My hiking day packs are twice that size, so it's too small for what I like to carry in the outdoors.

BTG108 and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  13. CHF.sufferer

CHF.sufferer Loaded Pockets

There are 3 total sizes of the Spectre pack... 22, 34, and 46L. It'd help if we discussed the line in its entirety instead of focusing on the 22L.

And the waist belt is completely customizable, removable, whatever your heart desires. Still a pretty good value for TAD standards.

And I'm still waiting for a good argument why this is so frowned upon by everyone...

14. jkjustic

jkjustic Loaded Pockets

I just don't like the color, Imma need that in black:frantic:

15. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I hadn't seen the other sizes. I think they are awesome! I think it's a good direction for them.

I can't help but be curious about the 46. I wonder if the waist belt is any good and if one could stick some shorter stays in it for airline carry on. Definitely tempted.

16. lessershoe

lessershoe Loaded Pockets

Little Late to the party but I like the color.

17. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the old school TAD was a bit over the top, but its recent direction is a bit fugly. I wish there was a happy medium between the TAD Gear from before and the current JCrew/Outdoor gear direction they're heading. I can't exactly nail down a unifying look to anything anymore. At least to my general aesthetic tastes, they seem to be all over the place.

18. Journo
    • +1 Supporter

Journo Loaded Pockets

The belt looks too big for a 22L pack, the MOLLE looks like it will wobble around as soon as you put a pouch on it and I have no clue what it looks like inside.

I bought TAD stuff ten years ago, and it was OK then, the customer service has gone down hill, and they do these crazy short runs where they only make 11 items. I've had 3 TAD packs recently and none of them make me as happy as my 5.11 RUSH does. They seem to be over engineered.

lessershoe and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  19. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes. But the oldschool TAD was still pretty BA aesthetically. Musings of a similar nature were made by @ArkansasFan30 and myself over here: Backpack for cop and on the following page.

I think it's pretty cool TAD expanded their apparel to include jeans (whoop whoop for those btw, awesome!) a field jacket and a sports jacket, i'm over the moon for their messenger bag because it is a monster in disguise. Functional stuff, their "city operator" theme works even if it's not my style. But i agree on the outdoor gear direction, i dont get it.
    Thing about the EDC packs is that i hadn't seen anything quite like that before, the look and design is hardcore function and they ended up making it look good because of that i think.

I think the largest of the Spectre works a lot better than the smaller ones from just looking at it and i expect them to be awesome with TAD quality when it comes to materials and construction. Aestethically i'm not feeling it, not to say i'm giving it four thumbs down, not at all, i'm just not a fan of this style of packs.

That sounds like the perfect application for it! I use a Litespeed for my 24hr high-tech hobo kit but 34L is a better volume all in all and the look is very gray man with a nice style at the same time. If you end up rocking thst one on you trip i wouldn't mind some pics :)

20. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Agreed on the Molle and inside mystery.
    Whoa, 3 packs and no happy at all?
    I agree with there being a lot of engineering and i only have experience with 2 of their bags, but i like that you can strip them down to minimums and still have a very functional hard use piece of kit with full on modularity. I'm on the other end from you, i love my R24 but i miss my litespeed like crazy as soon as it's too small for what i need. :)