1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Legionnaire Pants..

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by glocke12, Jun 23, 2017.

1. glocke12

glocke12 Loaded Pockets

Ordered a pair of these in 34x30, which is normally what I wear in other pants sizes.

The TAD Legionaires in this size are huge..almost to the point of being one size larger than they should be (as in 35 or 36 x 30).

TAD says they will shrink by as much as 1.5" when washed and thats why they make them that large.

Anyone have a pair of these that can back that claim up?

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Not to disparage TAD or anything, but pants expected to shrink that much to actually meet the desired size aren't good pants no matter how well they may be stitched, etc.

3. glocke12

glocke12 Loaded Pockets

yeah...i thought that was a little strange to be honest. I've never heard of pants being sold oversized like that before with the intent that they would shrink that much after the first washing.

Had I gone into a store and tried these on, I probably would not have bought them as they were literally one size too large in the waist and the inseam was closer to a 32 than a 30.

I debated sending them back, but the pants are well made, I like the layout , and they were bought on sale so the time, effort and cost to send them back didn't entirely seem worth it so I threw them in the washer at the hottest setting than dried them on the highest setting.

When they came out they did indeed shrink. They still fit a little loose, but thats fine as they are suitable for IWB carry that way.

I like em...only thing I don't really care for are the D rings on the front belt loops, no use for them personally.

4. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

They state 'up to'. In reality they shrink about 1/2 an inch, not more. They're made of NYCO which both in theory and practice shrinks very little new after first wash. I have 5 TAD pants all in their 52/48 NYCO, none of my pants shrunk more than 1/2 inch and two pairs didn't shrink at all. I am 6.4" tall guy who wears 36" inseam so this is a sensitive topic for me and loosing more than half inch has a great affect on fit, in my case.

As for Legionnaire pants, had them and sold them. The main cargo pockets are positioned a lot lower than on any other TAD cargo pants and being a bellowed design at the bottom the pocket would expand and the content would swing around as low as my knee which used to drive me bonkers when out and about. I'd suggest you look at Force 10 pants if you like their cargos, otherwise Recons, Coverts or even low profile Spartans would be my pick.
    Also, Legionnaire and Force 10 are built in relaxed/loose cut, pretty much following US Army ACU cut. Unless you're athletic build with chunky thighs they will look a bit 'flappy' on most.

Sorry if I burst your bubble, that certainly wasn't my intention if I have, you asked and I thought I should add my personal observation on the topic.

5. glocke12

glocke12 Loaded Pockets

thanks..no bubble burst here. Im still finding my way around the TAD stuff so any input is helpful. I've been wanting to check their stuff out for years and it's only recently I've had the funds to be able to.

Force 10's on the site are listed as a relaxed fit, Recons and Legionaires both are listed as a std fit. Even on the photos of both I've seen it looks like the Force 10's are a lot baggier. I plan on checking recons out at some point. Force 10's also have the sleeves for knee pads, which is a feature I don't see myself needing.

Maybe they changed the cut a little bit since you had yours? These are baggy but aren't quite ACU baggy..I'd call them more roomy than anything which is fine as my thighs are built pretty well. Cargo pockets don't seem to be too much of an issue like you described. I took a short hike with my cell phone and keys in them, and didn't have the experience you did, but I also don't overload cargo pockets anyway.

I should have measured mine before washing to see how much they would actually shrink. All I know is before washing they were huge...after washing the fit is much better and closer to what a 36" waist should be.

6. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear they fit at least someone. I have to admit I am a little picky when it comes to my fatigues, combats and tacticals. And why not, at those prices pretty much everything should fit as expected. Position, size and design of main cargo pockets has been my pet peeve for some time with some brands, some got it right the first time (or by accident) some improved it on a new version down the road. I am also 6.4" so a non-standard height with long legs so some of these issues I talk about are more pronounced on me that a person of a more normal build and height.

What you mentioned about the waist shrinkage is very interesting and a new 'feature' on NYCO pants from TAD. As I mentioned in my post above, mine only shrunk up to 0.5 inch but didn't shrink a bit in the waist. It's good it worked for you and that you find them more true fitting after a first wash, they do come a little wider new so that's a good thing.

7. ArkansasFan30

Yes, if the pant shrunk once. They will continue to shrink. Make sure to never, ever put them in dryer.

8. glocke12

glocke12 Loaded Pockets

why not put them in the dryer ?

9. ArkansasFan30

More shrinkage. Dryers shrink more than washing.