1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD gear TI Folding Spork Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by luigi, Sep 26, 2006.

1. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I got my TAD gear Titanium folding spork so I decided to post a quick review.

It is a great edc item, once folded it really is invisible and weightless. With so many Titaniacs Guild members around I feel stupid saying that the spork is corrosion resistant, very light and very strong, that is why we love Ti.
    The folding mechanism will produce scratches in the scales, mine already has some scratchs (see pics) and has barely been used.
    When unfolded the spork does not feel as strong as the Snowpeak spork, it kind of bends a little so if you are using it on something not very soft you will feel a rebounding effect that is not very nice to me.
    The clip all in Ti looks solid but does not have a lot of tension, if you pull it it will slightly sepparate from the scales.

Pictures below to check it out.

Luigi

Attached Files:

2. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

More pictures:

Attached Files:

3. Piripi

Piripi Empty Pockets

I ordered a few of them the day they were released and I love 'em!!!

4. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

What is the point of an EDC spork? Do people who carry EDC sporks also carry EDC yogurt with them as well?

Do you tell your waiters/waitresses in restaurants not to bother bringing you silverware, because you brought your own?

I've been in many situations before where having a folding pocket knife has helped tremendously, but I can't remember a single situation where having a folding pocket spork would have done anything for me.

I just don't get it :idiot2:

5. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

I keep a spork in my bag for the times I get take out food, which for me is about 3 times a week and I'm having dinner at class. They forget to put untensils in so I take out my spork, clean it, and go to town. I keep mine with all my pens, highlighters and such.

Now, if I could have a straw built into my Ti Chopsticks to get the top 2-3 inches of soda out of my drinks for when I'm driving I would be set ;D

John

6. destroythealter

destroythealter Empty Pockets

I ordered one. I don't think many people EDC them but I could be wrong. I plan on using it for backpacking trips where it's very useful to have a spork on hand for meals in between camp set up.

7. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I don't carry one in my pockets, but I do have one in my EDC bag. It's great for eating lunch at my desk because I don't have to remember to pick up a disposable fork.

8. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

I recently picked up a Brunton Folding Titanium Spork from REI. When unfolded it feels like a single piece of titanium - rock solid.

9. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

JimH, do you have the TAD as well. I would be intersted in seeing a direct comparison of the 2.

10. Namelessone

Namelessone Loaded Pockets

I use my spork quite a bit, but then again I am a senior in highschool. But it is always nicer to use my spork instead of plastic silverware.

11. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

I don't have the TAD spork. I'll leave it to Luigi to do the comparison since this is his review thread.

12. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Glad you guys like the TAD spork. I've very happy with my Snowpeak one. I carry it in my Fatboy and it has already come in handy once or twice. It's so light you don't even know its there - until you need it.

I'd rather eat off titanium than plastic anyday!

13. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

I think EDC a spork is a very good idea. I do take-out lunches a lot and absolutley hate those plastic forks and knives - and they're very bad for the environment. So I would EDC little fork and pocket knife.

14. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

I have the snowpeak spork but not the foldable.
    So feel free to compare them if you have both.

My thread is your thread :)

15. FlipMag

FlipMag Guest

Whoa..dude, that is sooo cool! I'm buying one now for my bug-out bag!

16. prometheus

prometheus Empty Pockets

what's the point of half the gadgets and gear we buy? :wha:

why buy a nice roller ball pen? a #2 pencil gets the job done.

why buy a car, you can just use your feet to get to point b.

why buy a fleece jacket, a burlap sack will cover you just as easily.

why buy an ipod, 2 spoons and a harmonica will play ya music too.

we do so because we like something and we can.

one of the beauties of the consumer product world is the HUGE variety of things available that we can choose from which resonates for us for some reason to want to own and use.

so you don't get the ti spork, i am sure lot's of people don't get half the stuff you own or use either.

lots' of things we all choose to EDC which is specific to our individual tastes may not be to others.

17. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

luigi,

Nice pictures!

Did you check the screws for tightness? Mine came a little loose. I tightened them up and now the clip is more secure. The heads take torx size 7.

I like mine. I don't EDC one, but I do keep one in my truck. It comes in handy occasionally. I also have one at work, which I use more often. I did notice a slight metal taste the first few times I used it, but that seems to have gone away, and it never bothered me much anyway. The opening was rough, but I put some Militec-1 in the joint which helped. Now the roughness doesn't bother me; in fact I think it may have been intentional, to keep it from folding too easily while in use. I like that the screws are torx, and I like that there's a hole for a lanyard, etc.. This is a great item... kudos to TAD Gear. Considering the material used I think the price is reasonable.

I like bbbshrimp's point about the plasticware being bad for the environment. I think form now on I will use my spork instead of plasticware whenever possible. This is a habit all of us could stand to switch to...

19. ScarabDrowner

ScarabDrowner Loaded Pockets

just got my Ti spork today, and got to use it on a can of Dinty... while the texture is fine for me on the grip, I'd prefer to have the head of the spork shiny and smooth like "normal" spoons.  How would I go about polishing this thing up? :help:

20. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Do you just want the spoon portion polished, or the whole thing?