1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie V.6.0

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by hartman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

2. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I have the 2nd and 3rd Gen of the Ranger Hoodie and I think for each I paid about 184.99. Now they're running for $225-229.00? Ridic. Absolutely ridic. I think TAD is falling into the "Tacticool" niche and falling far, far away from being used by the persons it was originally intended for. They're going to end up pricing themselves out of the market, I think.

3. koolranch

koolranch Loaded Pockets

I agree, while I'm happy fir you and love to window shop at tads site I have a hard time justifying the price.

4. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

What you are really seeing is not their prices increasing, but the dollar being low.

[​IMG]
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/by-the-truest-measure-the-us-dollar-has-dropped-to-its-all-time-low.html

The failing USD, combined with TAD and many other companies moving off shore to manufacture their products (by necessity, but that's political) causes prices to rise. Even where TAD is still making stuff in the US, what do you think the odds are that every dollar spend is staying in the US?

5. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Had to remove a not-so-nice post. Please keep it civil, folks.
    :peg2:

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Congrats on your Xmas present! Sadly, I must do my own TAD Gear gifting but nevertheless, I'm sure one will find it's way to me over the Holidays. Seems most TAD Gear topics end up the same as most higher cost gear threads, i.e CRK knives, Atwood tools v.s. Sanrenmu and Gerber Shards. (A guy wearing a toupee may look as if he has hair but it's still a toupee.) Again, great gift and let's see some action pics soon.

7. Alex F

Alex F Empty Pockets

I bought one of the Chinese ones last year and (credit card fiasco notwithstanding) it's been an outstanding jacket. I normally go out of my way to avoid Chinese made, especially in boots/shoes, but this jacket really impressed me.

8. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

To hartman: Congrats on getting your TAD Stealth Hoodie V.6.0. I hope you enjoy it in good health.

To perhaps clarify some statements made by others: I have a TAD Gear Predator Hardshell 2.0 that is experiencing it's 3rd Winter presently. It was made in China and therefore we can now be certain that TAD was producing jackets in China well before the 2009 date cited earlier.

As for the qualitative comments about TAD Gear's products, I'll not pollute this particular thread with my thoughts.

-Jeff

9. Igor01

Igor01 Loaded Pockets

I suspect that the whole "oh noes, it's made in China" thing is often blown out of proportion and the current reality of manufacturing base of many many high tech companies having been moved to China. Apparently, the US no longer has any production facilities capable of utilizing certain manufacturing techniques, hence the recent shift of high end outdoor gear production to China. If Arc'teryx is doing it, why can't TAD? The Stealth v6 is a superbly crafted softshell, with impeccable quality and top quality materials, and not despite, but because it's made in China.

The Condor softshell is not bad but overall has a much cheaper feel (in large part because of inferiour fabric) and will not give you the same protection from the elements as a Stealth. I promptly sold my Condor shell which I purchased out of curiousity and because it looked great in pictures and cost a third of the price of a Stealth.

The Stealth v6 bumped off two TNF shells from my wardrobe, it's almost perfect in every respect although I personally would prefer the Stealth not to have the welded reinforcement patches on elbows which I find stiffen the sleeves unnecessarily for most users who are not crawling and laying prone in their Stealth shells, but I understand why the feature is there and appreciate the design philiosophy and technical excellence in it execution.

The Dragon or whatever brand soft-shell is inferior even to the Condor and unless one absolutely cannot afford the TAD shell, I'd steer clear of that, the materials are crap (yes, I've seen it in person), the stitching is sloppy and the overall feel is very cheap. Not to mention that the "softshell" fabric will not put up much resistance against rain and wet snow, so basically it's mostly a decorative garment that kinda looks like the real thing from a distance but doesn't perform anywhere near the original's quality.

10. tmaxx

tmaxx Loaded Pockets

Maybe someone non biased needs to evaluate all the said jackets, so a reasonable opinion can be formed.

11. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Probably won't happen. Wearers will own either a TAD or a copy and will say it's great. I wear TAD's stuff and I have tried on the Condor products and actually, the Condor isn't bad. It's material is bulkier that the TAD but it's not a bad jacket for the price and most people can't get to SF to try on the original and yes they are spendy.

In the end, it's your money so you should decide how to spend it. Most wearers TAD/Condor/Red Dragon aren't operators anyway so bombproof gear for street wear isn't really a requirement.

Honestly, if I had not known of TAD Gear and saw a Condor, I might have purchased one but on the other hand if there had not been the original TAD Hoodies, there would probably not be the copies out there either.

12. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

What are you doing;... trying to bring sanity into a TAD thread?!