1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie V.6.0

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by hartman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. hartman

hartman Empty Pockets

I am pleased to report I received an early Christmas gift from my wonderful wife last night! Got the Stealth Hoodie in black with patches on sleeves and its a XL. Fit and finish is of very good quality and I think this bad boy will last! It is loaded with pockets and has nooks and crannies for plenty of EDC items in all locations! My fave part of the jacket is the anatomically fitting hood itself. When wearing the hood it actually fits and doesn't droop down and flop around! Also, the reinforced sleeves are another awesome addition that make me confident I will get many years use out of it. I am currently without my SLR camera so posting any pics today is not possible but will do so in the near future!

But I do have a question: Why and when did TAD Gear start getting their jackets "Made In China"??? I was shocked to see the label, made in china, when I was under the impression from all of my research that TAD was proudly "Made In the USA". None the less, I am a very happy camper with my gift and look forward to getting it broken it!

Cheers

2. leeenricoso

leeenricoso Loaded Pockets

Congrats on your early christmas gift! As for me, as a birthday give for myself, I bought their Spectre Hardshell just two weeks back. Its also build to last. The Spectre hardshell is very worthy investment indeed. As for your question regarding when TAD started moving from "Made In the USA" to "Made in China" for the Stealth Hoodie, if I'm not mistaken, its started with the Stealth Hoodie Reloaded that came out last year. And before that, I think they where still made in US.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Last year they had two variants of the Stealth: one had welded zippers and was made in China, and the other had normal stitched zippers and was made in the US. The story is that there is no US factory capable of making the one with welded zippers.

I assume that the US-made model was not a success as it did not return.

4. hartman

hartman Empty Pockets

Thank you leeenricoso and sharp for the replies. That would explain the welded zippers on mine! They might come in handy on the wet days.

5. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

But their prices went up even if the cost of manufacturing went down.Don't tell me they pay the same amount to manufacture this softshells in China like in US.Probably their profits went thru the roof.

6. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Nice present, but I'll argue that my replica of the original Stealth Hoodie was a better present at $100 ;) And both were made in China.

7. epm357

epm357 Loaded Pockets

I agree. Too pricy for me when they are made in China.

8. hartman

hartman Empty Pockets

Do tell! Who makes it and by chance would you have a link?

Thanks!

9. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

http://dragonredairsoft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=59

I got mine in OD Green (the only available right now). If you do order from them, I suggest studying the measurements for each size carefully and comparing them to a garment you already have. I thought I wanted Large b/c I'm a normal build college student...but I ended up needing Small! There is a review of the jacket on this forum just search for it. But anyway, I really like it, I've had it for 4 months now.

10. hartman

hartman Empty Pockets

That jacket is a spitting image to the Stealth no doubt! I am kinda shocked at the similarities. Going to find the thread, thanks jcw122 as I had no idea this even existed!

11. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I don't think it's popular considering some people find it controversial, but like I said, I'm a college student lol so money is always tight.

12. derangboy

derangboy Loaded Pockets

I've had the V6 for a few months now. I went over a lot of the stitching with a 5x glass and was pleased with the way it was put together. I find the fit on the loose side, even with fleece underneath. But I'm used to the fit of my Arc'teryx Gamma hoodie. So far, I do not regret the purchase.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil Loaded Pockets

i love how people try to compare the two as if they are comparable

14. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Sure they are comparable. This is hoodie vs hoodie, not apples vs oranges. What are you talking about? How are two of the same thing not comparable?

Sent from my A854

15. Pineapple Devil

much like a porsche is comparable to a civic in the sense you can drive it from point a to b.

materials, craftsmanship, durability, etc all come into play and there is no way the condor version is anywhere near being able to be compared to tad. more like patagonia, arc'teryx, etc to be compared

16. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

First, the version I purchased is not the Condor version. The Condor version doesn't even LOOK like the TAD jacket. Second, how do you know what kind of craftsmanship the Chinese jacket I bought has compared to the TAD if you have no proof of comparison? All that you can say is that both are made in China, but one is 1/3 the cost.

17. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

I don't need to know the kind of craftsmanship your jacket has. I know what it doesn't have. It doesn't have a company to stand behind it. That's worth more to me than a little more money.

You seem very defensive about your purchase. Guess what, I am also a college student. I am also a parent, and my wife is disabled. I do not feel bad for you for "needing" to buy a rip off jacket.

Do you honestly believe that the extra $200 was straight profit? Want to know some of the expenses that TAD had to deal with?

*Someone to design the jacket. Your jacket stole their design, so they didn't have that.

*Prototypes.

*Someone to QC the jackets when they come in.

*Small quantities because TAD is a small company with a small consumer base.

That doesn't even account for materials used, warranty, and many other factors.

I don't have a problem with people owning other soft shells, or even other "tactical" soft shells (A TAD innovation, BTW), but that one there is design theft, and if it were made in the US, where the laws can be enforced, they could get the company shut down, or at least that product stopped. What does bother me is when people try to say it's "just as good", because it's not. Maybe it's as good a value, but that is something else entirely and it would make it only 1/3 as good.

Does TAD make more money manufacturing things over seas? Probably. US manufacturing prices are increasing. If they tried to continue making things exclusively in the US, they would quickly price themselves right out of their target market.

Patrick Ma has said in the past that they will continue to have their products made in the US as long as it is cost efficient enough sell the item at a reasonable price. Also that every item, regardless of origin will be held to the same standard or quality that makes TAD a great company to deal with.

18. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Those things you mention (materials, craftsmanship, durability) are an important part of the comparison. I did not say that the mentioned knock-off had as good materials, the same level of craftsmanship, similar durability, etc. I said they were both a fleece (and similar in design at that), and as such they could definitely be compared. As a matter of fact, you are comparing them yourself, and in your consideration one is of far lower quality than the other.

I couldn't care less. I own neither and have no plans on a purchase. My feelings about the knock off of a model that is no longer produced or on the primary market are much like my thoughts of any exceptional profits TAD may be receiving for moving production to China; completely inconsequential.

My point is that a comparison between the two is completely valid and fully expected.

19. Pineapple Devil

oh yeah i forgot, you didn't buy the condor. you bought the no name one marketed by an airsoft company. sorry. the condor is actually better. yes i've seen all three first hand

20. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Well, I guess I'll stop contributing to this thread here before it gets out of hand. Sorry if I jacked your thread, hartman.