1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Gear replicas: Stealth and Ranger Hoodies from Dragon Red

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jlomein, Nov 30, 2009.

1. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Hate to say this. But blatantly ripping off the designs of another company, especially a small one. Will never sit well with me.

I don't want to derail this thread but I have seen threads locked because people have promoted rip-off knife designs. But this thread is still surviving. So in a sense you are buying these rip off designs purely because you think TAD charges too much and they don't make enough. This seems very unfair, look at it from their stand point.
    They spend months, and many long hours - designing clothing and packs with their own original design. Find the time to trial run and test prototypes, scope out the best factories to produce the designs they have laboured over.
    Only to have some Chinese airsoft company copy it down to the last thread and sell it off to customers for a fraction of the price. Using lower quality materials and cheap labour and pumping them out in masses.

Would you like someone not only ruining your profits but to also steal your designs to take away your business.

I'm all for getting the best bang for your buck. But if TAD doesn't have your size or charges to much don't go and buy imitations. Buy something else that is at least original.
    The last thing we need in these difficult economic times is for small companies, especially one who tries so hard to be original, fail because a bigger company steals their designs and pumps out piles for minimal cost.

And to address the comment about Paypal - TAD noted that they wanted to wait for paypal to be set up before launching the new site but decided to launch it early as many customers were complaining how impractical the old site was. You can use paypal if you email them, just email in your order. They aren't using it because 'they don't want it'. Their old site had it. They just need time to set it up, they're not a huge chain - they are just a small company with a handful of staff. And if all these airsoft companies keep stealing their designs, and those companies continue to get more customers, it doesn't seem like they can get any bigger.

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I decided to remove my comments and not derail the thread any further. The whole TAD/replica thing is a pretty hot topic and I'm leaving it along for now.

Back to the gear reviews!

3. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

I think the argument has been covered in many threads and totally get your point, but this thread is for reviews of a knock off jacket, not for anyones views on world commerce. :-X

Just to add to this I am a Graphic Designer, I make designs for people. Are there cheaper options out there than using me? YES. What client's get by using me is fast response, knowledge, accommodating their wants and needs, and tackling their problems using a unique solution tailored to them. In the end you have to make yourself competitive constantly. You can't just pop out one design and expect to win the world.

4. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

My brother, after I guess secretly admiring my Free Country, got a Champion softshell of his own. I don't like the size of the zipperpull on the front breast pocket(it's super small), but the cuffs are strechy and not "adjustable", which is nice. It also has lock cords to cinch up the waist.

5. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Its not just because other companies are producing cheaper designs. They are producing TAD's designs cheaper. Not to mention at a lower quality.

Anyone who has gone to university (college) should be aware of plagiarism. Why should it be different as adults, its still theft of intellectual property.

This will be my last post on this topic. If EDCF believes these kind of topics should be allowed, I guess there is nothing more for me to say.

6. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Nick, see here for the previous discussion that I split out of this thread. Long story short is that EDCF does not condone rip offs, but Jon has decided to allow discussion of them as long as these posts do not violate EDCF rules.

7. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

Anyway the jacket: Took it out for a walk through the drizzle last night at about 130 am while the fireworks smoke was still clearing. (Happy new year all.) The moon last night was pretty close to full. The color of this jacket seems to blend in very well in the dark. Held up well to the rain (beaded and brushed off) and breathed well in the humid Hawaiian air, dig the pit zips and the mesh lined chest pockets. I am going to start looking for some reflective tape to make a few hook and loop reflective patch, maybe a portion of which can have a glowing 'ranger eye' The color of the jacket is very stealthy, and I don't enjoy getting run over. Also the fabric is pretty quiet, I didn't think it would be looking at it. Perhaps It's because it a near perfect athletic fit.

Hope to get some in use pics up at some point, it has been a warm winter here though.

8. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

Here's a question...if TAD Gear no longer makes the version, is it really an issue?

I love my TAD Gear stuff, but like everyone else, hate the fact that they run out of supply so quickly.

Specifically on this topic, I decided (about a year too late) that what I was missing in my closet full of jackets, was a V4 (with the underarm patches) Ranger Hoodie. After months of hunting online/Ebay, I had given up hope. Then I found the review of Dragon Red's Hoodie. I figured I would risk the ~50 bucks to see what I would get. What I got may not be TAD Gear quality (But how would I know? If I had a TAD Gear V4 Ranger I would write a compairsion...hint, hint, anyone), but to me it is well worth the money. I wear it everwhere, and it rocks.

Now, would I feel the same way if TAD Gear was still stocking the V4...likely not. As I 'gear hound', I have no problems paying for what I want/need; understanding that in almost every case "you get what you pay for" holds true. So, if I had the choice I would go for the TAD Gear...but again, thanks to TAD Gear's chosen use of 'supply and demand', I had no choice.

9. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My wife and I on Haleakala Summit, we took them out backpacking for 3 nights in the crater, kept us warm and dry, held up to all the abuse.

10. villlaverde

villlaverde Loaded Pockets

Great review!

11. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Do i see a derailed topic? I want in! :)

I talked to a local TAD gear dealer and he said it´s not about the labor/material costs.. He said that they cant find a machine from USA which makes those.. Now what was it that he said.. It´s got something to do with gluing or laminating the seams or something like that.. It´s sounds kind of odd that the only machines that can do the required things are in China.. Then again, i´m no textile expert.

I´m usually against buying rip-offs but because of TAD´s poor customer service (or lack of it) and attitude towards mil/leo customers and the fact that their quality is not that special, it´s not "Bang for your buck", it´s "bang for too much of you bucks" i´ll say go for it. It doesn´t mean that i would buy one, though.. I´ll just have to do without TAD gear or it´s replicas.

12. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

I received both a black and an OD green softshell from Dragon Red. They were responsive and accomodated a request to switch from two OD green to one of each color.

I gave both shells a good once over, and did not find any defects in manufacture. I also performed a water test with a water hose flowing over the arm and it beaded a good and moderate flow. The zippers are marked YKK, and worked well.

The fit I think is more biased toward Asian fit, as I am of Mongolian stock, the sizing was true for me. I have found that I don't take a large size in Duluth Trading Company products, more of a medium in regards to their sizing standards.

I do think it is a bang for the buck product. The pit zips alone are hard to find on a product even twice as expensive.

I remember trying to purchase TAD products, their 1st Ranger Hoodie, but within perhaps a week, all of the product was spoken for by LEO and Military, and *special* customers. I don't begrudge that TAD reserved these for their own, its their decision, and they can sell to who they want to. But I have a hard time accepting that they would begrudge others from buying an alternative which is according to TAD is *inferior* and unequivocably not the same, especially when their product is often not available for purchase.

To reiterate my impression of the quality, I have seen original performance fabric garments that have poorer fit and finish than the product I acutally received. I would not hesitate to purchase products of this quality from Dragon Red in the future.

13. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

What! I just checked the Dragonred website and they do indeed now have the softshell jacket in black! Is your black softshell the exact same in cut and quality as your green one, and the same as compared to my review on the first post?

If its the same I'm probably going to buy one shortly. Sucks that the local weather may stop me from wearing it often though. It's a very warm jacket and doesn't breathe well when I get active unless the front zip and pit zips are open.

14. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

I think that they explained it (either on FaceBook or USN) was that the advancements they have planned for their clothing would have A) increased the price if had stayed stateside and B) no companies within the US were producing garments with that level of detail and feature-set. Several comments were made that, if they kept it within the US (the manufacturing) people would still buy them, but TAD remained firm.

All of their garments will eventually be produced overseas, I think. Therefore, you will see more of their designs being copied, and these copies will come out much quicker. Eventually, there will be a leak and someone will produce a replica of a piece that TAD themselves hasn't released yet........

15. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

Yes, they are identical.

16. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

Actually, just like a lot of things produced overseas, pretty soon the exact same product will be offered at cut-rate prices. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

17. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

This is all according to TAD, and I have no reason to distrust them. They have always treated me right; up to and including doing the seemingly impossible PM if you want that story.

Anyway, they have stated numerous times that their markup is not nearly as much as most people likely suspect. That means that If someone were to produce the EXACT same product, using the EXACT same materials (such as Polartec Windpro, as in the Ranger and the new Recon) and sell them for a lot less, they would be making a lot less money. That would lose a lot of the appeal that the knock-offers have to knock off products.

The manufacturing process referred to earlier on the Reloaded that couldn't be done (cost effectively at least) in the US was "welding" the seams. They has a US company that was doing it, but they closed that section. I also recall a similar (possibly the same one) where they were forced to move over seas because of a company closing and the only places left in the US would have raised the MSRP 100%+.

Face it guys, our economy is still falling but American companies (for the most part) are not reducing their prices. Why would they? They can't reduce their workers pay (especially Union jobs). I am not saying that is a bad thing, but it id certainly limiting.

18. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

What temps would both jackets be good for?

19. PsychRN

PsychRN Loaded Pockets

Soulriot, I live in a tropic environment, and the shells are a bit too warm for the 75 deg or warmer weather that I experience most of the year. Around 70 deg F and a high breeze, it can be worn unzipped. If you're looking for a tropic weight shell, I would suggest the MEI Ferrata made of Schoeller dryskin. I own one as well, but if the temp dips below 75 deg F or so, you will long for a warmer shell.

20. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Thanks for the reply, well even thought they look nice, it's too warm for south Florida weather.