1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Gear FAST Pack EDC V5 is out!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jcw122, May 19, 2011.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Totally agree. You hit the nail RIGHT on the head! This is exactly why I sold off a lot of my packs, bags, and gear. It might be somewhat expensive, but your time, shipping costs, and trying to sell items is worth something, too. I think you'll really enjoy the Litespeed. And if not, you should be able to sell it right away for nearly what you paid. (Same goes for Kifaru, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, Mystery Ranch, etc.)

Yes, TAD Gear seems to cater a little more to the urban hipster crowd. But that is what is good for business and the bottom line. They run small batches of custom gear (actually, I think they contract it out) -- something they would have a hard time procuring a lot of for some huge military or government contract.

2. Ramiel88

Ramiel88 Loaded Pockets

Yeah. I hate to be seen as one of those people who buy gear just because it looks cool. But experience has tough me to look for specifics things for my gear. And also, the artist in me appreciate a well designed and good looking pack. Which is an itch that no other company fills for me as well as TAD. Their packs, and more than anything else, their jackets are just :censored: good looking. I love Mystery Ranch's gear as well. I am planning on owning more of their packs in the future. And Camelbak also makes some good looking gear. Kifaru makes bob proof gear, and I bet they are awesome, but looks wise they ain't so pretty (not that it matters). But TAD, man, they take the effort and time to make their stuff not only bob-proof, but :censored: sexy looking. I hate drinking the kool-aid, but they are a very distinguished company for a reason.

I still think that perhaps, over time, I might end up not liking the pack, or selling it. But even then, if I time my sale right, during the off-season when they don't have them in stock, I am sure I can sell it for even more than the original price. Seriously, those packs sells for ridiculous amounts on eBay when they aren't available on the store!

3. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

TAD have been one of the easiest US companies i have ever dealt with. I have probably the largest range of TAD gear outside of the TAD warehouse. I'm a UK citizen and have purchased many times both from the UK and now here in Australia....never once had a problem! Purchases this year include: Force 10 NYCO Cargos, Stealth LT, praetorian hoodie and I have 2x Force 10 Cargo shorts on the way. Other previous purchases = Ranger hoodie V3, recon hoodie, equilibrium sweater and Alpine s/s cargo pants.

TAD get my repeat business because:

1) Their products are high quality.
    2) Excellent customer service.
    3) Every order fulfilled without issue.
    4) All of the above means I get good value from my hard earned cash.

4. FoundingFather

FoundingFather Loaded Pockets

Last week I ordered the Fast Pack E.D.C.in black and hitting the "submit order" button took a lot of thought and research. The price, $325, was very high considering I payed $100 for my current EDC pack. (5.11 Rush 24) But I believe it will be worth it. I have been gradually upgrading my EDC kit over the years going from Maglite to Fenix to Surefire. Smith and Wesson to Spyderco to Benchmade. Booq to Maxpedtion to TAD Gear. Ect... I am the type of person that is never satisfied if there is a better quality product than the one I currently have. That is what made me go with the Fast Pack EDC.

I will also admit that to me TAD Gear has what Nutnfancy would call the "Two Types of Cool". It seems there is some ire towards them due to their "Gap" image. But I appreciate that they try to sell to non-military crowd. As the saying goes "tactical to practical". There is nothing wrong with marketing clothing and gear, of an extremely high quality, that are meant for civilian use and have a tactical influence. I know I have gone way off topic but just wanted to add my two cents. I will definately post and extensive review once I get the bag and have put it to the test.

5. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

I'm glad they arent international friendly otherwise I would likely spend a load of dough there. Its a shame they are moving more into the mainstream. There are plenty of other options for mil-spec stuff that costs less and is still 'Made in USA', if that is an issue for you. London Bridge Trading, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, Spec-Ops... all good stuff!

I definitely think in TAD's case you are paying extra for all that shopfitting and branding.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil Loaded Pockets

Ive got a barely used black litespeed for sale if anyone needs one. I'm not an ebayer so I'm not marking the price up at all. pm me

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts whether the quality difference between the 5.11 and TAG Gear packs justify the TAD being more than 3X the price.

8. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Where it's made probably has something to do with it (US vs overseas). If the price is a bit high then many of the other US made brands can be bought at cheap prices (especially if they are on sale and you can shop around).

9. jay5ive

jay5ive Loaded Pockets

If your comparing 5.11 and tad, its something along the lines of comparing driving a minivan & a ferrari ;D tad being the dead sexy ferrari haha.

Quality speaks for itself imo

my .02

10. zuggzugg

zuggzugg Loaded Pockets

In terms of quality I would say that TAD > Maxped > 5.11 -- I don't think the minivan/ferrari comparison is quite right tho, as they are all high quality and I've not had any problems with any of them except some minor issues with my Rush 72. I would say it's more like a comparison between Audi, Lexus, and BMW ;-D

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm sorry, but I think that's a bunch of crap. The vast majority of people who purchase this gear aren't going to stress it to the point of failure whether we're talking 5.11, Maxpedition, or TAD. And you're not getting girls because you're EDC'ing TAD versus 5.11. If it we're that easy then we'd all be dating Playboy Playmates or Supermodels on this forum. It's not due to quality or sexiness.

It's simply to get bragging rights over other fellow hobbyists. I know the TAD guys don't want their purchases debased in such a manner but come on, let's call a spade... a spade.

12. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

dude you seem to be baiting a bit here... Just say'n

Are you seriously suggesting people buy more expensive gear just for bragging rights?

13. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

i don't own a 5.11 but my buddy owns a pack who contracts out in the middle east. he beats on his gear WAY more than i ever would. i took a look at his bag when he got back and it looks great. nothing even close to a burst seam.

i DO however, own maxpedition and camelbak military products as well as tadgear. also had the pleasure of owning two RAID packs from ats and tag. i don't really see a HUGE difference between any of them in terms of quality. they're all overbuilt to the point where it would be very rare that average joes like myself would break them. the materials may feel different, but they're still all tough as heck. to me, there's not a big disparity in quality between most good gear makers. just comes down to what you like, and what you're willing to pay.

while my litespeed is my go-to edc bag, i don't feel that i have bragging rights over anyone else. i really liked the streamlined design, happened to have some spare money laying around, and an impulse buy later i was the owner of a bag costing over $250.

while i can't say for certain that the pack is or isn't worth that much, i can definitely say there's comparable alternatives out there for half the price. ymmv.

14. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

While you do have some very good points, I think there is another side to it.

I REALLY like the way (in general) TAD gear designed their packs. I've had the Gen4 and now the Gen5 EDC Fast Pack. I'm less than impressed with most of maxpeds and 5.11s designs when it comes to their packs. I think TAD has superior design philosophy when it comes to utility, and I think they put a lot of thought into their design/construction... I'm sure 5.11 and Maxped do as well, but I don't find them to be all that great.

I like that TAD gear doesn't print their name on the outside of the pack. I think 5.11 and Maxped look CHEAP by doing that.
    I like that the front pocket on top in the EDC pack is fairly well organized.
    I like the removable rifle sling.

What I don't like about the latest TAD pack is how they attach the straps. In previous models, the straps were sewn into the backpack between the back mesh and the front cordura part. Now they sew some 2in cordura strap material and it is attached to the shoulder straps via metal buckle. I find that under load, the straps slip when putting on and taking off the pack. This was a design decision so that you can attach the EDC to another pack. (Similar to what Kifaru does)

I don't like the Maxped packs because they all look bulky to me. TAD EDC packs are somewhat pyramidal (smaller at the top than the bottom) and the Maxped packs are more boxy.

I'm sure I'd love Kifaru packs, but their price is somewhat prohibitive. 1.5x to 2x the price of the TAD gear...I've never had a chance to see the Kifaru in person.. Luckily I live in SF where TAD makes their stuff, so I can walk in and see any of their stuff in person.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm saying in lieu of other justification, that's the only rational explanation. If you're in the sand box or the bush and you're truly running that "sexy" pack through it's paces (and willing to incur the resulting wear and tear) then talk to me about quality. Otherwise, the quality of the packs being mentioned are all good enough.

BTW, the whole "sexy doesn't matter" argument doesn't apply to their jackets. Those are :censored: unique and downright bodacious. I actually think you could get a girl wearing one of those...

16. el chupacabra

Yeah... No. I started buying more expensive for the fit and finish, customer service, utilitarianism.

17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'd never fault a purchase if someone told me they simply liked the design and thought it was unique. I could attach a certain dollar value to that and potentially justifying paying more in that case. It is the claims of superior quality and sex appeal that I was drawing issue with.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Maxpedition's customer service is stuff of legend (and not in a good way). 5.11's is awesome and they constantly seek out feedback on their gear as opportunity for improvements. Utilitarianism? Had to look that one up and still not sure what it means. But, if that's what you look for in gear, then more power to you my EDC brother. LOL.

19. jay5ive

jay5ive Loaded Pockets

Maybe my car comparison wasnt fair, it was only my way of answering your question of wondering if the quality difference justifies the price ( which i feel it does )

I didnt buy my pack for bragging rights ( lol ), i bought it because of all the reviews ive read, and the quality of there packs ive handled.

Cheers!

20. el chupacabra

Doh... Yeah how about utilitarian.