1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Fast Pack EDC Waist Belt

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by skip0911, Jan 30, 2016.

1. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

After wanting a Fast Pack EDC for a number of years I finally contacted them to place an order. During our discussion ,I found that they no longer offer the waist belt in the current design. Being 6'6"" tall, I'm concerned that the pack will slide back and forth on my back even with the chest strap secured.
    I'm looking for any comments or experiences before I place my order.
    Thanks,
    Skip

2. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

skip0911 - I own a Litespeed V2. They told me a separate belt was in the pipeline, but that was a year ago. Did you ask or did they otherwise indicate if that was still in the works?

3. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

Back when I sold my previous gen EDC and bought a LS, i ran a Kifaru omni belt on the LS after seeing Pardner post pics of his.
    Maybe it would work on the new EDC?

4. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

The person at TAD explained that after extensive testing it was found the waist belt was no longer needed as the new strap design caused the pack to ride higher on the back. This resulted in the waist belt becoming a belly belt. Sounds more like a cost reduction move to me. I have always adjusted my pack straps lower so the weight is evenly distributed with the waist belt and this assures the pack doesn't slide back and forth on my back when hiking. I will call them again on Monday to see if they are planning a waist belt in the future. For all of the aura surrounding this pack not to mention the price, I expected the waist belt. We will see, thank goodness there are many other options to choose from.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Skip

5. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've got the previous generationI Fast Pack EDC. The belt really was too big for the overall size of the bag. I think the belt was developed originally for the now defunct FAST Pack PS (Patrol Size) that was more along the line of an actual weekend camping bag. But for some reason they kept selling the belt. Probably because the EDC was originally being advertised as ALSO capable of being a Technical Bag as well. I took the belt off of my Fast Pack EDC when I was using it as a trip bag, EDC bag and occasional hiking bag. It just wasn't necessary on such a small bag. It doesn't move at all and I'm 6'2". And I was carrying A LOT of dive free dive gear in my bag at the time. You could easily make your own waist belt, really. If the new version still features the pass through tunnel on the lumbar area where the belt went in previous models...just get three inch strap with a buckle. If they no longer feature the area for the belt you could get some snap on buckles to go over the side MOLLE to fasten a waist belt system up.

I liked the bag. But it's dry weight (Another reason they and others ditched the belt, I suspect) was around 4.5-5lbs. When I was using mine I removed not only the belt, but the metal stay and the plastic frame sheet. It's an over engineered bag, really. If I was still into the bag I'd probably sell it for the newer model Litespeed (I had an original Litespeed, but when it was from that batch of defective ones they sent me free the EDC as compensation) or the newer model EDC with the actual removable straps that made older models a pain.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  6. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

Great feedback and thanks.

7. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I have a eberlestock halftrack and I'm 90% sure the belt would match up with my edc.

Have gun, will travel...

8. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I have a litespeed, and I admit, on heavier days a waistbelt would be appreciated..

Bowman1911 likes this.
  9. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

For a tall guy I can see the belt riding on the belly. I've read of guys attaching a fanny pack below to extend the pack length, increase carry capacity, and have the desired waist belt.

For me, I can get by with sliding a belt thru the existing pass-thru. Googling "Backpack Hip belts" brings up a lot of interesting options, one of which I may have to try now that it appears TAD won't be releasing their own.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  10. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

I spoke with TAD again today regarding the waist belt. The gentleman on the phone was actually quite short, a step away from rude. I only asked if they plan to look at a waist belt in the future. He went back to the testing story and the new design straps allow for more comfortable carry. He did say many exciting things are on the way but was very terse on the waist belt question. I am sure I'm not the only one who has called on the subject. At this point I'm undecided. I have no problem with the price of the pack but paying another company for a waist belt is a little much. The TAD rep did say that due to the redesign, the belt would now be a belly band. Oh well, thanks to all for the great input. That's what makes this forum such a valuable resource.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  11. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

New straps are comfortable huh.. Not to horribly sidetrack, I carried my Litespeed today, with a 2 liter bladder, compressed down vest, gopro, BC8 pouch with a few tools, and another small case. So overall not heavy, and I gotta say, my back and shoulders were tired after 5 hours! Actually kind of uncomfortable! I grabbed the shoulder straps a lot to take the load off.. I'm sure I have a ways to go in figuring out how to wear it, but I'm a little surprised. I still wish they have us some darn literature on their products.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  12. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Ross2187 Just curious, did you play around with the load lifter straps? I like to cinch them up as much as possible.

13. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Did that..

Sent from my squiggly device using Tapatalk.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  14. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

Update:

I found a new TAD EDC pack previous design with the waist belt on Ebay. (Hooray). Now I try to order the control panel and OP1 in black from TAD. Unfortunately they are out of control panels in black. The gentleman in CS tells me to try the stores maybe they will have one. I call both stores and are advised that
    "sure, the control panels are in stock, sorry we don't ship from the stores, inventory is saved for walkin only"
    You would think CS would know that. Now I'm waiting at least one month, probably more for new inventory in the warehouse.
    Unbelievable, I hope it's all worth it in the end.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  15. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Their CS and In Store Staff have always been totally rude and useless. It's a dying company, though, so it won't be a problem much longer.

16. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

The "load lifter" straps on a pack the size of a Litespeed are decoration only,without a rigid suspension and a load bearing waist belt there is nothing to lift off of. Best case they will pull the load a little closer to your back at the top,but it won't lift anything. And yes I own a Lightspeed.

Mike

onebadwagon, BTG108 and Bowman1911 like this.
  17. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

After being in in the business of manufacturing Capitol goods for many many years, I have learned a valuable lesson. The main reason for a product re-design is cost reduction. This is driven by manufacturing process improvement requirements (cheaper and easier to make). Elimination of features or material specification changes also contribute to the savings. By removing the belt, relocated the straps, and instituting other small changes. It is sold to the public as a product improvement. It was immediately apparent when speaking with TAD CS representative that he was very frustrated trying to justify the change in design continually touting the results of extensive testing. He never mentioned making the changes as a result of customer input. That was my key that this was a cost reduction effort. Fortunately I was able to purchase a new unused previous design EDC pack and wait for its arrival. From input here, I have an OP1, and MSM pouches on the way also. Again, I look forward to owning a pack I have wanted for many years. I travel extensively for business just passing the 5 million air mile mark. I carried a pack when it was not the norm. Now I can retire my Oakly collection. Thanks again to the members of this forum for your valuable input.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  18. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I agree 100%. I've owned both a Lightspeed and an EDC and thought these straps (and many others on the pack) served no real purpose. As for the waist belt on the EDC - mine (forgot which generation, but it was 2 or 3 versions back) came with the belt, but in the end, it never got used. Just too short of a pack to transfer any meaningful weight to the hips. I liked both packs, but all in all they're over-engineered for my tastes.

MikeM likes this.
  19. roycer

roycer Loaded Pockets

High Speed Gear Inc. Sure Grip Slim Slotted belt....wondering if Velcro/loop is on both items to match up...belt&pack....anyone have info??

20. roycer

roycer Loaded Pockets

High Speed Gear Inc. Sure Grip Slim Slotted belt....wondering if Velcro/loop is on both items to match up...belt&pack....anyone have info??