1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

TAD Fast Pack EDC V5 (dial up death!)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ppfd, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

So here it is. TAD Fast Pack EDC version 5. Little background, I had the v3 and while I tried to like it . There were a couple of things that I just could not get around. I felt that the main compartment was difficult to get into, the side pockets were darn near useless, the flashlight cave was about impossible to use and the "tail" attachment straps ran right over the molle webbing.

Well I can say the v5 addressed and exceeded all those problems. So maybe it was not just me.

There are a few things that could be added to this pack, and maybe those will on v6 who knows.

So is spending this much money on a pack necessary? Should a pack cost this much?
    My opinion no.
    So why did I buy it then? Cause I can!:laugh:
    Seriously, I had planned on ordering the EDC and the litespeed and sending one or the other or both back. Well, I'll be keeping the EDC, for a few months at least!!
    I like the modularity that military style packs have. I did a lot of research on a good hiking pack and settled on Gregory (z30) as my next bag. I had ordered a Gregory Miwok 18 and gave it to my GF as it was too small for me.

But something told me to buy a Kifaru x ray again. After specing out my x ray the price got crazy. The EDC has just about everything I was looking for, for less money. The EDC will be my primary hiking pack and maybe an overnight bag.

So enough talking heres the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    The shoulder straps are not sewn on the v5 like previous models.
    [​IMG]
    The waist belt is removable and on the v5 has a sort "delta strap" system that draws the waist belt and pack into your hips and lower back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tail is removable as most know.
    [​IMG]
    Bottom compression straps and webbing along with drainage grommets.
    [​IMG]
    Snack pocket
    [​IMG]
    Side pockets completely redesigned. Notice that the tail straps run between the pals now and have a "support" bracket. All this can be removed and the straps rolled up to the packs back. I do wonder why the top row of pals is only 2 though?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Admin pocket, I believe this is deeper than the v3 I had. Least it seems deeper.
    [​IMG]
    Hydration pocket. Has a plastic frame sheet with an aluminum stay. Very hard to remove and replace.
    [​IMG]
    Main compartment, has 1 mesh zip pocket about half size of the front of the bag. Here was a great improvement as the zipper goes about 3/4 the way down the bag.
    [​IMG]
    back wall
    [​IMG]
    looking down inside
    [​IMG]
    General side view
    [​IMG]
    Nice touch, all the velcro "web dominators" are removable.
    [​IMG]

All in all, I really like it and this model is a huge improvement over the v3, as expected. The zippers are butter smooth! Super comfortable (empty). The added adjustment straps on the waist belt are great. An added touch and it really may be part of the design. The upper buckles that go across the top of the bag act as load lifters as well.

The things I'd add for v6 - a 2 mesh pocket set up like the lite speed, zipper covers across all the zippers, and finish out that particular row of pals.

If you are looking and can swing the price, buy this bag. I give unbiased opinions on gear, especially when that gear is damned expensive. This is a great bag!

2. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

thanks for sharing!

3. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've got the black version of that bag as well, the only things I would warn you to keep an eye out for are the straps fraying, and remember to tuck the shoulder strap back through the strap rail/enclosure. If you weigh it down, the straps do slip.

I'm waiting for the black bags to come back in stock so that they can replace my bag due to the shoulder strap fraying...

4. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tips.
    Do you have any pics of your straps?
    How was TAD service on this? No problems getting a replacement?

5. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

So far they've been great, Stacy has been VERY helpful. As soon as they get the inventory I'm confident that they're going to do the right thing.

I'll take pictures when I get a chance, but I didn't want to post anything negative about Tad Gear or give people the false impression that they have a manufacturing problem. My bag is one of many that they make and I'm sure it's part of a VERY small number of "issues"

6. Delkancott

Delkancott Loaded Pockets

While it's positive you say they'll do the right thing, shouldn't a company hold stock on every model to offer replacements if conditions like this arise? What good is a warranty, or a we'll fix it attitude, if it's out of their hands.

Just .02 from a Litespeed owner.

7. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Absolutely! And had I wanted Khaki/Green/Gray etc I could have had a replacement I'm sure.. But those colors clash with what I wear... ;)

8. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Very Very nice.

I got my Litespeed today, will post some pics tomorrow, love it

9. Robinmasters

Robinmasters Loaded Pockets

Silly question? So i ordered a fast pack to replace my tactical tailor bag which is now being used as my daddy diaper bag. First off, i love this bag. Later i'll post pics of all my gear but in the mean time on to my question. In my infinte wisdom i took out the framesheet to see how it was contructed and now im not sure which way its actually suppossed to go back in. It has a curve to it and notsure if the curve (side with aluminium bar) is suppossed to curve and wrap the bag or the other way and curve round me?

10. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. I've always wondered about those extra D rings on the belt and straps for the "delta strap" system. Funny enough, there is a set of those as well on the Litespeed (but it does not come standard with a belt).

11. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

As far as the frame sheet, easiest way I got mine back in was to take the aluminum bar out, then curve the sheet a little, then once in I put the bar back in.

12. Robinmasters

Robinmasters Loaded Pockets

Framesheet

Thanks, i got it back in but which way is urs facing. Is the bar facing ur back or the pack?

13. Haffner

Haffner Loaded Pockets

Now, that's a promise! Will be looking forward to this O0

14. limitless

limitless Loaded Pockets