1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactile Turn's new Side Click writing instrument, available 10 Jun '20

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by oke, Jun 9, 2020.

1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

For the longest time, I thought Fisher's AG7 astronaut pen with a side-click retract mechanism was pretty cool.

And then, the first iteration of Machine Era's Field Pen (please excuse the use of used-to-be-dependable-for-free-accts pb...) was a cool improvement (where the clip was also the means to extend the pen tip), and has been one of my faves.

Well, as of the recent email, Will Hodges is getting into the side-click retract mechanism game... The email animated .gif for the Tactile Turn Side Click pen is there, and the backstory is over yonder. And he talks about the https://j.mp/TactileTurnSideClickmechanism in a yt vid.

Anyway, looks like it'll come in 3 lengths (for 3 different refill types), and a bunch of materials and colorways, fwiw, and looks to be available tomorrow at 11 am Central (I figure, Daylight?) Time.

Just fyi.

:cool:

twin63 and Eskerbillion like this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Yes, can't wait to buy mine tomorrow!

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm puzzled by why anyone would want a pen with separate deployment and retraction buttons in separate locations. It seems like an affectation. I know there's some kind of "cool" factor involved, but really, it's been done before and didn't really catch on (yes Fisher has one, but they're not the big seller for them). It just seems to be an expensive "fidget toy" to me. As an aside, I do own and love my 1st gen Tactile Turn ti bolt action, and I love that Will tries new things, but bear in mind the Edsel was new at one point....

MichiganMan and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Bad Company

Deleted

Last edited by Bad Company, Jun 10, 2020
    #4 Bad Company, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. Bad Company

There are a very people in the independent business owner/machining industry that I like and support. Will is a genuinely nice guy that provides excellent customer service. I could say less about other independents. I'm happy to support his business.

Now on the other hand, I'd never buy a Tesla haha!

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm not totally sure, but the Fisher was designed for the astronauts and I have the impression that the side button for retract was just supposed to be more ergonomic when wearing the gloves? Which in no way shape or form addresses the obvious: '.. then why could the gloves work for pressing the top button for deployment? Hm?' No idea. I do have one and enjoy using it; most of my Fisher pens though are the venerable 'bullet' and one telescoping model.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

echo victor likes this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’m well penned atm, so not getting in on anything, no matter how good it is. And I think this is. Like Tesla, I didn’t think much of it when it first showed up on my radar. Appeared to be something gimmicky. But it got a stellar review from Tony Sculimbrene, and that’s usually worth something
    https://www.everydaycommentary.com/

8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Wow, y'all are bringin' up some good questions - was the side button retract mechanism a feature of the AG7 so the position of the pen tip (retracted or extended) was surely (or easily & visibly) verified as either opened or closed?!? Maybe that was important to confirm when using one in space?

One thing I was wondering about was whether or not Will's mechanism was the first all-metal version, as he states in his video. I thought the Fisher AG7's mechanism was also composed of metal components, and have a pic and vid of the demonstration model they shared when I visited the store:
    Maybe Will's experience is just with the Mitsubishi BOXY, so he just thinks his is the first all-metal side button push-to-retract mechanism, and hasn't really researched the topic? I only took it apart once, yet I thought that the first iteration of the Machine Era Field Pen had all-metal components as well.

Well, related, here are a few of the writing instruments I've liked which either use a side button or twist mechanism to retract the writing tip (the rotring 600 series black Trio-pen - mentioned wayyy before, ahem - is the one doin' its own thing):
    [​IMG]
    Soooo... Just an opinion, yet I think that the side button retract mechanism is a feature which makes the retraction of the writing tip just a smidge quicker to accomplish. When using the thumb, which might already be resting on the barrel, to press the side button, it's just right there, position-wise, instead of the little bit - subjective, I know - more effort needed to press the click mechanism on top once more to retract the point, and maybe that difference is felt/noticed?

Was actually just re-reading the post above which mentioned the rotring Trio-pen, and then remembered how that first mechanical pencil I received, the Niji Grip 500, has the "button" to retract the pencil lead and sleeve, under the bottom end of the clip. And, like the Cogent Industries (now MagnusX) The One Click Pen, besides the fidget factor, it requires slightly less movement/range of motion to push in the clip than what'd be used to push the top click mechanism. Just seem to remember that it was "nifty" to retract the point by pushing in on the clip, however, the time/effort difference, in the big scheme o' things, is pretty much moot. For the Niji Grip 500, I think the under clip button was used so the knock on top could be pressed further to extend the lead out of the tip and not retract the sleeve, while for The One pen, I think it was just a fun mechanism.

Anyway, since I got 'em out to remember what it was like to use 'em again, they're below as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, I attempted to stay on topic, fwiw... :D

9. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

ooh...theMagnusX one click looks nice...ouch the price.

I gotta say .. The new side click from TT has the new mechanism and new clip. You get his stellar quality and attention to detail.
    For myself, though you have to subscribe to the rest of the pen design.. ie..grip diameter and shape. I found I need a slimmer pen ...so I'll be sitting this one out.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The Devil is ALWAYS in the details. The quality on Will's work is never in question and he's not afraid to pursue new (or reworked) designs and not settle for the status quo. In this particular case, I just don't find a personal use for the new design. At this point in my life, I'm trying to avoid unnecessary complication...:)

11. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Wait a sec, @Bad Company - do ya know Will really well, and so ya know what sorta stuff he's plannin' on creatin' before he lets others know about 'em? That'd be pretty cool!

And if so, what else does the guy got planned/up his sleeve? Just wonderin' if ya have an inside track on any scoops... :D

Bad Company likes this.
  12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Really wanted to check out the quality of Magnus' The One pen, since I had seen his previous projects and didn't buy into his wordsmithing/hype. Ended up that the mechanism wasn't as smooth to use as one might expect with all his self-promotion, and I mentioned that to him (just that it wasn't smooth), so he refunded the pledge, since I wasn't 100% satisfied. So the unconditional lifetime guarantee was honored/pretty nifty.

About writing instrument diameters, I feel like any over half an inch is too thick, yet I haven't dialed in what seems to work best. Neat that you've figured that out!

And @Tesla, that's great that you've narrowed down whatcha wanna focus on. I, otoh, am still kinda like Doug from the movie, Up - Squirrel! Ummm, easily distracted or somethin'. :D

Last, @Bad Company - Will must be swamped, because mine has now made it to the Dallas TX distribution center this evening; the Tungsten Ingotstand got here quicker.

#12 oke, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Sweet, it arrived, and, @Bad Company, yep! Pretty satisfied with it. :D The mechanism does have that metal-on-metal scratchiness, yet I suppose that's sorta expected, and'll maybe disappear with use?
    [​IMG]
    So, although Will says his is the first all-metal side click mechanism, here it be with a couple of others (and MagnusX's "The One" Titanium Click pen is similar):
    [​IMG]

Tesla and Bad Company like this.
  14. Bad Company

Love the Fisher Space Pen!
    That's the original OG!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Yup! & the black Titanium Nitride-coated one is further up in this thread... ;)

So, got another one with the recent drop offer, yet that purchase didn't include engraving. This is the before, fwiw (it's gettin' sent back to TT to get engraved for a gift); cool that they vacuum-sealed it, so then the patina'll only develop once the owner opens it up and uses it:
    [​IMG]
    Just curious, does the clip look a little crooked, where, if the pen were vertical with the clip above the pen refill, it would look like it angles from upper right to lower left? And, is that just a temporary deal, because of pressure in the sealed package on the clip and the possible displacement by the desiccant pack?

ETA that I prufreed gud; needed to revise a typo...

#15 oke, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  16. Bad Company

Yeah, the clip on mine was also a little crooked.
    Need to ask Will about that.

17. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Since I was already in contact with TT to get the engraving done, I just told them about what I noticed, and they said that they'll look at it and make it right when they get it. :D

:cool:,

18. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

@Bad Company - didja get your Side Click pen clip fixed?

It ends up that, even though the tracking said that it was delivered to a mailbox, they didn't ever find the package, so they got another one to engrave and sent that one back (w/ actual engraving blurred out; can ya still make out what it reads?!?):
    [​IMG]
    Well, hope ya get yours all straightened out (no pun intended, yet still kinda funny...)!

Bad Company likes this.