1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactile Turn Bolt Pen Revealed!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nusm, Sep 1, 2016.

1. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

It seems I got lucky with mine but it's been great! Slowly picking up a patina, but brass takes time. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet and Hi-up Lineman like this.
  2. bbrins

bbrins Empty Pockets

I received my two stainless Sliders today along with a new clicker so I can use my Shaker again. I think I like it. About the bolt flopping around when retracted, it is much improved by stretching the spring a little bit, so maybe it would be better to supply this pen with a slightly longer spring so that there is still a bit of tension at the top of the arch. Mine function perfectly with Fisher fine refills, with no modifications other than installing the white plastic Parker adapter.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

3. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Yeah I've been using my Ti for a week now.. to me its a like a SS Jotter on steroids.. I can't get over how comfortable it is to use.

4. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

If I had watched this review, I would not have bought the pen.

MKLight, chaosmagnet and Eskerbillion like this.
  5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have my Slider and didn't experience the QC issues discussed by the reviewer. The machining and action on mine are perfect out of the box; there is no rattle. My biggest gripe is very small; the clip on my sample is great but I prefer one that is extra tight. I don't know how to remove the clip to bend it a bit more.

In my mind this doesn't invalidate any of the reviewer's complaints, it's just meant as a data point that my sample was better.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  6. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

To fix the clip, grab the rubber band that comes with your broccoli and use it get a grip on the top. Unscrew the top, reset the clip tension and reassemble.

chaosmagnet and Eskerbillion like this.
  7. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

Me neither but fortunately a) I didn't see the review, b) my pen seems to have been somewhat better made than his samples (e.g. didn't have the excess clearance at the tip) & c) I find the "C" path action fine after a short time to get used to it - but at first it was awkward.
    Definitely seems to be some undesirable variation in manufacturing and assembly quality, maybe TT could charge a bit more and focus on more consistent build quality?
    Dave.

8. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I don't think the price point has any correlation to build quality. As I posted earlier, this is a brand new pen for Will with a newly designed bolt action. The Movers & Shakers used an off-the-shelf, stock clicker that has a high failure rate, and he now only wants to sell pens that are 100% manufactured by him. I definitely think there's some "growing pains" in the design of these new pens, but I have no doubt that he'll get the kinks out and get it all right. Sometimes being first means getting version 1.0 that still has some bugs in the system!

camporama likes this.
  9. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Been using mine every day. Scuffed it up a bit on accident as the bolt came loose again. Was in a bit of a hurry (writing down parts list for the day at work) and grabbed some fine cloth and small vise grips to crank the bolt back on. It's on now but the bolt is a bit marred up. :( Oh well it's a work pen.

10. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

After a couple of weeks of ti Slider use, here are my thoughts.

This pen is fun, but it's got issues. The cartridge rattles, there are sharp spots by the top junction and on the bolt slot -- nothing terrible, but you notice it when handling the pen. Most importantly, I dislike the grooves more and more (my greatest annoyance about the pen). If they were just toward the bottom, that would probably be OK, but using this pen for an extended period, such as note taking in a meeting, it can become uncomfortable, especially on the webbing of the hand. I also think the grooves under the clip may be bad for clothing.

On the plus side, it's comfortable, looks cool, and I've grown to like the bolt path, though it seems much better suited for lefties like me, rather than righties, so others may have a different experience. I also prefer how a purposeful nudge can cause it to retract, compared to J path pens that require more a down and nudge motion. I love how deep the cartridge retracts and think it's the best feature of the pen. And, as I said before, it's just really fun.

Maxmadco vs Tactile Turn: The Maxmadco has returned to being my main user. It's more comfortable, the bolt mechanism is better, and the fit and finish is perfect (no rattle and everything is precisely finished). It's worth the extra cost. What has helped the Maxmadco return to daily use was, ironically, the reminder provided by the Slider on how good the Schmidtt EasyFlow is. I had avoided using it in the Maxmadco because it can wick in the pocket, but I have realized that while nowhere near the depth of retraction the Slider provides, it is still around three times more deep than Jotters and probably even more than Karas' clickies. That, with the unlikelihood of deployment in the pocket thanks to the low-profile bolt, and I think I'm safe, at least in pants pockets (still squeamish about a dress shirt pocket). So, the MMC beats the Slider when both are using the same refill.

I'm keeping the Slider as my quick jotting pen on my desk (I think it deploys a little faster than the MMC), but it's not comfortable enough to be my regular use pen. I like Will, but I can't stand the grooves or the rattle of this pen for writing more than a line of notes.

MKLight likes this.
  11. specv510

specv510 Loaded Pockets

I'm still loving both of mine in titanium and copper. They've both had minor issues, but nothing I couldn't work out. It's funny how different we all are. I don't care about the rattle in this pen, but when I'm driving I get irritated by any little rattle a vehicle makes. As a teenager I drove a 1970 VW Bug and when I sold it there was more than a few chewed up pieces of gum helping to stop some of the rattles.

12. THX2008

THX2008 Loaded Pockets

Purchased my ti Slider for a couple reasons:

1) Beefy clip.
    I'm undoubtedly in the minority here, but carry my pens in my front pant pocket. Invariably they'll snag on something, be it a car seat, door jamb, whatever, and the clip will get torqued. No big deal to disassemble and re-tension the clip, but not something I want to have to worry about. I don't with the Slider.
    2) All metal construction.
    I own a Maxmadco in stainless, and while I have no doubt that the Delrin insert will outlast me, I like the fact that the slider's corresponding part is metal. Call me a purist, or ocd, but it's the same reason I'd never part with my all metal Beretta or HK P7, even though I carry a Glock.

As for the Youtuber's gripes- No, the "C" channel doesn't seem to offer any appreciable benefits over the standard "J" style cutout but, once you've gotten used to it, doesn't strike me as a negative either. Yes the pen rattles when you shake it, and perhaps a more thoughtful design could have prevented that, but a very minor annoyance as far as I'm concerned. My clip tension was fine, and I like the barrel texture.
    My only real complaint is the tip diameter. Unlike my Maxmadco, I find the thickness of the tip obscures the exact location of the ball point, making it difficult to tell where, exactly, my intial marks will be. Nitpicky perhaps, and like the "C" channel I've gotten used to it, but an annoyance nonetheless.

Overall I'm happy. I wanted a pen I wouldn't have to baby, and that's what Will delivered. Quirks notwithstanding, I'd buy it again.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  13. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

Judging by the comments on the build quality of the significantly more expensive Maxmadco pen there actually is a correlation between build quality and price. Whether there is causation is another question.
    I understand this is a "v1.0" product but it was prototyped and I still think the Kickstarter shipment could have been slightly better built. Having said I'll reiterate what I & others have said which is that I like & use the pen despite some initial concerns.

Dave.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  14. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I agree that there have been a few issues with some KS pens that shipped, and I think the reason is that Will may have underestimated the demand for this new pen. Problems creeped in with the attempt at fast-paced production. Luckily, Will seems to truly care about customers, and he does everything to possible to correct any problem.

That said, I love my titanium Glider, and it's become my current daily driver. I did do a couple of things to it when I got it. First, I got a cloth and pliers and tightened the bolt as a preemptive measure. Second, I robbed a spring out of a Papermate InkJoy gel pen, which is a little longer and a little stiffer than the spring the pen ships with. It got rid of the slop at the top of the bolt action, but it does now require a little more force to engage the ink. It's not bad, but it requires more finger force to open. I'm willing to make that trade off to get rid of the slop.

I can't wait for my DLC coated Slider to come in!

Here is a pic of me using the Glider in church to take notes (my wife is in the foreground, I'm in the background).

[​IMG]

Eskerbillion likes this.
  15. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Oh, I forgot that I also cut a tiny piece of the tubing that comes with Karas Kustoms pens and put it on top of the Pilot Juice refill. It makes the tip extend a little farther, which I like better.

Look at me modding my pen!

THX2008 likes this.
  16. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Was she using a uni-ball 207?

17. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Ding! That's exactly right. It's funny that, as pen-obsessed as I am, my wife will write with anything she picks up from anywhere and doesn't care. The only reason she's using a 207 is because I take a pen for her, and I gave her this to her to use.

18. bmwboris

bmwboris Loaded Pockets

I just received my Glider from Will and I'm totally pleased with it.

My pen came totally perfect with none of the issues described in the other posts. Fit and finish in all areas are spot on.

Admittedly there is a smidge of bolt rattle but that only happens when I shake the pen rigorously (and I only did that to check if there were any rattles). In day to day use I would never shake it like that so in my mind - the pen is perfect.

Thanks for a nice pen Will

19. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

For those of you who are liking this pen enough to want another one Huckberry dot com have a special on most of the metals and sizes at the moment, "ending in 5 Days" it says on their page. Pricing looks about the same as the original Kickstarter prices.

20. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I got a Kickstarter titanium Glider and it's been my EDC for a few weeks now. I absolutely love it, but I do feel that it's a little long. I added to my initial KS pledge to get a DLC coated titanium Slider, but we all know the problems Will has had with the coating company, and I'm still waiting on it. I felt like I would like the Slider better than the Glider since it's a little shorter, and I saw that Huckberry had this sale. Out of impatience and sheer curiosity, I decided to pull the trigger on a brass Slider.

Of all the machined pens I've bought over the last three years, I've never gotten a brass pen. The price was right, so I ordered late Monday night, and it was delivered this morning. I have to say that I think I'm in love with this pen! I will admit that it's the heaviest pen I've used (duh, it's brass), and I have to get used to the weight, but I love the color and the feel of it in the hand. I cut a Pilot Juice blue-black refill to put in it, and it's dang near perfect. I carefully cut the refill to leave it as long as possible and still allow the bolt to work. It takes a little effort to engage, but, #1 the tip goes out a little farther than normal, and #2 there's no slop at the top of the bolt. I also haven't had any problems with the bolt coming loose in this pen like I did the titanium when I first got it, so it looks like either that issue has been resolved, or I got a lucky "good one."

This is the closest I've come to my grail pen - bolt action, the right length, nice feel, and uses my favorite Pilot Juice blue-black refill. My only problem is the weight - I just don't know if I'm going to be able to adjust to it.