1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactile Turn Bolt Pen Revealed!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nusm, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I've been quiet on this thread, because I haven't received mine yet (or even a shipping notification). I'm a little disappointed, but I looked on the comments of the Kickstarter page last night, and Will says that, in spite of being very clear that the top & bottom parts of the 300 DLC pens couldn't be mixed up, they were sent back mixed up. He went out of town for the weekend, and won't be able to address it with them until tomorrow and figure out what to do. In spite of the fact that I also ordered a titanium Glider, my DLC coated Slider is what's holding up my order. I was getting a little frustrated that I was pledge #196 and my pens hadn't even shipped yet while everyone else was posting pictures of theirs, but at least now I understand why.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. BASR

BASR Loaded Pockets

The Kickstarter campaign page says, "Sliders will include the Glider spring." I only received one spring in my Slider package, so I sent him an e-mail a few days ago. No reply yet.

3. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Mine has been coming loose as well. The screw should've been lefthand-threaded (don't know the technical term) since the action is circular and seems to undo itself by regular use. Haven't lost the bolt yet but wondering if I should loctite it before carrying it in my Skinth to work..

Was able to tension the spring so the top end doesn't slop around as much. Still a bit bothersome but the pen itself is nice to write with. Looking forward to using it on some logbooks. :D

4. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

5. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Clip comparison with Tibolt and KK. The glider has the thickest and widest clip out of three.

Last edited by TiBoy, Nov 28, 2016
    chaosmagnet and Eskerbillion like this.
  6. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

G2 & Uni-ball Refills in Glider. Tips of different refills protrude differently.

Eskerbillion likes this.
  7. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

My bolt is in tight, can't even unscrew it if I try to, but the threading makes sense for the way I'm using the pen since my thumb would be constantly tightening the bolt in every time I flick it.

8. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

He (Will Hodges) said somewhere he was using Loctite 222 (purple, for small diameter fasteners), I wonder if that is the case? I did wonder at the time if that would be adequate. I would expect blue Loctite to be quite permanent once it has cured fully (i.e. may damage screw if you ever needed to remove it), this will take longer with some materials than others (s/s likely to be slow for example). Can speed up the cure by warming the part.

Dave.

9. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

This morning, my thread-locked bold (medium compound) came completely loose after it cured overnight and was used for a day. I think the direction of the threading for the bolt and the horizontal top of the bolt path may be fatal design flaws to this otherwise spectacular pen. I can live with the looseness in the bolt path at the top, but not the bolt peg constantly loosening up. ugh.

10. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I did not get shipping info yet or my pen. That said, leave it to us pen nuts here to find a flaw in the design 2 minutes after getting the pen (sarcasm and humor meant here). Does anyone know if the maxmadco or any other bolt pen for that matter has a left handed/reverse thread bolt/screw? I'm thinking they just have a bolt with more threads? The maxmadco screw has a smooth brass sleeve and its a torx screw screwed into a plastic bolt. Again, I'm thinking if the screw was finer threaded and loctite used it should not go anywhere. I'm thinking red loctite like one uses on car bolts but then one always has a wrench to torque those off.. here if one needs to take the bolt off its vice grips or pliers..there is no screwdriver head to the screw. Definitely interested in what Will comes up with.

11. DGGoingUphill

I only have two bolt pens to compare to: a MMC and a Karas. The MMC does have the brass shim, but I don't know if it is free floating, but it is definitely more slippery than ti on ti. The Karas is just a bolt. In both cases, the bolts have been rock solid over lots of use. I think the real issue is not the force of the bolt track on the bolt stem, but the pressure from the the thumb. For the Karas, one does not directly manipulate the bolt stem, so it's not an issue. On the MMC, the bolt head is smaller (less potential friction), but more importantly, through all, but a small portion of the bolt path, all of the force is downward. On the Glider, there is a lot of counter-clockwise rotational force from the thumb at the bottom of the bolt path. Also, that pressure is over a lengthy arc, where on a J bolt, it's a tiny portion of the bolt path. And, that is also where the spring is in its last third of compression, so more force is required by the thumb as it slides from the top to provide the downward force at the top, to the the side at the bottom.

12. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I sooo want a bolt pen. But just a simple nothing fancy and only out of probably stainless steel, I've only found one place that I like and yet their closed or on vacation.. JR

13. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Is your Ti Maxmadco heavier than your Ti Glider/Slider? Which pen do you prefer in terms of comfort, Maxmadco's straight barrel or Glider's barrel with grooves?

14. DGGoingUphill

The MMC is 1 ounce, the Glider is 1.25, so a slight difference. Both have great balance, so the difference isn't noticeable. It's difficult to say which I prefer more for comfort, as I don't have comparable refills, which is a huge factor for comfort. The MMC is thinner, but not too thin, the Glider is wider, but not too wide. I don't think the Glider ridges are at all necessary, as the MMC is plenty easy to grip, but the Glider ridges are also not annoying and could be handy in some situations, though they are also likely to require some sort of cleaning on a regular schedule. The Glider has more options to vary your grip, given the slow slope to the point. On the MMC, you can only grip on the barrel, which has no variation in width.

In terms of fit and finish, they are both from expert machinists, but the MMC is slightly more impressive in the minute details, such as the edges of the clip and the mating of materials (the Glider has an exceptionally matched body joint, as does the MMC, but the MMC is head and shoulders above the Glider around the clip connection, with its perfect countersink, vs the Glider's slight mismatch in size for the top button and a very small gap between the barrel and top button).

The MMC has worked flawlessly since day one and simply functions without causing any undue notice (aside from my hating every refill available for it). The Glider always reminds of you of its "cleverness". Not necessarily a bad thing, but the MMC is perhaps the most precise tool I own, where the Glider is more an exceptionally useful tool that is also an art object, keeping it from getting completely out of the way. There's definitely room for both in my world. And the Glider takes an array of refills that I prefer, so that is what is on my person today (with a bigger gob of thread lock on the bolt than before).

Last edited by DGGoingUphill, Nov 28, 2016
    TiBoy likes this.
  15. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Email rogerlongtran@gmail.com His Ti Shaker is listed at $120 on Bladeforums.com.

16. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

Received mine today (brass Slider). Bolt came loose in about 5 minutes... There was NO threadlocker residue visible on the bolt, I believe it was not applied.
    Re thread direction, I suspect either way (right or left) could see an un-threading torque; one when extending the insert and one when retracting it. The bolt needs to resist undoing in either direction.
    Have seen the play in the retracted position + refill catching inside (occasionally) when operating characteristics too.
    I think a little red loctite and fine emery paper customisation will probably resolve everything that I am concerned about.

Dave.

THX2008 likes this.
  17. DGGoingUphill

Yeah, no thread lock on mine either. There was grease on the body threads a lot of thread lock on the top. I think the reason why mine came loose again after thread locking was that I was too cautious about getting it on the threads and the first drop out of the bottle was on the light side. I re-applied with a little more and after clearing the top layer of thread locker, and it's been fine since. I also used the paper towel and pliers method to tighten it down, which may also have something to do with the better result (I just used my fingers the first time).

It appears to me that this pen is not able to work with needle points, which I've been seeing on other forums, as well -- the refills hang up. With a G2 refill, it hasn't caught once. I was hoping to use a Pilot RT refill with this pen, but it's actually quite nice with a .7 G2 (the .38 is a great refill, but didn't seem to match the bulk of the pen in my mind).

18. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Here's mine being put to use. Mapping out some belting for a relatively new machine. Trying to do it in sections instead of going nuts all on one day.
    [​IMG]
    Writes real gud even if I'm in a hurry. :p Another small plus is, it actually rests inside my Skinth properly, where the TiBolt used to stick up quite a bit past the velcro flap. Downside is, won't be using it to pull any belts on in a pinch. Don't wanna mar the copper.

19. AgileElephant667

AgileElephant667 Empty Pockets

A drop of gorilla glue solved the problem of the screw coming loose on my copper glider. It's rock solid now.

MichiganMan and chaosmagnet like this.
  20. Slacker

Slacker Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the heads up! I might have a lead on one.