1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactile Turn Bolt Pen Revealed!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nusm, Sep 1, 2016.

1. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

In the Slider, does the refill tip wobble while writing?

2. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

One videos review indicated there isn't any wobble so I went ahead and ordered Ti, Cu and Brass version - will keep the ones I like and send others back. Hopefully I should be able to post my impression in a week or two.

3. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I have sliders in copper and titanium and have no issue with the tip wobbling. I also ordered a brass slider this last week because the two pens I have are awesome! I am sure you will enjoy your new pens after receiving them!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

4. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I trimmed a Pilot Juice refill and put it in my brass Slider, and I don't get any wobble at all. I put a Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 in and tested for you, and I maybe got the tiniest bit. Nothing that would bother me at all, but if you want it to be flush to the sides, I don't think a Parker style refill will be.

5. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Easyflow comes with the Slider and the blue I substituted no wobble at all. This is designed into the pen...tolerances are
    tight.

6. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I didn't think there was any wobble, but I was afraid to say "none" and have someone jump up and say "is too! A tiny bit!"

7. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

I have slight wobble in my Slider with EasyFlow refills. More noticeable due to sound than feel.

8. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

I have a brass Slider: there is just perceptible play in the tip if you hold it and try and move it side to side. This is expected since the refill must be a sliding fit in the pen barrel and account for the barrel ID machining tolerance and the refill OD tolerance. I would expect the German made refill to have tight diameter tolerances (because, not to stereotype at all, but they are good at precision manufacturing) and the play is minimal. When writing there is no detectable play or wobble at all, at least to me.
    Dave.

9. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for commenting on the wobble issue, good to know there isn't any! I'll certainly post my impressions... So far I'm rocking the Shaker and know TT are capable of very tight tolerances, and expect no less on the new pens as well. But real experience always trumps my expectations!

10. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

If you wait a bit, you can get one of these pens.

[​IMG]

11. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

These look good, however certain elements aren't to my liking: length (too long), clip (seems too stiff => more brittle). Interestingly, I don't seem 'em on usg's site - were these kick started? :)

12. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

srvctec is the only person who modded a Ti Maxmadco to take a gel refill. He likes Kevin's new pen.

Fat and heavy is a common problem of Will's design. Maybe, that's his signature.

13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Ti slider is not heavy at all..

Those 3 above look too long ..probably 5.8 to 6 inches from the pic.

14. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Thats indeed very interesting. The new MMC's come with an Itoya gpr-7 refills instead of Schmidt EasyFlow as it used to. Among the MMC line, the Ti has best grip, followed by SS and last Al.

15. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

He can mod the inside, however he can't add grooves.

Last edited by TiBoy, Jan 20, 2017
    #195 TiBoy, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  16. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

It certainly seems to be his signature, given its named Tactile Turn. :)

17. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

Received a SS Slider from Huckberry. Again a couple of quality issues:

1 Edges of the "C" channel required deburring, very sharp as received. Was able to do it easily enough but still.

2 Because the top part (finial?) is ~0.010" smaller in diameter than the barrel there is a step between the two parts. Aesthetically this is a matter of taste but because the end of the barrel has a sharp edge it creates another sharp edge that makes operating the bolt uncomfortable. If it continues to bug me I may try and unscrew the finial and debur the end of the barrel.

On the plus side 1) the refill moves smoothly in the barrel with no hangups, 2) the knob has not come loose (tried to remove by hand and it wouldn't move which is how it should be) and 3) there is very little play in the bolt in the retracted position. These are all improvements over the brass Slider I have.

The SS is a more "dressy" looking pen than the brass option (functionally identical of course) to my eyes.

I believe Will H of Tactile Turn mentioned he was looking to do a pencil next, will be very interested to see that if it happens.

Dave.

PS Reminder - Monday (23 Jan) is Handwriting Day (really ;))

Update 27 Jan. Bolt unscrewed and fell out and sharp edge at the joint with the finial became annoying so took the whole thing apart to deburr edges properly. Noticed no threadlocker for the bolt but was present on the finial threads. Just put it all back together with blue Loctite threadlocker.
    This is fundamentally a pretty good design but they just don't seem to ship in a fully finished state. taking the rough edges off where necessary really makes a big difference to the feel of the pen.
    I really hope the enterprising Mr Hodges gets the finish up to the standard the design deserves on his next design, whatever it is.

Last edited by Dave613, Jan 27, 2017
    #197 Dave613, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  18. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to say I've been using my Ti Slider since late Oct as my primary pen.
    Its held up well with no problems.. I never find it uncomfortable when writing.. it reminds me of my Jotter except it's wider and less slippery and the clip isn't precarious. The girth and weight makes it feel like a more solid jotter minus the refill click and hidden plastic bits. I can find hardly any annoyances with the pen... I haven't felt the need yet to swap to another pen in my collection. (An odd thing).
    As veteran here I really think Will hit it out of the park with this one balancing metal, design and ergonomics.

19. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I would agree. I was using the titanium Glider when it arrived, but, when Huckberry had the brass Sliders on sale, I snagged one. I switched to it when it arrived, and it's been my EDC since. I've never owned a brass pen before, but the weight doesn't bother me, I rather like it. Like you, it's unusual that I stick with one pen for long stretches, but I've had no issues with the brass Slider, and I really like the length and feel. I carry it every day and use it multiple times.

I did get an e-mail shipping notification for my DLC coated titanium Slider just tonight, so I'm excited to get it and see if I like it as much as the brass one.

20. Eskerbillion

Eskerbillion Loaded Pockets

I ordered a titanium Slider last week Tuesday and received it on Friday. Talk about fast shipping from Texas to Michigan! The spring that it came with was very weak, so I tried a few from our bag of disposable pens and settled on the one pictured below. Much better but still, when the pen is in closed position there isn't much resistance at all for the first few millimeters of bolt travel. I love the machining, the clip, plentiful refill options and everything else about the pen. If I could find a spring that keeps the bolt as snug in closed position as the Tinybolt's bolt is then it would be perfect.

The bolt and the top part that holds the clip haven't budged at all so far.

Thanks to all who previously posted in this thread and helped me make the decision to order a Slider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MichiganMan likes this.