1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Karmakanic, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Vegan is an old
    Native American word that means "bad hunter".

Edit: Oops, should have read all the way to the end before replying.

Moco, ManVsLawn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Ironically, Oreo cookies can be eaten by those who prefer a Vegan diet. :eek:

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I like "tactical" gear...

What i like more is that so many people of this generation have respect for the armed forces that the gear (or gear that resembles) has become mainstream...

I could go into more detail about my thoughts on this, but there is firewood to be split...

Wish i had a tactical axe. ;)

4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I tend to see the opposite. I'm more leery of "plain clothes" people. When I see guys in 5.11 type clothes and packs, I see people that might have similar interests to myself and therfore a sense if comrade. I know nothing about the guy in jeans and fleece jacket and wonder what he's trying to hide. seems most criminals on the news are wearing jeans and a shirt. Don't recall seeing a murderer in 5.11 gear.

Just playing devils advocate on the whole distrust guy in tac pants and pack.

Orlando Marquez likes this.
  5. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I hear ya. I didn't make myself as clear as I intended. It's not that I distrust the guy decked out in tac gear—far from it! I'm sure I'd have more in common with him as well. My point is simply that that guy stands out more when we're talking about drawing attention to oneself in public. The guy in jeans and fleece, IMO, is going to blend in with the crowd. There's no reason to think he's any different than any average shopper or pedestrian. Most criminals are wearing jeans and a shirt because most everybody is wearing jeans and a shirt—most criminals have eyebrows, too, for the same reason. :uhhuh:

6. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

IMHO there's four types of people who carry "tactical" gear on a daily basis: Soldiers, EMTs, or other emergency services professionals, preppers/EDCs, mall ninjas, and people with serious social problems (violence geeks). Telling the last three apart can be difficult as mall ninjas and violence geeks tend to classify themselves as preppers.

Stutz, Montani and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I just saw a "Tactical criterium" on an online french store. The picture was literally the picture of the Bic 2mm criterium and is was 45€, instead of 5€. Sure it has a metal spike in it, but come on! Not sure if it is a joke or not but it sure brings the "tacticool" to another new level :D

Last edited by Gilatabar, Nov 22, 2014
  8. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Some shops are selling tactical Christmas stockings now. I think they're pretty funny.

BalancedEdge likes this.
  9. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I do as well, but in all honesty, if I was Christian, I would totally buy one.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Not a joke. Metal spike is behind the graphite... so apparently you can use it as a writing instrument in addition to foiling the evil plans of arch villians and more common evil-doers. Just be sure to have your Slim-Jim snares/handcuffs handy too.

Surcharge might be because Fred Perrin's name is attached to it.

Outside of the dartboard in the man-cave and errant ninja fantasies you should only carry something like this adjacent to a blank check written to the local prosecuting attorney.

FWIW: An X-Acto 9RX is probably a smidge cheaper and actually has a justifiable non-violent uses in daily life... as well as replaceable blades.

And for those who still find their inner 12 year old still unwilling to relinquinsh latent ninja fantasies.... from fully closed position, the impact of the front end of a 9RX against wood trim or similar object is enough to deploy the blade and cause it to embed almost it's full length.... the hit parade of useless trivia continues... woo hoo. :wavespin:

ATB,
    Sam

11. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

Where I am the tacticool look has never actually become A Thing. It's just me. My tactical bags are all modded with multiple dayglo reflective GITD paracord zipper pulls simply so that I can locate stuff in the dark. I look about as tactical as a blancmange.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

other day going into the library at school i saw a guy wearing a mil tac camelbak Mother lode (probably) in marine coyote, it stuck out like sore thumb. i doulbe taked, in the setting of plain clothes civi environment it stuck out, its worth mentioning that my next door neighbor is a "granola" hippie with a maxpedition condor II with every pouch they ever made, maybe its his demeanor but he atleast blends in a bit. hes the last person I would suspect to have a CCW or prior military service

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yup, blending in is important. Especially after the brown stuff hits the fan. Main reason I decided against buying a 5.11 Rush 24 as my Work/Get Home bag. Nothing wrong with the bag itself. But even in back-pack crazed Manhattan, it would stick out horribly.

Moco likes this.
  14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Meh. It can and often does stick out, but think about how often you've seen woodland camo patterns around. The MARPAT, UCP, and whatnot are all next on the list - I fully expect to see a lot of folks walking around with surplus UCP-pattern gear just because the Army is shifting patterns (again) and now there's a lot of both government surplus -and- third-party vendors looking to cut their losses now that nobody actually has to buy what is perhaps the worst formal camo idea known to humanity.

Moco likes this.
  15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It's important to blend it. Even with all of the back-packs seen on the backs of nearly everyone in NYC, surplus bags are rare. Any type of military surplus pack is going to stand out horribly. (Unless it's an OD green messenger bag that's decorated with Peace buttons, stickers, or drawings.)

comeonbabylightmyfire likes this.
  16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Probably depends on where you are. Around here there's a military base and surplus clothing and bags are pretty normal. Not to mention the vast number of hunters that come around all decked out in camo, in season anyways. However camo bags and jackets are quite common all year round.

I carry both a plain canvas bag and my R12 in my jeep. I'd rather user the Rush, but if the situation warrented the plain one, I'd move my stuff over.

Monocrom likes this.
  17. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

Aaaah, you've seen me around.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yes, in your neck of the woods, such packs are common. So anyone having one would blend in. That's the best way to go.

19. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I need to get out and explore the world and experience some different cultures. It's pretty red neck around here. Nothing wrong with that mind you. I'm free to do as I please with very little inhibition. Guns, knives, off roading, hunting, fishing, hiking, molle packs, and camo gear if that's your thing. I enjoy living here, except the winter weather, but it would help me understand different opinions better if I ventured away for a short time.

JustinJ and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  20. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Make it flat black, multicam or coyote tan, put Velcro/molle/picatinny rails or any combination thereof on it and increase the price 100%. Tag it with "Operator Approved" and make that 200%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tristar777 likes this.