1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical Wallet Review/Cheers to Knuckleduster!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Solstice, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Solstice

Solstice Loaded Pockets

I'm sure this info will come as no surprise to those folks fortunate enough to have recieved one of knuckleduster's brilliantly designed cordora wallets based on the original mission wallet design. I recieved mine last night and I felt like I had to start a new thread to both voice how much I like the wallet and to give knuckleduster a big thumbs up for service above and beyond the call of duty. Before I get into the wallet, here's what happened: I've been having problems with my paypal in that I recently moved from New Jersey to San Franciso, and put my new address in my paypal profile, yet despite selecting the new address when sending paypal payments, dealers somehow end up with the old address anyway, and ship to NJ. Normally, this isn't a big deal, as I have people at that address that are willing to reship to me (read: parents ;) ), but in the case with the tactical wallet, I kept asking if it had arrived, and they said that it hadn't. This was several weeks ago, so the original package must be lost in mail limbo or something on its way through Canadian customs, or my parents just missplaced it and forgot about it in a pile of clutter. Regardless, I contacted knuckleduster to see if he had tracking info or anything, and he offered to send a new wallet directly to me, free of additional charge!! This was a most generous and trusting offer, and should the original package somehow materialize, I fully plan on returning it to him so he can properly sell it to someone else (or keep it and pay him for it- its a good enough product to own 2 :) ). Now on to the wallet.
    I'm not going to go over the details of the design as there are plenty of picts in other threads already, I'll just describe how versatile this wallet is to use. It makes edcing many permutations of formerly difficult to edc items quite easy to always have instantly available. I expect that anyone how tries one of these will be caught in another puzzle loop of edc carry similar to what occurs on a keychain- phasing in and out different items as the spirit sees fit. The difference here is that the items the wallet can carry and organize are able to be larger and more usefull. For example- the small front pocket is suitable for a small thin knife (like a Kershaw Leek) or a AA based flashlight (Fenix, Jetbeam, Inova X1 etc) or a thin keychain pepperspray unit. The larger pocket can hold a larger/thicker knife (any of the FRN Spydercos for example) or a full sized pepper spray, or a midsized multitool (Juice or Swisstool Spirit). Or you could do a thin but larger knife (Benchmade 530) and a bic lighter. As you can see, this thing is limited by your imagination and what you use day to day, but even full, the wallet stays pretty compact and the elastic keeps the items in place, yet easy to grab out of the pocket at any moments notice. Right now, I have: Small pocket- JetBeam MK-II; Large pocket- Leatherman Juice S2; "Slot" pocket- Certs powerful mints, 8$ in 1s and 5s, School ID; Zip pouch- the rest of my cash and all other cards. The whole thing isn't any bigger than your typical "Kostanza" wallet, and it makes sure I have these items with me. I'm sure the particulars will change as I experiment with what works. As others have said, the materials and build quality (with ykk zipper) are top notch. Highly reccomended!
    Jon

2. knuckleduster

knuckleduster Empty Pockets

Thank you Jon! It is always a pleasure to do business with such kind friends.

Dave

3. jryan76

jryan76 Banned

Nice Review Solstice and well said. I would agree completely, the tatical wallet I recieved has become my favorite wallet ever, and I've tried many, many different ones. I like this one so much for the ability to carry my Micarta Sebenza in there, a flashlight(Fire-Fly III, Inova X-1, or sometimes my HDS EDC) Not to mention I can still stuff it full of cash and cards and its good to go. Still fits perfectly fine in the pocket...this thing is great!

Thanks again Knuckleduster for introducing this great design to everyone. It was exactly what I was looking for!

jryan76

4. doctorbenny

doctorbenny Empty Pockets

I was going to create a new post to praise the tac wallet, but now I noticed this and the reviewer hit the nail in the head when he said that it makes it easier to carry items that are otherwise awkward to carry. Fanstic item.

If you care, this is what I can carry:
    Benchmade 707 in the little slot, though I did have to cut that elastic for easy knife sliding. In the big slot, I managed to stuff a bic, chapstick, Victorinox waiter, and a pen. The cell takes the big pocket, which leaves it stuffed, yet still totally pocketable.

In summation, if you have a bunch of spare stuff floating in your pockets--buy one! I might have to get another. Another kudos to Dave the Duster. O0

5. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I too love mine. I originally started using it for work to keep stuff off my belt and free up my pockets. But I find myself using it most all of the time now.
    I have a X1 in the small pocket, a pair of nitrile gloves in the slot and cash and cards in the zipper section. the large pocket I rotate between different SAK's.

the two features I love the most is that:
    A-I can keep my spare change from purchases in the zipper section to free up my pockets and stop "pocket jingle"
    B-The wallet, with a spare knife AND flashlight goes un-noticed in my back pocket. I liyterally cannot tell I have the wallet on me and I am not constantly reminded that I have a spare light on me as I would feel it in the pocket if carried alone by itself.
    This wallet is truly comfortable to me. I find it versatile and useful O0

6. Pyro

Pyro Loaded Pockets

Got mine today, I just transferred my cash and my debit card into it, I'm currently working in an office where I don't feel that knives are acceptable so I've been going in "naked", but I've now got my EDC (spydie UKPK) in the knife part, but unfortunately I don't have a flashlight that'll fit it (any recommendations), I've attached a paracord lanyard to it with a grimloc on the end so I can secure it to my belt/belt loop, in the compartment behind the knife and torch compartments I'm storing a packet of steri-strips, some plasters (band aids), some pain killers and some caffeine pills.

Not carried it yet, but I'll be carrying it all of this week so I'll report back on how I'm finding it.

I found the zip a little small for my manly fingers so I attached a bit of paracord with the inner strands removed as a zip pull:
    [​IMG]

David

7. knuckleduster

I use an Inoval X1 - right diameter and length. And relatively inexpensive - LED and AA battery.

8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I've seen these wallets in othere places but.....

:worthless:

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Empty Pockets

You can find pictures right here at home.

10. Pyro

Pyro Loaded Pockets

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Not a great pic though :(

11. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Only problem I find with carrying the X1 in the small pocket is that i have to remove the wallet frm my pocket to replace the light if used. I have a very small loop of GID cord through the lanyard hole of the X1 to help in pulling it out for use. Works great, very easy to get the light out of my back pocket to use, but upon replacement, the elastic bad kinda binds up the pocket when trying to reinsert the light.

Only a minor inconveinience in my eyes to the overall usefulness of the wallet. A smaller 1xAA light would slip in and out easily, but this is relevant only if you do not want to remove the wallet from your pocket to retieve the item(s). and a small fob aides greatly in retrieval.
    YMMV

12. Solstice

Solstice Loaded Pockets

As much of a flashaholic as I am, I just don't need a flashlight that often living in the city, so I "downgraded" the light in the wallet from a JetBeam MK-II (which I still keep in a bag if I'm carrying it) to a Fenix L0P Special Edition. Basically, this almost the same light user interface wise, but it uses a AAA battery instead of a AA, so the light is much smaller and therefore less noticable in my pocket (not that the JetBeam was so bad). I'm hoping that all of the hoopla over the new Cree XR-E emitters translates into more AAA lights (the lack of focus isn't such a problem as these are floodlights anyway) with perhaps comparable brightness but way longer runtimes. Or a little more brightness on high never hurt ;). Anyway, with the L0P SE in the wallet, I don't even notice that I've got a nice multi-level luxeon light with me. Anyway, sorry to hijack my own thread ;)! Still loving the wallet.

ps to knuckleduster if he is reading this: If another run comes around, is there any chance I can request the purchase of a "custom" unit with one tiny modification? While many folks may find the lanyard hole/rivet quite useful for securing the wallet to a chain, etc, I myself don't use it and could use the extra bit of space it takes up in the zip pocket. As it looks as though this is a step that is done toward the end of the manufacturing process, I am surmizing that it would not be much trouble getting one of these "sans" rivet hole. Let me know if this is a posibilty somewhere down the line- no hurry as obviously, the wallet I have now is working out just fine. Thanks,
    Jon

13. Pyro

Pyro Loaded Pockets

It's the end of my 2nd day carrying it and I'm really happy with it, the only addition I'd really like to see to it would be the main compartment being split in 2 sections, since I'm paranoid about things falling out (such as my debit card) when I go for cash, but I'm thinking of getting a small money clip to keep inside it.

I'm going to buy an X1 to carry in it next pay day, having to take the wallet out of my pocket to reinsert the flashlight wont bother me since it'll mainly be as a backup for my E2E.

14. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I too am very happy with this wallet. I keep my Nokia on the "knife" pocket, a Fenix L1P on the "flashlight" pocket (both perfect fit), paper cash on the one behind those, and a Space pen, mini Bic and coins in the zippered compartment, which still has space for other small items usually lost in my trouser pockets.

I also ran a paracord fob through the grommet to help it being easy to pull out of my jeans left front. (On the right front I keep an Endura 4 Wave, on the left back my Moleskine with ID, VISA and ATM, and on the right back my keys with a Fenix L0PSE and MiniPribaby.)

This makes for a total system which I'm very happy with! Congrats and thanks, Knuckleduster!

15. knuckleduster

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback!

Dave

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I carry an older CMG Infinity flashlight in the small outer pocket, a Boker SubCom in the wider pocket, and am currently experimenting with the 'money/card clip' section of a Jimi wallet removed and put in the zippered pocket along with a couple of other cards.

I would also find the grommet to be better as an option instead of a regular part of the wallet. Now that I have mine I'm not complaining, but that would be the one thing I would change. Others may find it very helpful to have the grommet. It's all personal preference. I would add a small loop to the backside of the wallet to attach some paracord to just to make it easier to grab the wallet of add a lanyard to it.

(I will try to remember to take a picture of my set-up, for those that enjoy the visual stimulation.) :peep:

17. Pwallwin

Pwallwin Loaded Pockets

I would love to see the pic, and from anyone else.  I don't have a lot of stuff to put in my wallet - and I haven't been able to get into the habit of carrying it.  It looks good in my black Fatboy though.

18. Pyro

Pyro Loaded Pockets

When my X1 arrives in the mail I'll take another pic of my tactical wallet and its contents, I've got quite a lot of stuff in there at the moment :)

19. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

I'm using mine a bit differently than I expected so far.
    The big pocket is too big for most of my knives (they fall out)
    but it fits my cellphone. The small pocket fits a fountain pen.

20. Pyro

Pyro Loaded Pockets

I now have an X1 to carry in it so here's pictures as promised :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]