1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical/Thigh/Drop Holster Beretta for (M9) 92/96

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by tltb26, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

Apologies (and please move) if this is posted in the wrong area.

I have a good friend who will be deploying soon & I would like to purchase a tactical/thigh/drop holster as a gift of gratitude & support for her secondary weapon Beretta (M9) 92/96. She has seen some of the high density carbon-fiber polymer material type holsters & she didn't care for the look (too tactical?). She seems to have a preference for the Nylon types with the built in mag holder.

I only have experience with the Blackhawk SERPA LII holster for the same weapon in an LE capacity. I loved my holster (gave it to another friend who is mobilizing); the suspension system felt secure & comfortable, the M9 felt secure yet it was still easy to draw. You would never know from looking at it, that it had been banged against, banged with, dropped/tossed etc...it took a fair beating & showed minimal to no signs of wear & tear. And I happen to like the tactical look.

So, after some researching, I seem to have it narrowed down to a Specter Universal Tactical Holster. Mostly, I've read some general "great holster" kind of comments and only a handful of detailed comments (likes/dislike/pro/cons/experiences). It is a USA made brand so that makes it a definite plus.

I figured since, we have such a diverse community forum, I'd see if anyone could provide some positive/constructive feedback. Suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks much.

2. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

3. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

4. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

hardcider75,
    thanks for the suggestions. I did research the safariland holsters & they seem to be highly recommended. But, she seems to prefer the nylon types. I hopefully didn't overlook it, but safariland doesn't seem to make the nylon type.

5. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

I didn't stumble across the eagleindustries holsters in my search. The Mark V's along with the BH Omega will be definite contenders.

Much thanks again.

6. vipers

vipers Loaded Pockets

The Spec-Ops Vapor is an option. Comfortable on the leg and stays in place very well.

7. HAMMERHEAD2

HAMMERHEAD2 Empty Pockets

Check the "original SOE gear".

8. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

Thanks vipers & HAMMERHEAD2 for the additional suggestions. I don't know how I missed the Vapor holster especially since she just picked up the Spec-Ops Mamba Sling for her M4 from our local AAFES. We'll have to check again next time we go (we tried to do a grab n go...but I get a bit distracted when surrounded by quality LE/military/tactical gear). And prior to this mention, I had never heard of "Original SOE gear"; however the website states both the SOCOM & Original Drop leg holsters are "not currently in production" and they are "not taking orders for it at this time."

I started asking some of people I know who have been deployed about their experiences with their holsters; it's been hit or miss because while some of them can relay details on comfort, functionality & or security...they can't recall the brand or model of their holster. So my mission continues...

Much thanks again.

9. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I own this holster from Condor:
    http://www.condoroutdoor.com/tlhtacticallegholster.aspx

On the plus side, it's really well built. It's universal and holds my full-sized Springfield XD easily, so an M9 should be no problem. I picked it up (new) at a local surplus store for $20.

On the downside, I noticed that despite the grippy leg straps, it seemed to creep up when getting in/out of my car. I don't know if this is normal with all drop-leg holsters; it could have been related to the pants I was wearing. I'm not LE or currently military, so I don't wear it often. It might just be a result of "operator error".

Perhaps it might be better to get a plain drop-leg panel, such as this one
    http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma1droplegplatform.aspx
    and then add a modular holster:
    http://www.condoroutdoor.com/h-beretta_beretta_ambidextrous_holster.aspx

One thing's for sure though: with a loaded, full-sized hand gun, plus an extra mag in the storage pouch, it's heavy and feels slightly awkward that far down on my body. It's a lot of weight not attached to my waist/torso. I found that simply moving the extra mag to a belt pouch (leaving the pistol in the holster by itself) made all the difference.

Too bad she doesn't care for the Serpa. I had one for my XD and loved it! I got rid of it since, as a regular civilian, it was too bulky for me. Awesome holster, though.

10. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

Thanks again all for feedback. Upon consideration & research to include all your suggestions, we are going to go with the Specter Universal Tactical Holster. We'll see how it performs...I'll be sure to post some feedback after she's been in country a bit.