1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack - yet another option!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by panzer, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Various other packs have side slash pockets. While I would rather have the zipper on top, the YKK zippers that they use are not likely to slide down on their own...

I still don't know why many manufacturers do that, though. I guess they figure that it might make it easier for the wearer of the pack to access that particular pocket while still wearing the pack? And since it really is designed only to be a "slash" pocket, they figure that you are only going to put something flat in there, like a map or notepad. That or they figure that the side zip design would make it more convenient to reach things that are on the very bottom of the pocket??

*shrug*

2. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Come on TT, clear up your backorders.

But then again anticipation is half the fun.

3. Schuey2002

Hahaha!

Yeah, with GGO now selling their gear, it has been taking longer and longer to get stuff from them...

4. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Oh well, I know it'll be well made, and it's a small business, so I can give them a break. After 4 weeks though (next Monday) I think I'll politely ask them how much longer to expect to wait. Not that I mind waiting for what I want, I just like to have some idea.

5. Schuey2002

Wow! 4 weeks?? Send them an email! They are usually very good about getting back to you...

I personally would've sent them an email after the first two weeks.. lol

6. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Well I'm not in a hurry for it, or I'd have acted sooner.

7. lumbo007

lumbo007 Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing for the side slash pocket they wanted faster access to whatever is inside of that pocket. If you picture having to dig all the way to the bottom going vertical vs horizontal. As a bonus, my netbook fits perfectly in that pocket.

Godel, what color pack did you order? I ordered FG and they shipped it the next day (I ordered it right after the sale started though)

8. BlueSky

BlueSky Loaded Pockets

They might not be likely to slide down, but my luck is they would at that one wrong time. Why take that risk for so little benefit?

Interesting, but that same argument could be made for the entire pack as well.

Thanks to you both for your input. Maybe I'll find out how big a deal it would be to have them move the zipper to the top.

9. Schuey2002

You could also email them and let them know your concerns.

Since they do custom work, I don't see why they couldn't move the zipper to the top. Or even turn the zipper around, so that when it is closed, the zipper pull is on the bottom..

Another option that I have seen on some zip-front chest rigs is to sew a strip of Cordura with a button closure on it. After you run the zipper to the top, you snap that strip across the zipper (directly under it) to prevent it from sliding down...

10. BlueSky

BlueSky Loaded Pockets

I sent an email to TT about moving the zipper, we'll see what they have to say about it.

The idea about the zipper keeper is good, even I might be able to pull that one off. Thanks

11. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Ranger Green. Apparently it's popular.

I heard back from them, they said they expected it would ship within 2 weeks of the date I am posting this. I'm sure it will, I've always had good luck with TT.

12. BlueSky

BlueSky Loaded Pockets

Received a response from TT today:

"The reason the zipper is on the side is so when it is attached to your
    pack and is on your back you can access it from the side zipper. We
    would not be able to change the zipper without building a new pack."

Unless my arms are a lot different from everyone elses, I don't see how one could reach behind, open the zipper, access the pack, find what you need and secure it again, all blind.

A new pack from scratch is probably beyond my budget, so it's either side or nothing.

13. Schuey2002

That doesn't make sense. They have a 'custom shop' that does stuff like this all day long.. smh

14. Schuey2002

Greyghostoutlet has some really cool new packs listed in both ATACS and Multicam. Good prices too.

So if anyone is looking for one of these, it might be worth a stop by their website.

If I hadn't just bought my Eagle A-III, I would snag a Lightweight Assault Pack in multicam. It looks like TT's Removable Operator Pack with some tweeks to it; like a shrouded zipper on the main compartment..

15. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

For anyone considering ordering one who is curious... I posted that 3/14/2011 and I got notification it was shipped 3/25/2011. The order was originally placed 2/13/2011. So that's about 6 or 6.5 weeks as I anticipate it'll probably show up here early this week.

I'm not complaining but I thought anyone interested in this pack might appreciate knowing what to expect.

16. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Here is mine in ATACS.

17. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeballing this pack for awhile. Looks like it may just fit the bill. I have their Enhanced Day Pack (now discontinued) and its holding up well. I got that cuz I have a laptop but now that I'm using a small 7" Android tablet (hacked Nook Color) I don't need all that space anymore, especially with summer coming when I carry a lighter load. I already have their larger Modular Operator Pack in Ranger green along with 3 matching pouches for ****/camping/large EDC, so this would be great for a more streamlined setup.

18. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

It is a nice pack, besides the obvious differences externally, internally it has ripstop nylon instead of cordoura to help cut down on weight, and a Grey Ghost logo on the hydration port cover instead of a TT one. It comes with two sets of docking hardware. I love Grey Ghost!

19. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I just called to order one in Ranger green but they only have Coyote brown and ACU in stock at this time. drats.

20. DTM_Oskar

DTM_Oskar Loaded Pockets

Awesome! I was close to dumping that money into the kifaru! Thanks!