1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical Pens

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Ross2187, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Anyone carry "tactical pens"? I'm looking at the Uzi Defender, and Pocket Shark.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You mean those purposeful-looking Jyawara-kubaton-esque devices lightly-cloaked as writing instruments meant really to impart grievous bodily harm to the unsuspecting and are likely to be confiscated by those wonderfully-trained watchmen employed by the TSA?

no

jbraman, smokingfish and kertap75 like this.
  3. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

ehh.... I prefer a writing instrument designed to be an excellent writing instrument rather than one designed to be a self defense product.
    I don't often find that the "tactial pens" are enjoyable to write with beyond a signature. On the other hand, a good quality metal pen could be a pleasure to write with and be equally effective as a last ditch self defense weapon as any of the "tactical" pens.

A pen would never be my first choice for defensive violence, so I'd rather have one that serves its primary purpose first and foremost.

4. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i tried one of those uzi pens years ago. clunky twist action, uncomfortable to hold, bulky in the pocket, quickly forgotten about as better pens presented themselves.

my taste in pens leans towards things i like writing with and twirling/fidgeting with. so far, the Fellhoelter TiBolt takes the top spot.

5. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

Great writing and tactical pens are the Matthew Martin S500s.

6. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Knock on wood, I've never been attacked and needed to defend myself, especially with a pen. I've never driven my car off of a bridge into the water and needed to break the window to escape. What I do need every day, multiple times a day is a good, reliable, and stylish writing instrument.

(Gosh I hope fate doesn't get me attacked while I'm driving my car tomorrow and force me off of a bridge and into the waiting waters below. Wouldn't that just be my luck?)

7. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

To the OP. I actually have an UZI Defender pen. It's pretty nice.
    It's not the pen you reach for if you're going to write a book, but that's not why you carry it. You carry it for function and to be able to sign your name from time to time or take a note or two.
    It's got a nice weight in hand and feels very sturdy. I keep it in my jacket pocket or a pocket on my vest, depending on outside temp. It's nice to have there in case I need it.

And... I've 'used' it in the past year. At walmart. Someone had locked their dog in a car with the windows up in high summer.

Lets just say... >.>

The glass breaker functions perfectly.

Ahem.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  8. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the Uzi #6, never used as self defense weapon, never used the glass breaker (except for testing), never used the handcuff key. In the pocket is not bad, but scratches my stuff really badly, so i stopped carrying it. For writing it sucks, too heavy, too many twisting action to deploy, uncomfortable grip because it's slippery and with large diameter. Inside of it, the refill is stopped by plastic piece, so earlier (when I got the pen) I was striking on wood (for strength test) when deployed, that plastic piece break off, fixed is with glued screw head. However, I'll rate it 3/10, those 3 points go for its' toughness and the black color.

9. TTPower

TTPower Loaded Pockets

the only reason I would be carrying a tactical pen on me is because there are areas where I won't be allowed to have a gun or a knife on me. It's better than using my fist.
    I like the S&W tactical pen

ran23 likes this.
  10. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The closest thing I have to a tactical pen is my aluminum Embassy pen. It's extremely well balanced for writing and is non-threatening looking.

However, if needed, it might serve as a kubaton. Maybe. But that's not why I bought it.

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Ok I admit, I picked em up at Blade HQ... It may have been the free patch if you send $25.. bunch of enablers!!

Bowman1911 likes this.
  12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

As mentioned above the embassy pen is a great middle ground between a "tactical pen" and a classy pen. Heavy duty, easy to grip, simple yet handsome in design, uses a space pen cartridge, is fairly comfortable to write with, and could easily be used in a last ditch situation.

13. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Well a bic 'can' be used in a last ditch situation. I once put a #2 pencil through a buddies hand when he 'jokingly' pulled a knife on me.

Bowman1911 and Moco like this.
  14. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i carry the embassy pen in stainless steel in my left pocket as a backup to my knife, hardly ever gets used as a pen just lives in my pocket

15. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Tried a Pocket Shark, found it to be to fat to be comfortable to write with with too fine a tip for its size. Started carrying a stainless steel fine point Sharpie, much better to write with, refillable and passes TSA with no problems so far.

16. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carried an Archangel and a Schrade for a bit. Like everyone else I found them too bulky to carry and uncomfortable to write with. Now I just carry my Space Pen, which can be used as a pain compliance tool very easily (my brother was a Corrections Officer for 30 years and he used his with great success).

17. Howler4

Howler4 Loaded Pockets

Now not quite tactical, but I've been carrying a Zebra 402 - got the idea from a retired SEAL's book. It's stainless steel, comfortable in my hand, writes decently well, and does not look very threatening. The tip is 0.7 mm and writes "okay" for me. I typically prefer a 1.0 mm tip.

I picked this up for around $5-$6 USD for two pack at a local store. So far it has treated me well as a pen, but I've yet to put it through any other test.

18. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of cheap ones I carry, one or the other.

Not for tacticalness (THATS A WORD!), but because they don't break when I land on them :p

19. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I carried a Hinderer Investigator, still do as a backup, to my picopen backup, and a Tuffwriter for over a year. Even carried the "Police" space pen for about a year, and a regular space pen for a couple years, and a modded zebra 701 for a couple years. I've since moved on to a nice, great writing fountain pen. The Tuffwriter is the toughest tactical pen I've ever owned, while the Hinderer is the handiest tac pen I've ever owned.

20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Here's what's in my scrubtop pocket every day.
    [​IMG]
    I thought I had a collection pic in photobucket of my nice pens, but apparently, I do not. I'll see what I can do after work.

Ross2187 likes this.