1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical pens - anyone using one?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by BaldEagle5556, May 2, 2010.

1. BaldEagle5556

BaldEagle5556 Loaded Pockets

I just recently bought a tactical pen off ebay..... the make is ANZA and the cost was about 16.00. Very heavy duty.

Anyone else carrying a tactical pen and which one do you like?

Tom

2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I use a Schrade. I'd like to have a Benchmade, but I can't "justify" the price.
    I just ordered a couple of Tom Anderson Pens from www.edcdepot.com (great people to do business with).

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have 2 of the S&W pens and one of the Scrades. The cap stays on the S&W pens better for writing. I replaced the ink cartridge in all with Fisher black fine points. They are for writing, no thoughts of self defense. All of these pens have screw on caps

4. bova41

bova41 Loaded Pockets

I have the Surefire, writes great but expensive, got it as a gift. Built like a tank.

5. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I have three Tactical Pens:

1. ANZA is very heavy duty but it is a pain to retract the point without several turns which is annoying to say the least.
    2. Smith & Wesson MP which is a nice pen however, it is a pull apart to write with and I don't believe that it will hold up over time before
    the cap becomes loose and wobbly.
    3. Smith & Wesson original type screw apart to use. However it is on the light weight side of the equation.

All in all each of them has one fault or another and I have yet to find one that I would be happy with. So I will just keep
    on looking to find the ONE that meets my expectations.

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Posted this earlier, but am updating it:

The Timberline tactical pen is pretty low cost. Unfortunately, I've found that it's very difficult to pull the top off due to the O-ring doing what O-rings do: sealing it up.

I like the Fury First Line except that the pen's writing point does not retract (you sort of unscrew it versus click it opened or closed) and there's no cap for it either. Too bad, because at a retail of about $15, this is a really good deal.

Right now the one I'm using and enjoying is County Comm's Embassy Pen, especially since I got it at a "weekly discount" price of $38.50 instead of the regular of $44.50. It's already been noted that the site's "when they're gone, they're gone" statement is just marketing talk. Updated on 5/2/2010: still a great pen and as of yet no problem with the cap coming unscrewed on its own.

This is a bit off the "tactical pen" subject, but still (hopefully) of interest: I also have a LockWrite pen from LA Police Gear that has a handcuff key built into the pen tip: all you LEOs out there should know what this baby looks like (I'm retired, so it's just in my pen collection at home. Several earlier posts on a different thread have already addressed the inadvisability of carrying lockpicks and/or a handcuff key if you're neither a LEO or a locksmith.).

Updated 5/2/2010: just got a Tom Anderson: so far a good pen and very reasonably priced. However, personally, I'm still liking the County Comm pen the best.

7. JCummings

JCummings Loaded Pockets

I have couple I just bought.
    Hopefully, no i'll never have to use them for anything other than writing.
    Like other EDC stuff it's nice to know its there if you need it.

8. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

BM 1100 Tac pen...I've never used it for tac stuff though :(,,,,,,

9. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Use em, carry em and sell em. They each have their pros and cons. Personally I wish they made a tactical clickie pen. Never the less they all write and work like a pen.

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Still using my EDCF Tuffwriter
    I am thinking about getting 2 of the countycomm ones though, i like the look of the blunt end a bit better, and would prefer an impact tool to the penetrating trauma that the Tuffwriter would produce if i had to strike someone with it.
    [​IMG]

11. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

I have had the Surefire EWP-02 for quite awhile. I use it everyday at work. I replaced the ink cartridge with the Parker Gel refill that writes very well but does not last as long as an ink refill. The pen has very good weight, balance and is a good size. I particularly like the clicky aspect of using this pen. After I purchased the pen and went through the easy flow cartridge, I could not get the bottom of the pen unscrewed to replace the cartridge. Surefire for some reason uses locktite on the threads making removal of the bottom of the pen near impossible. Anyway, I buggered up the lower stainless part of the pen and took off some of the finish on the anodized aluminum in trying to get the pen undone. I called Surefire and they told me to send it back. They replaced the pen for no charge and they left off the locktite. Very good customer service.

12. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I had trouble getting my Surefire2 pen unscrewed too, but fortunately I didn't mar it up in any way getting it undone- I keep several pieces of scrap innertube from old bicycle tires around; I put a small piece over the steel end of it and carefully used pliers for a good grip and it came off without too much fuss. That is my favorite pen. Be sure and routinely tighten the tip and the click mechanism, as they could work loose over time/use.

13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i almost got a tactical pen,, i made a order for a hinderer,, after alittle thought i said no and contacted the vender and cancelled the order. after much thought i realized that i have several high dollar pens that i use everyday..and i dont need another hundred dollar pen. but i felt the need/want for a kubaton. so i used the credit and put together a TI Hinderer modular kubaton. i order a pocket clip and one end piece being pointed and the other end looking flat but its really a strike bezel. it looks like a pen and i can pocket it like a pen, but its a serious kubaton. hope i never put it to use.. its always ready if needed

[​IMG]

im not trying to change this thread or to change anyone thinking, im only sharing my personal thinking

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Understood. However, I have been carrying an aluminum Hinderer pen for several weeks now. It works great as a pen. Best part is, I don't have to hold the cap in one hand while writing with the pen. As an amateur writer, I can honestly say that the pen doesn't fatigue or cause cramping while used for long sessions at a time. It's quite sturdy too. I still recall having bought a new pen that couldn't stand up to being carried in a back-pocket. (Especially when I sat down.)

It's an excellent pen with a stylish look. Also, if I get stopped by an LEO for "matching the description," it's going to be laughable if he arrests me for carrying, what; a concealed pen?

The Ti versions are nice, and are actually a great bargain. $240 for a hand-made titanium pen is a sweet deal when compared to say, a stainless steel MontBlanc for about the same price. Still, I wasn't sure if the Hinderer pen would work out, so I bought the $80 aluminum version. Must admit, the bronze color is quite good-looking. So is the dark green version of his aluminum creations.

15. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yea it is ...the pen i had order orginally was the hinderer aluminum ....

16. J.Miracle

J.Miracle Empty Pockets

17. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

After trying and using many different models, I'd say the Surefire EP02 to be favorite, particularly like the clicky and the clip. The other tactical pens work too but most of them don't allow you to screw the cap onto the non writing end. Do have a CRKT Tao on preorder, so we'll see how it matches up when it gets here.