1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Tactical" Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Cadvan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a plain looking, sturdy, metal pen that uses a cap and isn't advertised as tactical, but that can be used as a kubotan or something similar. So far I have had no luck except for the Render K, but don't want to spend more than $20 on it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Stainless steel sharpie?

Parker?

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That uses a cap. I know the Zebra F-701 is a pretty hefty clickie.

The Zebra R-301 might work, but it lacks the robustness of the 701, I think.

4. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

i carry the 301 currently for school. I want a cap pen since it can double as a kubotan easier.

Is the sharpie full metal or just a thin layer like the zebra ones?

The cap Parker pens are a little expensive.

"And Shepherds we shall be for thee, my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand So that our feet my swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
    ~Boondock Saints

5. grathlong

grathlong Loaded Pockets

D he is talking about a different 301 look it up on google with the "r-301" not just "301."

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

oh my bad. mines the f-301 i think. its a clicky

"And Shepherds we shall be for thee, my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand So that our feet my swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
    ~Boondock Saints

7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Stainless Steel Sharpie. You can get them for just under $10 in most office supply, arts and crafts, or big box type stores. Cadvan, you were asking about how thin the metal is on the Sharpie. I have the marker version and the metal on it is pretty thin, way thinner than the metal on my Zebra F-701. A quick google image search should give you a better idea of what the pen version looks like. I tried to take a few pics to give you a better idea of what the marker version looks like:

[​IMG]
    The Sharpie with my County Comm Embassy Pen for size reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

is the sharpie durable enough to use it to take a hit or two?

~Boondock Saints

9. lnytunes
    • +1 Supporter

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

Check out the Articulate Instruments precision machined pen I found on Kickstarter. I actually picked up the Function version of the pen and unlike the Embassy pen, which I own and like a lot, it looks like the cap will post on the end.

tsabatine likes this.
  10. Stonerman33
    • The Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Just received a stainless steel Embassy. Was going to toss it to the girlfriend so she could check it out, but I was afraid it might knock her out if she didn't catch it.

The stainless sharpie would work in a pinch, what you're really looking to do with a kubotan is to use it as an impact multiplier for pressure points or skin on bone, which I think it would do. I don't think it'd survive getting run over with a tank like the embassy would, but I think it could poke out an eye or cause enough pain to make a break for it.

11. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

I think the function pen looks Awesome, but it doesn't appear to have the threads on the end to post the threaded cap, unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: Articulate Instruments confirmed it in answer to a comment of the page. The caps aren't postable.

~Boondock Saints

Last edited by Cadvan, Oct 22, 2013
  12. lurkftw

lurkftw Loaded Pockets

What about the PHX Pen? It's a little bit higher than your budget but still less than the Render K.

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Actually, I just found that myself: bigidesign.com/welcome/phx-pen-2/

14. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

the phx looks nice, but I love the look of the function even more and it'd the one I'll be ordering tonight

~Boondock Saints

15. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

There's the Jinhao X750 rollerball. I have the fountain pen version and it's a hefty pen. Capped, I think it'd make a good blunt kubotan. It'll cost around $10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. Cadvan

Cadvan Loaded Pockets

that jinhao looks nice. I put in a pledge for a black function pen already though

~Boondock Saints

17. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Loaded Pockets

It would be worth looking in the "pens & writing instruments" section. There are a number of tactical pen suppliers- Schrade, Uzi, S&W, 4 sevens etc etc. I'm currently looking for a schrade tactical pen/fountain pen. They have good reviews.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Sharpie marker just feels too light to be effective for use as anything other than a good-looking marker.

19. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The already (at least implicitly) mentioned Foursevens ti pen is really plain looking, but they call it tactical and it’s too expensive for your budget. The bottom end is exchangeable: glass breaker (included), lanyard hole, striking crown, cap holder ($15 extra each). It uses Fisher refills. I know it only from pictures, but you could try to search if somebody here has it.

20. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Sheaffer Agio is surprisingly sturdy --- I'd still be using mine if the section hadn't worn to the point the cap wouldn't stay on.