1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical pen question

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by bryan123, Sep 20, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I've read a few threads about using readily available stainless steel pens like the Parker Jotter and Zebra F701 as discrete tactical pens. These are pushbuttons and I would have thought that a tactical pen should have a smooth and flat top for the thumb to provide support during a strike. If you push your thumb on the top of these pens, the point is deployed, or is that the idea?

I have a stainless Parker Insignia similar in size to the Jotter, but it's a twisty so the top is flat so that the thumb can provide support without deploying the pen point. . Does this make for a better discrete tactical pen? Thanks

2. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

As long as the connection between the two halves of the pen is solid, I wouldn't see a problem with it.

For what it's worth.... My surefire pen has been through security, on planes, in county and federal courthouses and has never raised an eyebrow.

People do say something when it falls from my pocket and smacks a marble floor with authority.

bryan123 likes this.
  3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I checked out the Surefire pens on their website. They have pushbutton click tops. Are you able to use it to strike without pushing the button and deploying the pen point?

Thanks

4. callforfire
    • The Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

This question is one that I once had, ages ago when I was looking at such pens. Then it occurred to me if I'm in such a bad way that I have to use a pen, what difference does it make if it's retracted or not? Having said that, I'd still prefer that it stay retracted. Wanting to preserve my cartridge? Just plain OCD? I try not to think about it too much.

5. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I've got the EWP-01. It's a twisty and someone on the forum did a very thorough review, which is the reason I bought it. I love it... You can strike things while the refill is retracted or not. The tip of the pen is steel, the top of the pen has a steel ball bearing, used for breaking glass. I have used it to break glass, (nothing automotive), and it works well.

The best part of the pen is that it will accept nearly all ball point or rollerball refills.

It is slightly top heavy in the hand, but an otherwise solid pen. No regrets at all in the last 5 years. Well.. I do regret letting my wife run it through the washer and dryer.

bryan123 likes this.
  6. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I second or I guess third any of the Surefire pens. I have the EWP-01, -02 and -03 and love all three (I'm kind of a pen :censored:). They are nice heavy pens that look just as good clipped in a dress shirt pocket as they do clipped to a jeans pocket. The biggest thing about the Surefire pens is, they doesn't scream, "tactical pen!"

7. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

I carry a Tuffwriter clicky pen.. Have a google of it, or look at some reviews on youtube.

It's a phenomenal piece of kit. So much strength and durability and very much like the surefire version, you rarely get any second glances unlike some of the obvious 'tactical' types of pen made by firearm manufacturers.