1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

tactical pants?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by julioroman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

2. outnback

outnback Loaded Pockets

I have a few pair of Blackhawk pants. They are holding up great. The Khaki color ones blend in nice with a polo shirt and the elastic in the waistband is nice for IWB carry with my Glock 27.

3. wundergeist

wundergeist Loaded Pockets

Just for fun, I made an infograph of my cargo/tactical pants:

[​IMG]

(It was for a blog on why I don't wear jeans: I prefer tactical pants.)

JCS

4. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I recently added a few brands to the dresser. Now I have Carharrt, Duluth, Woolrich Elite, and Ironclad.

The best in my mind is Duluth dungarees/carpenters, as you get subtle looks with lots pockets, yet very little protruding bulk to catch on things. Some comments on Carharts in that cut, but less useful thigh pockets and slightly lesser fabric.

The ironclads were cheap nylon, but are wearing nicely, without the billowyness typical of synthetics.

The woolrich are comfortable, but hideous. The back/front double pocket detail is awful. The fit is "full diaper", and I am one who likes a loose seat and thigh. Overall the functionality is poor with pocket clips, due to the angles of the pockets.

5. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Cool, nice graphical and gradient! I didn't know the Strykes were more "tactical."

I'm liking the 5.11 canvas tacticals, and the taclites. Only wore them a week though so time will tell on durability in my situation.

But I definitely hope this thread continues on with people's great input on use and wear. I only started wearing cargo pants on a regular basis about a year and a half ago, because Old Navy had a sale on some cargoes (which ironically has the best pocket situation I have seen yet - two cargoes, and two small pockets on top of each cargo pocket).

I used to shy away from spending more than $20 on pants, but have realized how important a good pair of pants are for EDC! And to think, I've been an EDC'er for 8+ years.

And moreover, the 5.11s' wide belt loops keeps my pants from sagging between loops, which would make for a strange fit.

Finally, the synthetic material of the Taclites is awesome. I used to wear the canvas Old Navy cargoes in 110 degree Texas heat and it would be painful sometimes. Looking forward to wearing these in the summer!

6. bp.

bp. Loaded Pockets

Personally im a huge fan of Arc'teryx and so i would suggest the Raider pant - failing that the TAD Legionnaire is a second best.

7. Dinh Phu

Dinh Phu Loaded Pockets

Anyone know tactical pants with 100% polyester or nylon ? I like tactical pants but they usually have cotton in the fabric.

8. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Checked out those pants - looks pretty nice. Also looks about 3x the price of my 5.11's =D

9. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

I haven't seen any, but there might be. Have you ever worn the cotton/poly blend pants? They dry pretty quick and actually don't shrink much, if at all.

I think 100% polyester pants might end up being pretty noisy, and even a little uncomfortable. The cotton in the blend serves to help draw up the moisture from your skin, and the poly helps disperse it, I believe.

10. Forbes/hutton

Forbes/hutton Loaded Pockets

5.11 used to make their pants in 100% nylon before the tac-lites. They show up on ebay from time to time.

Misty Mountain has a line of "adventure" pants in 100% "Quik-dry" nylon.

11. JMS42687

JMS42687 Loaded Pockets

If you do end up going with Blackhawks be sure to order at least 1 or 2 sizes larger than your normal pants. I have found that my Blackhawks are significantly smaller in terms of waist sizing than most other pants. The elastic waist is nice but it isn't the solution if the pants are too tight. I've read a lot of reviews and other people have had the same problem. It was a major disappointment the first time I got them, I had new Blackhawk Weather Warrior boots and pants shipped out only to find they both were sized small. YMMV

12. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

Not sure of your definition of tactical, but the REI Sahara pants, which I have a couple of pairs, are listed on their site as "nylon/nylon blend".

http://www.rei.com/product/794404/rei-sahara-cargo-pants-mens-30-inseam

13. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I don't know of any but the reason I prefer cotton is that polyester and nylon can melt when they get near a fire. Cotton might burn but it won't melt to your skin before you can put it out or get away from the flame.

14. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if anyone else is a student, or perhaps wears these this type of pant and sits in view of others at some point during the day...
    But both brands of the "tactical" pants I wear (Propper's "Lightweight Tactical Pants" & Tru Spec's "24/7 Pants") bulge out extraordinarily in the phallus area when I sit. For whatever reason, I do not experience this issue with dress pants or jeans. Only seems to be "tactical pants". Not sure if it is the material or the method of manufacture. Both pants are made of the Poly/Cotton RipStop stuff.

I've managed to deal with this "Why does that guy always have an erection?" issue for the past three years by just wearing a larger shirt or sweater to cover my phallus region, but it is becoming annoying to be honest. To have to cover myself inconspicuously or screw around trying to bend the bulging flap of material every time I sit down in view of others is becoming a chore. I wear the appropriate size pant, so it's not as if I'm wearing pants which are too large or small, therefore creating the sitting bulge.

Observations? Anyone else experience this?

15. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

I used to change into blue jeans after work but now I'm addicted to triple stitched ripstop pants they are more comfortable than blue jeans and more durable to me so thats all I wear now and I don't change when I get home, tad, exofficio, carhart, I want to try the others but my pants don't wear out often

one genuine difference in "tactical"pants is if you need the large tactical belt for a gun or other heavy gear, many normal pants just won't fit those belts, it can be misused as a marketing term but some pants have actual purpose in mind

16. Moxnil

Moxnil Loaded Pockets

Is there much difference between the 5.11 tactical trousers, and the taclite?

17. gtmule

gtmule Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the LAPG Operator Pants. The only pants more comfortable are shorts. Leg pockets stay flat when empty, upper thigh pockets are handy for a small flashlight or thin phone. The price can't be beat.

18. shooter-medic

shooter-medic Loaded Pockets

I'm wearing the LAPolice Gear pants now. Fit is good and they're comfortable.

In the market for something new though, either 5.11 Taclite, Vertx or Woolwrich.

How do the different brands fit? I like the LAPG because I bought them big and cinched them down. I tried the Blackhawk pants and they were way too small for their size. Would like to NOT have to return them after them sending me a wrong fit.

I normally wear a 30-32 Dockers.

BTW, I carry just about everywhere I go and with being on call for the squad, I normally wear my LAPG 3-4 days a week when I'm not flying.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Jim

19. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

jim if you try vertx pants order one size bigger in the waist and the lenght you normally wear. i am a 34w/32L i order 36x32
    warning once you have vertx pants you wont want to wear any other pants i have 6 pairs now and wear then daily

20. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

The tactical trousers are a 100% cotton fabric and the Taclites are a nylon/cotton ripstop blend. Also the taclites have a 'liner' cargo pocket that will work to catch any hook-side velcroed items you store in them, which is sometimes handy. Also the taclites come with a 'blousing' nylon webbing strap sewn into the bottom of each pant leg, and the tacticals have the holes but you'd need to add the string to blouse them. The taclites are also a bit cooler to wear as the fabric is a little lighter weight. The pattern for the two is basically the same, though.