1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical, Non-tactical Shoe Challenge

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Mudinyeri, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

They're like bedroom slippers for outside your home. :D

2. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm not into slip-ons so I'm no help there. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so I tend to I shop at Payless. I work at a school, so I need my shoes to be comfortable, allow me to run when necessary, and still look like a nice dress shoe. The shoe I wear is by SafeTstep and they call it a comfort oxford. All of SafeTstep's shoes have a complicated slip-resistant tread which works really well unless you're walking on dirt or mud, and then it gets stuck in the tread and is difficult to get out. Other than the tread, it's a decent shoe for a fairly decent price. It looks nice, but has the performance I need to get through a 6 hour day of following kids around a school.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

There was a time not so long ago, ahem, 15 years, when a denim shirt and khakis were my favorite thing to wear - with boots!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mudinyeri likes this.
  5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

So ... you're saying I'm only 15 years behind the times? I dunno. I see a lot of these hipster kids wearing denim shirts and logger boots. :D

sungame likes this.
  6. ArkansasFan30

Hipsters are just copy cat who don't want to look like they're trying to be copy cats.

7. Journo
    • +1 Supporter

Journo Loaded Pockets

I would avoid Sketchers, they have a great look but I have had three pairs now and I find that the soles seem to collapse in on themselves and become very uncomfortable.

Timberland used to be a great brand but they have become a bit "fashiony" recently. I am currently looking at a pair of Dr Martens, they have the comfort and a huge range of styles!

sungame and Mudinyeri like this.
  8. ArkansasFan30

I've got some Sketchers! Super light and comfortable casual shoe. Sole has worn down VERY quickly.

Journo and Mudinyeri like this.
  9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Interesting thoughts on the Skechers. My mate walks about 16k to 20k steps a day and they seem to last ok. It is indoors only in the main if that makes a difference.

10. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I had a pair of doc marts and after 3 years of trying to get them to bed in, I gave up ;) although they were safety boots. The pair I had s a teenager bedded in quick - I wore them to death!

Journo and Mudinyeri like this.
  11. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I was also going to say "Redbacks" Very comfortable shoes for most uses. I do not recommend them for any type of "hiking" I wore them on a ~hr long walk up and down rolling (some steep) hills once and it was murder on the toes...being slip on shoes you do move around in them some. For street use they are great.
    If the style appeals to you they are very comfortable, and good for a lot of different uses, just avoid the hiking.
    Found mine in the $80 range, (new) from ebay...direct from the land down under.

Another one, but lace up, is what I wear most of the time, Lems boulder boots. While I think they are stylish...I probably don't have the best taste. My only complaint is the boot version takes effort to put on or off...its not something to slip into or out of fast...maybe go with the shoe version first to see if the zero rise concept works for you?

Mudinyeri likes this.
  12. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I usually wear Merrell's off duty. The reason I bought them was because of the water resistance. They are such nice shoes, someone stole a pair off my front porch :(

Gary Gross and Mudinyeri like this.
  13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Mudinyeri likes this.
  14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

In my book, slip on shoes are a no-go for anything business related, even though the most formal environments I've ever worked in could only be described as business casual - and in Norway at that. Slip ons are just a bit too casual for me - but then, I never wear polo shirts either.

Unless you will be standing a lot on hard concrete floors, I second @groovster 's Dr. Martens suggestion. Dr. Martens 1461s have been my go-to shoes since 1998. While the quality is not quite the same these days as it was when they were all made in England, they are still solid, well made shoes that can be dressed up or down easily. Once they are broken in, they are also quite comfortable, unless you spend a lot of time standing still on hard surfaces. While they are wonderful for walking on everything from tarmac and gravel to dirt and rocks, they tend to be a bit uncomfortable after the fifth day or so of standing on hard floors (classrooms, auditoriums and such). They are also dangerously slippy on snow and ice, if you encounter a lot of that stuff.

I recommend that you try to find a pair in something other than the standard smooth black leather. While this looks great when new, it tends to crack up a bit after a couple of years. Look for either the forlife version, or something in carpathian or crazy horse leather. I just bought a pair of the latter in brown, and they look great. Thick, yet soft leather that should age beautifully. Another alternative is the made in England version, which are supposed to last longer than the regular Vietnam/Thailand made shoes.

It seems from your picture that just about any iteration of the 1461 would work with your style. However, if you want to be able to wear the shoes with dressier clothes, it could be a good idea to get a pair without the iconic yellow welt stitch, as this may act as a sort of red flag for certain conservatives due to the brand's punk/rebel connotations.

[​IMG]
    drmartens
    on Flickr.

These are my first pair of 1461s after 13 years of wear. I'll see if I can find the time to snap a decent photo of the new ones.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  15. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Picked up a pair of Tom's brogues.

[​IMG]

16. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Clarks Bushacre
    Its a chuka boot that works casually or dressed up a tad

Mudinyeri likes this.
  17. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

To add, what I like about the Bushacre over the Desert boot (which Im wearing today) is the soles.
    The desert boot has a rugged, all terrain sort of sole which looks a bit out of place in some office situations.
    But the Bushacre is a nice, thin, flat, but grippy, sole. It doesnt increase your height by an inch like the Desert Boot counter-part.

Both of them are designed the same minus the soles and come in a variety of colors and leathers.

I like the Beeswax on my Bush a lot. My deserts have a more slick look which doesnt 'wear' or 'patina' as well as the others. But they both have their place in my rotation

Today is raining a lot, with some snow and sleet mixed in, and I went Desert for the better soles and getting myself a little higher up should I step in a water puddle.