1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical Messenger Shootout- Jumbo vs MOBIUS vs UTG; incl. individual reviews

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by T.H.Cone, Dec 20, 2013.

?

What's the best value in Tactical messenger bags?

1. Maxpedition Jumbo

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Vanquest MOBIUS

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. UTG Multi-Functional Tactical Messenger

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Other

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

It's no secret that while not totally enamored with this type of bag as a one and only bag, I have carried one daily for over five years and continue to do so.

The two Jumbos I own have served me well, but I was curious as to how close a resemblance there was between the Maxp and Vanquest versions, not to mention how well the UTG Jumbo clone would fair when compared to the other two.

While we all use our bags a little differently, for the sake of this shootout, I'll be using the load I normally carry as the standard.

[​IMG]

All this stuff and maybe a few more items are what is lugged around in the bag by me. Weight is generally between 12 and 14 pounds. I personally think this is really too much weight and overpowers the single strap concept. I keep doing it because it is a convenient sized bag for EDC.

My other Jumbo is used for a non EDC purpose and carries five or six pounds of gear. This style of bag is much more comfortable when the load is small.

What follows are three individual reviews in their own posts and one comparison post.

This thread is a work in progress and while probably never complete, it should be mostly up and together by the end of next week. Your patience is appreciated. Truth be told, I only got a quick look at the UTG before the wife Santa took it to be wrapped.

As always, your thoughts, opinions, and comments are as much a part of the review as anything I'm about to say, so feel free to tell me where I've gotten it all wrong.

Later edit- For you lovers of video, I got a camcorder for Christmas and have been messing around with it. Here's a look at a typical load in my UTG Jumbo clone. Be forewarned, I'm not a natural on camera, so...

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Feb 3, 2014
  2. T.H.Cone

Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak review-

This Jumbo is the khaki/foliage variant and was purchased, best I can remember in late summer or early fall of 2008, so it is going into its sixth year or service. It has been a literal EDC bag nearly all that time.

I had intended to use it for light day hiking, but the bag never really worked well in that role, especially loaded such as it is. My other Jumbo has about half as much stuff in it as it fulfills another role entirely and, as such, is much nicer to carry in terms of comfort.

[​IMG]

This bag used to have a velcro belt loop at twelve o'clock which was designed to stabilize the bag. I cut it off. If you are confused about what I'm talking about, you can see it in the UTG review two posts down from here. It is in the same position as the one that used to be on the Jumbo and will suffer the same fate.

Anyway, I never found the bet loop necessary and it would abrade whatever clothing was under it. It would really tear up fleece.

[​IMG]

The only real wear issue on this bag is pictured below. It is at the seven o'clock position as you look at the back of the bag. It has been like that for almost the whole time I've owned the bag. I can't remember when I first discover it, It may even have been like that since day one, but it hasn't affected the performance of the bag as of yet. The hole opens up to the sleeve pocket in the main compartment. I keep a chest seal in there, so nothing has ever fallen out of the dime sized hole. Someday I'll sew it up.

My other bag has about 25% of the use and shows no real signs of wear.

[​IMG]

A more detailed description of what goes in what pocket can be found here. I didn't want to bore y'all again with that. Some more pictures too.

The Jumbo offers a fair amount of organization without going crazy with Admin. Honestly, if it had anymore organization, it would be wasted on me.

The second one I own is an OD GEN 2 Jumbo used for specific outings and doesn't get used everyday.

[​IMG]

I put all the factory stuff on there for the picture, but like I said, I don't use the shoulder strap pad or the waist strap. I am seriously considering cutting of the handle too. I never use it and it can interfere with getting in the CCW pocket.

[​IMG]

The one thing the GEN 2 Jumbo has over all the other bags in this shootout is that its CCW pocket is essentially fully lined with loop velcro, whereas all the others have two, two inch strips.

[​IMG]

So, other than the extra velcro in the CCW pocket, the other main differences with the newer Jumbo are the addition of the carry handle and a wrap around waist strap instead of the velcro belt loop that was on the original versions of the bag.
    Of course, the differences between the two are only important if you are buying used.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Jan 8, 2014
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. T.H.Cone

Vanquest MOBIUS review-

This foliage MOBIUS is about a week old. I've been carrying it about eighty minutes a day on a snow covered rail trail (the three miles would normally take less than sixty) and it has been out running errands on a couple of occasions. It seems to blend in pretty well when out in public. At least as good as my normal Jumbo and probably more so than my OD one; people tend to look at that one for whatever reason.

My plan is to carry it until Christmas then switch to the UTG. Why not longer? Well, it is clear that it is a well made bag and I can already tell what is working for me and what isn't. The bags will still get used, just not as my EDC. At least not until the UTG test is over.

I'll say upfront that I'm a little disappointed that Vanquest only made minor changes to the design, especially when I think that the changes that were made were made for the sake of saying changes were made. I personally think that the changes to the Jumbo platform actually take a little something away from this bag. I'll explain as I go on.

The side and top pockets are a little bit bigger on the MOBIUS and there is a second slip pocket on the inside of the side pocket. There happens to be a 2 x 3 inch piece of loop velcro at the bottom of the main pocket (in side) that seems to serve no purpose. If I had to guess, I'd say that Vanquest will be coming out with a removable organizer similar to what they have for the Envoy that will be held in place with the velcro.

Another positive change has been the addition of two loops of elastic banding on the top of the top pocket. A Sharpie or penlight would go nicely there, I imagine.

Here's a shot of the bag loaded with all the stuff I carry with the exception of my ESEE 3. There just doesn't appear to be a convent place for it. It used to ride in the side slip pocket with the EMT shears, but this bag has been "improved" and now that's not an option. I'm going to try carrying it on the backside of the water pocket behind the straps.

Also, because of how loose the EMT shears are in the relocated slip pocket, I'll have to find them a new home as well; dedicated sheath, most likely.

[​IMG]

Not shown in the picture below is the waist strap. I've never wanted or needed it on my GEN2 Jumbo, and I don't imagine I'll find I need it now. There is a nice grab handle, but I can foresee the need to cut the waist strap anchor points and the grab handle off the back of the bag if they start to abrade my clothing or my body.

You'll note that it doesn't have islands of air mesh used in a stand off capacity to allow ventilation. That's a feature on the Jumbo that is unnecessary; I don't think that stuff really works well, if at all, on such a small bag.

[​IMG]

The Water bottle pouch will hold all the usual stuff. I don't think Vanquest's system of stowing the empty pocket is as elegant as MAXp's; the top doesn't lie flat and there are loose straps just hanging in the middle of nowhere. The word "hokey" comes to mind. I always carry a water bottle, so, for me at least, that's a non issue as I'm not gong to run the H2O pocket compressed.

On the plus side, they use shock cord around the top of the bottle pocket rather than the paracord on the Jumbo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This modern interpretation of a D-ring is another change that I think falls short of the utility of the Jumbo's H&K style clip. Most things you would want to attach to this will not lay flat against the strap. Imagine a standard sized carabiner hanging off that. Even if that is not a big deal to you, you still need a secondary attachment device to get a keyring on it. Again, not a big deal, just a little bit of a miss.

[​IMG]

While the Jumbos don't always lie completely flat against the body, the MOBIUS' gap is more pronounced. I suspect it is because it hasn't really broken it yet.

[​IMG]

Vanquest moved the rectangular slip pocket from behind the front side pocket on the Jumbo to the base of the front strap. It is now more of a triangle which I find less useful. It doesn't hold as much stiff or the stuff as securely.

Also, there is a lot of exposed stitching in the top left corner of the pocket as seen in the picture below. In fact, that whole seam is exposed and un-banded in that triangular pocket.

[​IMG]

The way the zipper pulls are formed into a semi ridged loop, and the fact that there are so many of them located in this one area, really make drawing a side arm from the bag a tricky proposition. Ideally, the top pocket's zipper should be on the other side.

Also, I think the two way zipper is over kill and unnecessary on the CCW pouch. If you were to CCW out of this bag, you only need one zipper to open the CCW pocket from front to back. I'm going to probably break that front zipper off. Adding a carabiner or something to the remaining CCW pocket's zipper pull would likely help quick access as well.

As it is right now, it's a mess. Although it was designed to CCW, it was not designed by a CCW, if you know what I mean.

[​IMG]

I did have one zipper pul on the is bag came undone, as well as three others on my Vanquest Javelin. I took the time to retie all the zipper plus with a simple overhand knot so that mimic the Jumbos' pulls.

Also, the total length of the MOBIUS' shoulder strap is almost a foot shorter than the straps on the other bags. I have it totally let out and it is just barely rides low enough for me. Since I'm only 5-9" on a good day, I think anyone much taller will not be happy with the length of the strap.

This is a well made bag that I'm sure will provide years of service. I could happily live with it as an alternative to the Jumbo. It's about $20 less than the Jumbo, so perhaps it represents a better value. It has some idiosyncrasies compared to what I'm most familiar with, but none them are deal killers. I'm sure I could adjust.

I should mention that if you were blindfolded, you couldn't tell which one you were wearing based on carry comfort. That should't be a surprise.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 10, 2014
  4. T.H.Cone

UTG Multi-Functional Tactical Messenger review-

[​IMG]

It is basically an exact clone of the GEN1 Jumbo. The layout is exactly the same. However, the quality of the materials- the nylon, the buckles, the zippers, and the mesh- are not up to the standard of the other bags. On the plus side, everything is color matched, which isn't always done, even on expensive MAXp stuff, as my OD Jumbo has black zippers and hardware.

[​IMG]

The zippers have metal pulls instead of 550 cord. There are pockets on the bag that have duel zippers and this allows the zippers to jingle against each other. I can see already that I will have to cut the metal pulls off and replace them with Paracord.

[​IMG]

Also, the UTG bag lacks a handle. I personally don't miss it. It also forgoes the waist strap in favor of the belt attachment. Just like on my original Jumbo, this has already been cut off.

[​IMG]

The interior mesh organization pockets are just little squares of material that are sewn in. They are not integrated in the sense that they go from side to side as in the other bags. They are more of an afterthought and almost look unfinished. You can also see that the nylon is PVC coated. This coating has caused some unexpected issues that may or may not be a big deal to the end user. More on that in a minute.

[​IMG]

Since the bag itself appears to be made with some sort of PVC coated nylon, hopefully it is water resistant, which would make it the equal of the others in that regard. The downside is that the coating is, for lack of a better phrase, high traction. This is especially problematic in the in the water bottle pocket. For starters, it just barely fits a 32 oz. Nalgene. Given the friction that the coating adds to the equation, it is fairly hard to get the bottle in the pocket. Honestly, it is a struggle. It comes out fine, though, so, you know, there's that.

[​IMG]

For me, not a huge issue, because I mostly run Kleen Kanteens these days. YMMV.

When set next to any of the other bags, the UTG has a cheap look. No doubt about it. That said, overall, the stitching and build quality seem pretty durable, if not exactly pleasing to look at. If it is all alone, and you are not a bag snob, it doesn't really shout "cheap bag."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One could even argue that there are some sewing oops, as seen below.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the biggest issue may be that the CCW pocket's zipper. It closes fine when the bag is off body, but, while wearing it, it gets caught up on the on the nylon with about an inch to go.

[​IMG]

When you consider that this UTG bag is a third the cost of the others, it begs the question of which one is a better value?

Which brings me to this- An honest review of this bag will have to wait. While I am sure the MOBIUS is the equal of the Jumbo in terms of quality (especially since I think there is more between the two companies than we are being told), this UTG really needs some time to prove itself.

My plan is to use this in the same way I've been using the Jumbo all these years. In a few months it should be pretty clear if the UTG is a true budget contender or a waste of money. The heavy load and the constant usage will tell the tale, no doubt.

Stay tuned.

Or not.

Later edit- Here is a video of about the mods I made to this bag.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 10, 2014
  5. T.H.Cone

The Shootout!

Probably not going to be that exciting.

All the bags are right side carry. I am right handed. Besides the obvious reason to use a right side bag, I have on occasion worn the bags while operating a vehicle. Because these sit on the right side, it means that the bag will rest comfortably on the bench seat or console. I don't encourage anyone to do this. I'm merely stating that I have. I find it especially useful while off road in a side-by-side.

I never use the waist strap or the belt attachment. One or the other came on every bag. They are billed as aiding in stabilization, and though I suppose they can do that, they also take away the one real advantage these bags have over a daypack- the ability to get the bag into your work space while on the move.

With or without the waist strap or belt attachment, none of them are fun to jog across an intersection with.

I also never use the padded shoulder strap attachment. Again, every bag came with one. It creates more discomfort than it eliminates. I found that it tends to dig into my neck. Like everything else, YMMV. I will say that the one off the UTG bag is the interpretation of the group. As with the air mesh islands on the back of the bag, I think the padded shoulder strap is simply style over substance.

Between the Maxpedition and Vanquest bags specifically, there has been a lot of discussion that one is better made than the other. I have six MAXp and three Vanquest products and you can argue all day long how much better this or that specification is over another, but none of the stuff I own from either company is anything less than overbuilt.

Moreover, while there are minor differences in the product line, they really don't amount to much in my opinion. Bag verses bag, it would be hard to articulate why one is significantly better than the other. You certainly can't make the case based on build quality or materials and keep a straight face.

If choosing between the two, it would really come down to something minor like pocket placement or how important you feel an orange interior is. You're really starting to nitpick at this point. BTW, there is really very little orange inside the MOBIUS. I personally don't think it helps that much in such a small bag and don't miss it.

Of course, some of us no longer wish to buy from Maxpedition because of what we believe went on here in years gone by. I sort of fall into this camp. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that I'm not actually purchasing from MAXp when I buy from Vanquest; but I'll leave that debate for another time.

All other things being equal, between the Jumbo and MOBIUS, it is basically a tie.

Because I am so use to running two bags with pockets and features in the same place, I am probably a bit biased just because of habit. I think the moving of the Jumbo's slip pocket from between the side pocket and the main bag to where it is on the MOBIUS takes some utility and usefulness away from the Vanquest bag. The MOBIUS version just isn't as secure. In fact, I consider it unusable.

Now, not everybody is going to want or need to jam a small fixed blade knife and EMT shears into that pocket, but for me, it is the one big issue I have with the MOBIUS.

The other area where the MOBIUS falls a little short is in having so many zippers terminate at the front of the CCW pocket. The train wreck there is compounded by the extra zipper on the CCW pocket and the round zipper pulls everywhere.

Again, very few users of these bags are going to carry this way, but since the pocket, and indeed the bag, are designed for CCW, I think you have to take some points away from Vanquest.

In comparison, the Jumbo's top pocket zipper is on the other side when closed and the CCW pocket only has one zipper. So too is the UTG's.

I also think Vanquest went out of their way to change the water bottle and gained nothing. It works just the same. There is no innovation there. Less would have been more with this pocket. Of course, putting the bottle in the pocket is effortless, so it beats the UTG hands down here.

Since I just touched on "innovation", the part that disappoints me the most is that while the MOBIUS is a hardy and attractive bag, I was really hoping for something more than the fraternal twin of the Jumbo.

The MOBIUS does add slip pockets and duel zippers in places where the Jumbo doesn't. It also used the solid orange nylon for the interior slip pockets where as the Jumbo has mesh. Six of one, half dozen of another.

Vanquest also moves the key keeper in the front zippered pocket closer to the right side of the bag giving you easier access to your keys if you keep them in there. Speaking of keys. Over the years, many people complained that the hook on the bottom of the rear portion of the shoulder strap was in the wrong spot. Vanquest fixes that by making it a D-ring. I guess they don't want you to keep your keys on the outside of the bag. I just use that anchor point to tether a small flashlight that then rides behind the MOLLE in the "secret sleeve."

Like I said earlier, you ultimately gain nothing by choosing one bag over the other. Well, you can potential save $20 if you pay full MSRP and I guess that's something.

The UTG is essential just a cheap Jumbo, so all those things I said about the Jumbo will apply to it. The issue here is one of quality and durability. Only time will tell on that score. Other than pride of ownership, bragging right, if you will, the UTG bag seems to be as functional as the other too. If it doesn't fall apart with use, it might be a viable choice for anyone on a budget.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 25, 2013
    Cobra 6 Actual and Wishoot like this.
  6. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Should we start now or wait for the reviews???

:rofl:

I kid, I kid...

Looking forward to it.

Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. glockguy110

glockguy110 Loaded Pockets

I myself carry the jumbo Versipack and just last night looking at the vanquest you did kinda make me 'rethink some things do you think say the maxpedition pocket extension fit with the vanquest buckle ?

8. T.H.Cone

GlockGuy, the male part of the MOBIUS SRB is the same thickness as the one on the Jumbo and only 1/8" wider, so I imagine that unless it is really a super tight fit, whatever will go over the one will go over the other.

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Nicely done. I had a hard time following some parts (in combination with the pics) but overall the reviews are good and you got your points across.

In general, I'm not a huge Maxpedition fan, but I've had the EDC version of the Jumbo for a few years now and IMHO it's still the standard in the category. A close second would be the Hazard 4 Kato, which the OP didn't review.

UTG is a very popular alternative, but I constantly warn others here about going cheap on their gear. You generally get what you pay for, receive nothing at resell (if you decide to try other kit), and you ultimately still end up wanting and purchasing the more expensive bag anyway. So save up and don't throw your money away people! ;)

Vanquest is a sponsor here so I'm going to tread carefully, but unlike their excellent clone of the Sitka, the MOBIUS does look like a miss and a bit of a hot mess. I applaud the attempt to approve upon the original but sometimes a design just doesn't come together like intended and that certainly seems to be the case with the MOBIUS.

Cobra 6 Actual, zenpunk and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. T.H.Cone

Thanks, TARFU. As a master of the genre, I appreciate your critical eye. Where was it messed up and unclear? If a bag expert got lost in the maze of my grand vision, I can only imagine how everyone else fared.

As to your other points, I agree that the Jumbo is the yard stick for these bags. For sure there are other bags, like the Hazard bag you mentioned, that are the equal of the Jumbo in terms of practicality and build quality. That said, these three specific bags are so close in terms of design that I thought it would be a unique opportunity to date triplets, figuratively, of course.;)

As for budget gear, I do own some in all the categories I use For the most part, none of it is very satisfying to carry. With the possible exception of budget flashlights, most budget gear performs unsatisfactorily for me. Especially knives. So I am very skeptical that this UTG bag will perform well. Though if it does, perhaps some of us, myself included, will have to open our minds to other possibilities.

I will say that I carried the UTG fully loaded for three miles yesterday and another five today. Well, I really only carried three today as well, because my wife had to carry it the other two miles back to the house because someone was being a cry baby. What? My back was killing me! Let's just say the bag did eight miles so far, and leave it at that.

She did confirm that the zipper pulls are very loud, so they will be getting cut off of sure.

With regard to Vanquest, I really want to sing their praises. I mean, they clearly know how to put together a well made bag, but the sense of déjà vu is very palpable with these bags and I can't help but be a little disappointed. It seems to me that they are trying to reinvent the wheel by tinkering on the margins and I'm not sure you can build a reputation on craftsmanship alone if innovation is lacking.

Cobra 6 Actual, Wishoot and Lou_G like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

Just a little update. Except for a couple of the very, very cold days around here, the UTG is doing fine after two weeks of service.

I did notice that I can't quite get all of my normal load in there. I don't know if it is an actual total volume issue or if the abbreviated mess pockets are to blame, but I've slimmed the load a little.

Also, the pocket where I normally carry the Esse and the EMT shears has trouble handling both at the same time some I forgo the shears. At some point, I will treat self to a MSM shear pouch to rectify the problem.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I got a video camera for Christmas and I've been messing around with it on my walks. THe UTG can be seen in some of the footage, buy I haven't really figured out the iMovie editing and YT uploading thing quite yet and I won't subject any of y'all to that train wreck until I get it sorted out.

Cobra 6 Actual and Wishoot like this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Thank you for these reviews. I was contemplating all of these bags but ultimately settled on the very same UTG you have pictured. I have yet to put it through it's paces yet however. Really, I went the inexpensive route just to see if I even like a sling bag for EDC and light hiking.

Please keep us posted on how these bags perform and hold up.

13. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You mentioned the UTG bag's coating is more "high traction" when talking about the water bottle pocket... is the pocket any smaller than the Jumbo?
    I ask because I've used my Jumbo as a DSLR camera bag and my zoom lens fits nicely in that pocket. I've thought about buying another bag for my camera kit, but if the water bottle pocket is that much smaller it wouldn't be worth it.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  14. T.H.Cone

CSM, it is just the tiniest bit smaller. A 32 oz. Nalgeen bottle will first in both, but there is just a tiny bit of wiggle room with the Jumbo. More so than the size, that PVC coating causes most of the issues, such as they are, with the H2O pocket. Unless the zoom lens is a tight fit in the Jumbo, I imagine that it would go in the UTG no problem.

Cobra 6 Actual and CSM-101 like this.
  15. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

Just a quick thought: Could it be that Vanquest has the double zipper configuration in the photo above because it allows the carrier to lock the CCW compartment? I believe this sort of configuration is required in some states (Illinois perhaps? I am guessing here.)

16. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

still tempted by the UTG *sigh*

17. T.H.Cone

I don't know, maybe, but I don't think those guys think stuff like that all the way through.

Why would I conclude such a thing? Well, my Javelin's CCW pocket is also the H2O bladder pocket, thus forcing you to choose one or the other purpose. That's not a feature someone who was into firearms/CCW would put into a product.

Moreover, if they designed it to lock, why would they not tout it as a feature of the bag in their literature? Plus, your "it needs to lock just in case it is used as a range bag in Illinois (or NJ for that matter)" theory doesn't explain why the top pocket's zipper couldn't terminate at the other end so at least you'd reduce the clutter by a third. I know the vast majority of people don't actually CCW out of a bag, but even if you were dealing with just the two pulls on the CCW zipper, you could easily grab the wrong one, slide the zipper, and still have a closed bag.

So, except for a range bag in a state that requires you to transport a firearm locked in a bag that is itself locked in the trunk (and the MOBIUS is an EDC bag, not a range bag, not that it couldn't do double duty), there is no reason to lock it. You certainly wouldn't want it locked while you were carrying it. And while you may not want someone to gain access to the gun while you were not wearing the bag, I think that the main thing you need to do when CCWing off body is to not leave the bag unattended.

Of course, that's just my take, I could be wrong. I am unaware of any other review that brings it up, so...

Since Vanquest is a member here, they could easily explain it if they choose to. This isn't the first time I've wondered aloud about one of their features on bags I own of their's and all I hear are crickets. I think it is the same reason certain politicians are not seen on certain networks.

But I digress.

I'm just a bag user, not a designer, but as it stands now, it takes some amount of time and conscious thought to get the correct zipper pull in your hand and open the CCW pocket before you can even think about starting your draw stroke. I'm guessing that that will not be time you can afford to waste in an emergency. CCW out of a bag is already considerably slower than most other methods. Why make it worse?

Honestly, it's only been three weeks, but so far so good. Well, except for the zipper pulls jiggling, but that is an easy fix.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Jul 23, 2015
    Cobra 6 Actual, Lou_G and BarksAtCats like this.
  18. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

Good points.

19. T.H.Cone

LOL, "good" might be overstating it. Let's just agree to call them points.:)

Cobra 6 Actual and BarksAtCats like this.
  20. T.H.Cone

So, while I'm out and about surfing the web, I see that Propper has come out with a bag called "OTS" that looks very much like... wait for it... the Jumbo.

But don't worry, like some others, Propper went the "value added" route by making some changes. For instance, the water bottle pocket is mesh. Yes, I said mesh. Wow! I know, I know, I can hardly contain my excitement too. That really adds something. MESH! I can't believe our good fortune. I feel like this is what we've all been waiting for in a small tacticool messenger bag.

When, oh, when will someone think of something new and innovative? Where are the thinkingoutsidetheboxdesigners? Where, I ask, where?

Or is this it? We've reached the pinnacle of bag design and now all we can do is copy one another in the race to the bottom in terms of cost over quality?

Well, I feel marginally better now.