1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Tactical" light level...hype or real value?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by subrosa, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Sure, I agree about the power of advertisement (I've actually ranted against it quite a bit here and on CPF), but

...who said I was afraid?
    :evilgrin:

2. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

Being prepared, proactive and situationally aware doesn't mean we are "ascribing to this culture of fear."

I don't know where you live, but I live in the suburbs and a 7-11 less then 2 miles away that my friends and family frequent was robbed by gang members with shotguns last week.

While the US isn't Afghanistan or Darfur it isn't Disneyland either. I have lived in NYC and Orlando, Florida. Plenty of crime and some violence in both those areas. Interesting enough, way more Police helicopters with searchlights looking for criminals in my apartment complex in Orlando than NYC. :) It wasn't a one time thing either, pretty much weekly. Many people I went to school with had their apartments broken into and were robbed, there was 1 home invasion that happened to students went to my school.

I doubt that people living in more dangerous places have time to laugh at me and my flashlight.

It is not a culture of fear, it is reality.

I don't think that people preparing for the chance to be a victim of crime are the ones making the world a less friendly place, I think that is on the criminals.

Is having a survival kit or first aid kit in your house or car living in fear? Why is thinking about self defense any different?

Mark

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Empty Pockets

I dont know if a light will help me in a dire situation. but better to have a flashlight taken away and used on me than a knife or a gun taken from me and used on me.

However, I do play a fierce game of airsoft haha. I have used my tacticool skills in CQB environments. the "tactical strobe" feature of my gladius does seem to work rather well and gaining a slight advantage. The set up is me with a gladius and a semi auto gas pistol. my opponents have AEG (automatic electric guns) full auto Mp5 and M4. of course this is only ONE example. where I am the seasoned veteran ( playing for nearly a decade) and the OPFOR is a bunch of teenagers. but after blinding them with the strobe and effectively taking them ou of the game, I asked how was it to be on the receiving end of the strobe. they could NOT see at all. even blindly firing was not effective. I used the SF Institute's notion of the FBI modified technique where, while searching, you move the light forward and away from your body so that in the case that the OPFOR shoots for the light, your body is not in the way.

It seemed to work for a simple airsoft game. now of course this is in no way condoning using a tactical light to save your life. this situation was controlled and 100% safe. but given that, i know that the strobe is difficult to deal with, from the receiving end.

4. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

I guess I just gotta laugh at the way some people take things. So, you have a light as a part of your self-defense toolbox. Thats good, it in no way means you are scared, paranoid or just some lunatic waiting for any excuse to konk some innocent person who gets to close. However, the ones who dont understand the concept have nothing better to do than suggest we "clutch our lights" apprently needlesly and buy into advertising and think the world is one great big conspiracy to attack us as we go out for milk at night. As stated above, these lights are good for cops who deal with bad guys.

Lets see, Im pretty sure we can also apply the same to guns, knives and OC spray. I mean, why do we need out 9mm 17-shot wundergun...they are for cops who deal with bad guys. What, do you think you are going to be in some shootout while going for milk at night? As a civilian, maybe if you need a gun, then you can easily get by with having a single shot .22 rifle at home...right? No reason to carry a gun outside the home, that makes you paranoid...right?

Well, lights are worthless because headlights on cars dont have any affect on us...of course, headlights are angled slightly down and generally not directly pointed at our eyes. Some night, go out and turn on your headlights, and place yourself so that they are directly in your eyes...then get back to me.

Look, if you dont understand the effectiveness of something, do a little research and practice and if you still think its worthless, fine. Believe it or not, some of us do take things seriously and do unserstand that some of these things work as PART of a self-defense system.

No, we dont all buy into advertising...nobody here is under the impression that we are going to take on some idiotic gang with out light...if thats what you think we are talking about, then you are missing the point.

Advertising is the same for all types of things we talk about here. Look at gun advertising. For effective self-defense, you obviously need a customized 1911, trigger job, match barrel, titanium hammer, checkering, laser site, polished surfaces, porting, full length guide rod and whatever else the 2000 dollars of work includes. Or, like most of us realize, a good quality our of the box-stock 1911 will be just fine.

As for cops being the ones who deal with bad guys? Ok, they do sometimes. But if you think civilian dont, then tell that to victims of car-jackings, murders, rapes and a multitude of other crimes against civilians. And dont take that as me thinking the world is a dangerous place and a bad guy is lurking around every corner. I personally like to go shopping with my wife or out to dinner. I am aware, but relaxed and able to have a great time. We have our "tools of self-defense" on us at all times, and amazingly enough we are NOT paranoid. We have not KO'd some poor slob who walked to close to us.

There are some members of these types of boards who will immediately ridicule those they dont agree with. A flashlight for defense? You must be a mall-ninja and fantasize about being in a situation where you can shine somebody!!! Well, you know what? If you are so opposed to items of self-defense, and if you think you are completely safe because the local LEO will deal with all the bad guys, then why are you even here?

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Friendly reminder:

Let's stick to the topic at hand and avoid a meta discussion (a discussion about the discussion).

Thanks.
    :pt:

6. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

Wow..Someone is a little sensitive about this subject. At no point did I say lights were worthles, you're taking things out of context and twisting my words. I still carry a flashlight wherever I go, but I dont' count on them to do anything more than lighting up something I want to see. I carry one just because I feel like carrying one, I don't feel the need to justify it to anyone else why I carry one. If I can use one for self defense, of course I'm going to use it, along with anything else in my pocket such as a pen, keys, lighter, loose change, etc, but that doesn't mean I think they're effective. It would just be out of sheer desperation at that point.

If you read the whole post, I have tried it out, and in my OPINION, a hand held flashlight wasn't anything more than a slight distraction to me. Like you said, if you don't understand the effectiveness, do your own test, which is exactly what I did. Just because I didn't have the same results as you does that mean my opnion is wrong? All I said was, in my PERSONAL experience, even a extremely powerful flashlight had very little effect, and until it's proved otherwise, I stand by my opinion. You can look at it from the other side of the coin. If an attacker is coming after you with a bright light, do you really think that's going to have much of an affect on you? Will you sit there and flail about because you're disoriented, or are you just going to take it as a minor distraction and fight back?

The point about car headlights was just to illustrate that we are constantly illuminated with much brighter lights everyday of our lives, and most people don't even react to it. It doesn't take much to have headlights pointed directly at you, a bump in the road, people with highbeams, crossing a street at the top of a hill, etc. Like I said, they are much brighter than any handheld light you are likely to encounter, and their effect is minimal. In fact, I was working on my car at night just a few weeks ago, I had my face about a foot in front of my headlights where I could feel the heat from the bulbs. It was annoying, but I needed the light reflecting off the garage door to see what I was doing. I could stand up and see just fine, it did affect my night vision, but not to a point where I coudln't see anything. Maybe if I was in a pitch black area and the lights were suddenly turned off, it could have been a problem, but even at night there is usually plenty of ambient light to where your eyes will never be fully adjusted anyway.

For anyone even remotely curious about this subject, they should try it out for themselves. You don't have to take anyone else's word on the matter, you can easily find out for yourself. It's a quick and harmless test, then you can decide for yourself whether it's effective or not.

7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

All righty, then. This thread is now closed.

:peg2:

scríbhneoir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.