1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

tactical knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by billybeans, Apr 25, 2013.

1. billybeans

billybeans Loaded Pockets

fad?
    or do we use them for their intended purpose?

Originally, a tactical knife was one that was made for the military for use in combat

:rofl:
    "I rarely wear shorts for tactical reasons" by MarkNM or deep thoughts by jack handy

2. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

I keep a tactical knife in my nightstand, but I'd probably be more likely to grab the economy size can of bear spray next to it if something goes bump in the night. Or a Sai, also in the same drawer.

But I would think that keeping it in a place where it's a last ditch self defense weapon against human beings is keeping with its intended purpose.
    [​IMG]

3. billybeans

nice knife.

i just find it funny to see a dude at work on break with a big ol tactical folder cutting an apple

sungame and ItsHardToKnow like this.
  4. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Tactical knives are like sports cars. People drive sports cars the same speed as a Ford, in the same traffic as a Ford. They just prefer fancy equipment. If you happen to find yourself on a track, or a long, straight Montana highway, or alternately, a Tactical/survival situation... You are stoked you brought the right equipment.

5. billybeans

great point sriracha

6. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Stupid story, but this reminded me of a time at one of the rifle matches I went to, I happened to have a M7 bayonet in my bag.
    One of the guys I shoot with on a regular basis brought out a box of "munchkins".
    Well, my hands are covered in carbon and lead, so out comes the bayonet and I proceeded to eat them using the bayonet as a fork.

In hindsight, I should have A- videotaped it and B - just grabbed them with a napkin.
    But it made for a good laugh.

Back to the OP, I've never used a "tactical" knife to stab someone, but they are nice when you dont have both hands to open a knife, or need something a bit more sturdy than granddads slipjoint.

billybeans likes this.
  7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

fad/looks
    they wont cut any better or defend any better than a 'normal' knife.

but thats whats great - options to compliment your style/personality etc

billybeans likes this.
  8. Gretsch308

Gretsch308 Loaded Pockets

So what is your definition of "Tactical"?

billybeans likes this.
  9. billybeans

Gretsch308 likes this.
  10. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

A lot of the knives I like might be considered 'tactical,' but that may be because I prefer sturdy knives with locks and one-handed opening.

That is an interesting picture...

billybeans likes this.
  11. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

see i dont see how that is what makes a knife 'tactical'
    for me, when i think of the word i think of stuff like what you would ASSUME/imagine some military commando etc would carry
    usually a tanto style blade, black etc

billybeans likes this.
  12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tactical = More units sold.

13. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

there's a neat article about this over on Edge Observer on the issue. Tactical Knife is some kind of advertising jargon. I haven't seen anyone refer to their own knives, or knives they want, as tactical. they tend to use more descriptive terms based on the characteristics of the knife (fixed blade or folding, handle materials, locking mechanism if any, pivot mechanism, blade shape, design/aesthetics), carry method (pocket knife, neck knife, keychain knife), intended use (beater, backup, primary, loaner, etc).

sungame likes this.
  14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Their intended purpose, you mean stabbing people?

If their intended purpose is imagining violent encounters and shopping for the slim chance anything will ever happen. That's plenty of people.

Then again, any one hand opening locking knife can be classified as tactical.

15. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

you want it

personally i don't look to buy a knife because it has the word tactical in the description. i research and read reviews on items before i buy them.

16. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I dunno.
    I can see it that anything actually designed and built for that military purpose is going to be a more solid or durable design, if built right or to that quality... but few actually have a build difference... The rest, just trade on the look and the ''coolness'' that some associate with it. Thus the term tacticool. Ya, its 90% a fad IMO.

I see a big point there; to a lot of people, if its one hand open, or AO, or even locking its automatically ''tactical''. IMO, you have modern/more durable knives(ie not granddads slipjoint), and then you have tactical or military knives. 2 different things. ***

I think it might all depends on what your intended use is, when you have it in hand... If your doing something combative/tactical, whatever your using is gonna be tactical ;)

So, you've never seen a Mustang weaving in and out of traffic, at twice the speed of that traffic? :p:p
    ((just teasing... Its a common sight here.)

G.
    *** EDIT to add; (hope that doesn't come off as an argument in any way with what jda said... Its not meant that way, just thinking out loud here)

billybeans, sungame and schlieb like this.
  17. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Well, Adventurer beat me to it. Personally, I refer to everything as tacticool because it makes me cool... and tactical. Mostly just cool though.:nah_disagree:

Let's face it, "tacticool" is the best adjective ever!

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I have to fix myself a tacticool bagel (going to slice it and spread the cream cheese with a tacticool knife, btw) and head off to work in my tacticool Toyota.

billybeans likes this.
  18. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I guess "tactical knives" could be defined in (at least) two ways:

1. A knife intended for combat use, a fighting knife designed at least in part to be used as a weapon
    2. A knife designed and/or marketed to appear as #1.
    Very few of us - and not even a great percentage of modern soldiers, I guess - will ever use a knife as a weapon in combat. However,I believe quite a large proportion of modern civilians have at some point fantasized about being a warrior. This doesn't mean that you actually want to fight or kill someone. It just means that for most of us, combat is just far enough from our everyday lives that it can be seen as fascinating instead of threatening and scary.

To feed this fascination, many, many people want to own tools and gear supposedly designed for combat use.

Also, many tools actually made for military purposes are solid, sturdy practical no-nonsense tools that can be very useful for many heavy duty civilian applications. When it comes to knives, many aspects that make them suitable for combat also make them more useful overall, IMHO. These features spring to mind:
    • Good steel quality (nice balance between corrosion resistance, edge holding and ease of sharpening)
    • Solid, grippy handle materials that will work well even in a wet environment
    • A blade shape that can be used both for cutting and stabbing (or for non-combat applications: poking or precision work)
    • In folders: A one hand opening blade and a sturdy lock
    Other features that (supposedly) make a knife better for fighting, make it a lousy overall knife (IMHO). These include, but are not necessarily limited to:
    • Double edged blades (daggers)
    • Points that (again: supposedly) work well for stabbing through armor, but are clumsy for precision work that requires a sharp point
    • Blade shapes that make sharpening harder (recurve?)
    • Design that has no apparent function other than making you look like a mall ninja/wannabee warrior/thug/murdering crazy when all you want to do is peel an apple.
    Right now, the latest point is seen as a pro rather than a con by many weekend warriors and mall ninjas. Therefore, the knife industry continue to use "tacticool design" as a marketing strategy. Personally, I believe this is a fad.

On the other hand, many of us appreciate the useful aspects of "tactical" knives, and just have to live with the somewhat aggressive looks. Therefore, there is a market for high quality, versatile, rugged, solid knives that don't look like or are advertized as murder weapons. I believe and hope that this market will grow in the next few years.

EDIT: I use the word "however" way to much.

19. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

I carry a Benchmade 710 or 942 most days. are these "tactical" ? I certainly didn't buy them with intentions of stabbing someone with them, I bought them because they are high quality, reliable knives that will last me a lifetime, and I enjoy them. Them term "tactical" is just a marketing thing, just like the term "survival". Just because a company labels something this way doesn't make it so. Carry what you like, because you like it, and let everyone else do the same.

AK Adventurer and jimbogregs like this.
  20. MedicX

MedicX Loaded Pockets

I agree with sungame here and others. I buy what I like, what I think looks good, and what I feel will hold up under some of the most extreme conditions... Even if that said tool never sees those conditions, it is nice to know that you have that option.

The word tactical and the implications behind it, give the overall feeling of quality, as others have mentioned. And, if the need arise to defend myself with it, then, so be it.

I for one love the black on a good quality knife, tool, etc... If that is what makes it tactical. I don't worry about scaring someone as some people mentioned. I am not worried about being ":censored:" friendly. I buy what I LIKE and use it.

And as far as marketing, if they feel the need to put the word "tactical" on it, and it costs $10 then it most likely is all marketing and you may want to look elsewhere.

This question has been covered so many times on here and other forums, and it is not bad that it gets brought up again, because as we know, some threads get lost in the count. But, I do find many on here attacking the idea of buying something "tactical", whether it be a knife, a bag, flashlight. Don't let those members bother you. This forum was started to talk about what WE as an individual and group carry for our EDC. What makes us happy, and what we find useful or are comfortable carrying.

AK Adventurer, scbubba and mdsmith like this.