1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactical Knife Sheaths

Discussion in 'Knives' started by speedy, Sep 19, 2017.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Did any of your see this? It's sick! I am so ordering one.

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Donno... First off it opens by putting force onto the cutting edge, I don't think that's such a good idea, then better get yourself a waved Emerson.
    At least they are not that heavy like a 110 which is better to be used as a kubotan. Or you get a karambit if you "need" a fighting knife.

The funniest part for me though is that neither of these guys is looking very "tactical", I guess they would perform same well in a knife fight as I would :giggle:

RoadWizard and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Yeah I've been checking into similar things lately. For that style Buck just search "buck quick draw sheath" and you can find a ton of em. For newer folders there are "auto sheaths" that snag onto the thumb stud (or hole or whatever), so it's not rubbing the blade like the Buck ones. Bunch of those available for various knives if you google your knife name + auto sheath. And the furthest development is auto sheaths designed for wave-opening knives, those sheaths are apparently the most reliable for modern folders. "Why put a wave knife in a sheath?" Extra carry positions I guess.

Here's a great post from a designer showing the modern variants.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/auto-deploying-kydex-for-folding-knives-tips.1371217/#post-15798352

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I agree with @Adahn about the cutting edge being under force and the long-term impact on it.

Also, this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in my mind. As mentioned there are plenty of waved knives that will open while being drawn. Furthermore, if you are really looking for a fighting knife there are myriad options, many of which are fixed blades that will conceal easier, wear more comfortably and require a less awkward draw than this appears to have.

I am not a martial arts expert and would have as much chance in a knife fight as Woody Allen would have boxing Mike Tyson, as would many of us. I would probably use my shoe as a weapon before my knife.

RoadWizard and HardToHandle like this.
  5. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Well first of all I was just looking for a speciic sheath and came across this. Wasn't something I was seeking for. That said, if automatic opening was a focus there is no reason IMHO to focus on a type of sheath as much as a knife. The most reliable is: fixed blade! The other options are either:
    1. Automatic aka Switch Blade
    2. Assisted
    3. OH (One-Handed)

I own/owned all 3; my recommendation will always be #3 or Fixed Blade. I found even on the best of Assisted Openers (Benchmade) something as simple as cutting up an orange will make the knife defective. If you find yourself confused by that, it's the juices from the orange if not properly cleaned from the knife WILL stick in certain areas and when you go to open it will only open part way. I personally experienced that and at that moment I no longer care for assisted and switchblades. I am now all about fixed and OH. Personally I no longer own fixed for IMHO any fixed worth buying will be too big for regular carry unless I am wearing a shoulder holster straps and having it upside-down in the middle of my back. Anywhere else it would have to be in a state where carrying such a long/big knife is common. Where I live that is not the case.

So that brings me to buying OH. If it's not OH I am not interested anymore. However, I have just bought another Buck 110 (I owned one or more years prior) because I changed my diet which requires me to cutting a lot of stuff/food and I am not about to use my SAK Trekker OH NS that I use to cut everything then to cut my food after it cut XY&Z. So for now that Buck is on my belt, but planning to attach the new leather sheath with the loop (I had to go directly to Buck yesterday to get that) to my very large functional lunchbox.

So in short, I thought the Sheath was a nifty idea, but in general I think the type of knife would be a better choice.

6. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

That moment when you grab your knife with 2 fingers on the butt end of the grip to stab someone... :D

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Seems like something for wannabe knife fighters. The 110 is IMHO mainly a tool. There are plenty of tactical options. Emerson wave and zip tied Spydercos and other cheap and simple mods. Plus, you know what’s faster? A fixed blade.

Next to that, why do some people make a weapon out of like everything? Else yeah, @Adahn is right. Though I don’t find them guys funny. Well, maybe I do *g*.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Spot on!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adahn likes this.
  9. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

That moment when you realise your fingernails need a good trim