1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Taboo to be Prepared?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by CHARLIE O, May 16, 2014.

1. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I don't like evangelists of any flavor, religious or other. I'm here because I enjoy sharing what I know, and helping others as the opportunity arises. My EDC minimizes inconvenience when things happen, but that's all I hope for. I can only do so much to help others, and I would, but it's mostly up to them.

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'll assume that was the first one this year....

That wasn't a natural disaster, it was a traffic jam.

I feel bad for the few people who lost power and the elderly that didn't make it. I really do.

But the problem was that the government closed schools, offices, etc. and sent the entire population of metro Atlanta onto the roads in a period of about fifteen minutes....10,000,000 people driving 250,000,000 miles...at the same time...when normal traffic sees average speed below 40 in bad spots.

Then, when the roads got the least bit icy, they didn't call salt trucks (which should have started that morning)...instead, they closed the exit ramps, stranding people on the highway for no reason...so people wound up stuck on the roads for most of a day or walked home...then the highways were clogged with abandoned cars.

A lot of it was because truckers aren't required to know anything about winter driving and the cops decided not to tell people to grow up and just drive around them, since they didn't know how to get up hills.

My 3/4 mile commute through midtown took 86 minutes. I could have done the worm faster.

But there is no amount of preparation or gear that would have helped. It would have required a government that didn't react like a snow flurry is a natural disaster.

I put on a normal winter coat and rode my bike through the stopped cars to get to a grocery store, found it closed, and went home and started eating the normal amount of food we keep around...nothing like emergency rations. And it was really cute watching my puppy play in the "snow".

We've had worse storms....another one a few weeks later and one in 2011. Nothing really bad happened except a lot of fender benders because people brake too hard, too late and can't recover a skid until they hit something.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

vinniec5, CHARLIE O and BarksAtCats like this.
  3. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

I must agree with all the no preaching comments. "You can lead a horse to water.....". My biggest conversation starters have been giving out fruit or vegetables that I have grown myself. If they seem receptive, I can go a little further. Not preaching but informing.

You would be surprised even at the complacent attitudes I get when the subject matter comes up at work. I am a first responder/ A.E.D./ CPR instructor for my department. A few officers are interested but most have the attitude of the public. "When are the breaks?", "When is lunch?", "Fire rescue is around the corner.". It does not help that our department promotes that attitude and it makes it very hard for the instructors to counter it.

munkynut454 likes this.
  4. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

Well after the Good Lord brought me safe through my year and a half romp through Iraq and various other places, I guess it's easier for me to PREACH about things, sorry if I offended any of you with my comments , but I'm also an Educator:) Stay calm and EDC on! I did fight for your right to believe whatever you want, so I'll do it my way and you do it yours:)

Sent from the peanut gallery!

moostapha likes this.
  5. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

I do not think any of the preachy comments were aimed at you. I know mine were not. No worries. I think it was a general comment about forceful and unsolicited comments people receive from anyone about anything.

Thank you for your service brother. ......U.S.M.C 1990-1994

6. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

Thank you Brother for your service, and I'm not pointing fingers, I just am very passionate about what I do! I also love to tell people about it:)

Sent from the peanut gallery!

7. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Today at work, a new breaker panel was going to be installed. Everyone knew about the work several days in advance. While we was told that my half of the office space wasn't going to be affected, it did ultimately did so. Three guesses who had a flashlight and no one else did? There excuses ranged from I got a flashlight app on my phone to the windows throughout the place providing sunglight. What happens when your phone dies because you can't charge it and you have to go to the bathroom?? Oh well.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

[​IMG]

:confused:

ATB,
    Sam

tmedina, CHARLIE O and ManVsLawn like this.
  9. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

In my area, we had a water contamination warning and a power outage in the past 72 hours. It was inconvenient for many, completely entertaining for me.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

10. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

The same thing happened here with the 2011power outage. About 2,000,000 people all left work at the same time, none of the stop lights were working, and the roads became gridlocked. I was able to wait a couple of hours and missed the worst of it.

11. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

I dont apologize when people think im paranoid for prepping for likely disasters like losing my home to floods, or fire or having to flee. I carried a knife before i was attacked then when i did get attacked i used it as a weapon and saved my life. the police took 15 minutes to respond and they almost shot me because they thought i was the aggressor (luckly there were tons of witnesses). im also building a bug out bag. two years ago i could have lost my apartment because my next door neighbor was off his medications and had erratic behavior so SWAT evacuated me. i guess if people are in denial of what can happen then its their fault when it does. IMHO the general population wouldnt know how to save itself or how vulnerable they are until something happens to them

snaplok likes this.
  12. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Power went out at Christmas round here for two weeks for some people. It was minus 10 or colder.

20 years ago I used to teach people how to build quinzy snow shelters and to be self sufficient in the woods or on a canoe trip. This was in a public high school. Its not the same in larger urban schools and with the general urban population here in Canada but many are taking being prepared for natural disaster more seriously now given the weird weather events of the recent past.
    IMO still there is potentially a real problem with the disconnect between the real and tangible versus the digital narratives with some kids and combined with other factors such as self esteem coddling (eg. everyone gets a trophy at the sports tounaments now regardless of performance) makes me wonder how they are going to cope as adults with certain stressed conditions.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Flashback...."minimally exceptional" -the reverend George Carlin.

Most of the time when people complain about "kids today" or whatever, it pisses me off. More often than not, they're lomgomg for some kind of golden age that never existed except in their memory. That one....seems to have some truth to it.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

jfoster likes this.
  14. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Most people I know don't see preparing for disaster as over reacting, they see it as "why bother?". They expect that the power will be back up shortly, that the roads will be cleared of snow before they go to work in the morning, that the store shelves will be stocked with bread and milk. Even if the local storms this past year have shown that that is just not the case.

15. thegut

thegut Loaded Pockets

Mi I have a story about being prepared that's not even "doomsday" in scenario. I put a trauma kit together recently. Mainly Israeli bandages, cat tourniquet, Quick clot, nitrile gloves, halo seals etc. I had a friend/Co worker make fun of this kit for being too hardcore and only a first aid kit is necessary. Well long story short, he put together a similar kit of his own without my knowledge but definitely influenced by my kit. I learned today he cut his leg open while cutting down a tree in his backyard and quick clot and the Israeli bandage were applied by his wife.

I haven't heard much about his injury other than he is stable and going to be OK. However the doctor apparently was astounded he came in with such little bloodless. He was also a Gulf war veteran and was amazed at the first civilian application of an Israeli bandage he had seen.

I have a feeling my friend will be buying me some beers for making him be prepared. :)

Sent from my HTL22 using Tapatalk

16. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Hahaha same things happen to me.

Me: exited work to find that my car had a flat. Went back inside the building and began going through my EDC bag. I pull out my nitecore MH2A, letterman Surge, take my dress shirt off, and put on my lifting/gym gloves.

Him: you getting ready for a zombie apocalypse?

Me: nope just grabbing a few thing so that I can change a flat.

Him: ........

Me: are you done being a smart :censored:?

Him: :)

Me: than give me a hand I need someone to hold the light while I cut the tire free and change it.

17. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Once upon a winter I got snowed in at work by 3' of snow. I had no power, no running water, and no food for 5 days and nights. After that I vowed to never go anywhere unprepared. I now carry 3 changes of cloths (season appropriate), 3.5 gallon steel tanker of water, 72 hour mountain house meal kit, a large blanket, heavy jacket, work gloves, tools, and my EDC bag which is full of crap.

18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Why did you have to cut the tire free?

19. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

I'm off on holiday in a few days. Had to fully unpack the EDC rucksack. Check everything for blades, pins, scissors and ensure all liquids are less than 100ml before I travel. Then I know that I'll get pulled at security because I'm the only person who doesn't set the metal detector off as I have prepared correctly and removed all metal objects from my person and placed my laptop in a separate tray. If you do it right they assume you must be trying to slip through without a pat down.

20. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

It's the same over here in the UK. I teach First Aid, CPR and AED. The majority are keen but there are always a few who doubt they will ever need the skill. Mind you there are doubters who come along to officer safety training sessions.