1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

T.H.Cone's (AKA, Fluffy) EDC Thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Well, you might be wondering why I haven't done this long before now. A few reasons really.

For starters, while I enjoy seeing other people's stuff, I can't fathom why anyone would be interested in mine. Second, my stuff doesn't really change often. I mean, I keep buying stuff, but what I carry is pretty stagnant. Third, it wasn't until last summer that I figured out how to post pictures.

And as we all know, these threads are worthless without the photos.

So what's changed? Well a fellow member PMed a month or so ago me and called me out on this oversight. Basically, y'all can thank peer pressure for this.

And Lars, enjoy buddy, because without your prodding, this probably would've never happened.

I used his real name so he doesn't get any hate mail.

Here is a shot of my real EDC.

[​IMG]

Knife, flashlight, MT, Bandana, 550, and some spare cells. The knife is almost always an Endura. The torch is typically some sort two cell unit, normally a P60, but lately it has been this 4Sevens Quark Tactical. I don't know, I must be in a weird mood or something. The MT, at the moment, is a LM Wingman.

Since the first of the year, I've also been carrying a Field Notes memo pad and an Ohto Promecha P1000 mechanical pencil in 0.9mm. I like that that lead size is less fragile in my ham fisted mitts.

Anyway, the Field Notes have been holding up well while riding in my LR pocket and the P1000 has a substantial feel to it that is missing from all the Pentel 205/7/9s that I am most familiar with. Here's the requisite photo.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I find that I don't need these two items, but since I am curious about just how long a Field Notes will maintain its structural integrity in a pocket every day, I will carry them at least until the FN falls apart.

Well, that pretty much cover the basics. I hope it was worth the wait.:p

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Nov 17, 2015
    jag-engr, Excalseras, Nekolf and 33 others like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

I didn't want that first post to be too cluttered, but I have a video- two actually- of the pocket dump for any of y'all who like that sort of thing.

I just upgraded my old VHS cam corder with a 21st century one this last Christmas and have been fooling around with it some. I find it very difficult and unnerving to film myself. It borders on real panic and it is hard for me to watch. That said, if you like train wrecks, the vids might provide some comic relief.

Last edited by Fluffy, Nov 8, 2014
  3. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Awesome EDC thread. Just what I've been looking for. Very minimalist and practical.

No phone or Watch or anything else?

Cheers,
    FACE

4. T.H.Cone

Thanks, FACE.

My EDC gets decidedly unminimalist if I'm going to be more than ten or so miles from home, but I'll leave that for another thread.

I do own a Suunto Vector, but I only wear it when I'm going someplace where I anticipate needing to know the time. Most of the time, I am pretty unconcerned with that sort of thing. Here is a shot of it along with my son's G-Shock. BTW, The watch is a good 12 or 13 years old and has been bulletproof on many outdoor adventures. Supposedly, The new ones are decidedly less so.

[​IMG]

As for the phone, I don't carry one. I pretty much laid out my thoughts on that in this thread. The short answer is that I don't find my need for the phone justifies the cost. For me, it is an unnecessary expense. Oddly, having four Jumbo style bags seems perfectly rational.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 26, 2014
    CalicoSalsa, xbanker, Nekolf and 19 others like this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

About time!:eek: Awesome!

6. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Agreed...

This should have been done long ago.

At least your EDC thread has videos; that's something you don't see often.

Thumbs up T.H. :D

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I'll have to watch the vids when I get home (stupid corporate firewall). Some day someone's going to talk me into one of these too...

8. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool to be able to put a voice to T.H.Cone :)
    Nice gear, I mostly wear a Suunto myself. Pretty cool you are not dependent on time all the time. I assume you do have an alarm clock to wake up?

9. T.H.Cone

Yes, I have an alarm clock, but I get up before the alarm goes off unless something is going on with me from a health or fatigue standpoint.

As for the voice, well, I don't think I sound quite so panicked in RL. That camera freaks me out. I've been watching Anson's YT videos. He's smooth as silk.

10. T.H.Cone

Since my carry varies very little, and this thread will quickly come to a grinding halt because of its slow evolution, I'm going to slowly go through my collection of gear in sporadic mini reviews. I will take a piece of gear along on my daily travels for a few days to reacquaint myself with it, then offer up my take on it.

Obviously, I'm a biased guy and that can't be helped. I can mitigate it a little because I am aware it exists, but it will always be there, lurking in the background. Just as obvious is the fact that my biases make some gear better for me than other gear. So nothing I say should be taken as Dogma. I'm just one guy with an opinion.

Speaking of my biases, here are my major ones.

Knives- I prefer modern tactical folders with deployment holes by a wide margin. This makes me a Spyderco fan by default. I can tolerate a flipper and I really dislike thumb studs. Tip up only on a carry knife. That said, I collect plenty of knives that I would not otherwise carry because I just like knives.

Flashlights- Reverse clicky P60 multi mode lights (no blink modes) are my favorite. I like a bigger light, typically with two cells. A pocket clip is a plus

Multitools- I don't feel to strongly about these so long as they are built well and function. If it is full sized, again, I prefer a pocket clip.

Bags- I'm all over that map here. I dislike single strap bags, but use one every day. Certain features tend to bother me, so I'm sure lively discussions are going to happen. For instance, hip belts that can't do their job.

Batteries- Eneloop or primary cr123a. I avoid rechargeable LI batteries; I find the juice to not be worth the squeeze.

Pants- Carpenters over cargos. I own plenty of cargos, occasionally wear cargos, but I'm always unhappy as soon as I go to put stuff in my pockets.

Jewelry- Nothing other than my wedding ring. As I stated, I try not to wear a watch and while my kids tie paracord all the time, I hardly ever wear a 550 bracelet.

Electronics- No phone, no lap top, no tablet. This mainly comes into play in conjunction with the bags I own because I never concern myself with how the bag will carry these things.

11. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Now we know what you look like get to put a face to some of your better comments. Great videos for a first time, nice gear. I thought we would have seen some of your P60 flashlights that you always talk about.

12. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's about time!

13. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Very, very cool, T.H. It's good to read about someone that is unabashedly fine with consistently carrying the same gear for EDC. You might think it's boring, but I think it"s a solid indicator that you're a guy who chooses well and then sticks with stuff that works. Don't get no better than that, partner!

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wait just a minute...

I don't see any towels on that list:confused:

15. T.H.Cone

Keith, here is a teaser.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will say this. A $10 host and a $35 custom drop in will, on average, run circles around most flashlights, especially those under priced under $50.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Dec 26, 2014
    Nekolf, snowkiwi, Jerry L and 14 others like this.
  16. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing TH those are some nice lights.

17. T.H.Cone

Thanks, but most spend their days in a Pelican boxes . They are sad little lights.

18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

But don't they get to come out at night?

19. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Watch out keeping them all in one box they might multiply.

20. T.H.Cone

Maybe, I don't know what they do after I go to bed.

See my reply to Kertap.:p

Nekolf, S_Serpent, swany66675 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.