1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

System for transition from casual to business

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by a99raptors, Dec 25, 2008.

1. a99raptors

a99raptors Empty Pockets

Hi everyone. I have a bit of dilemma here myself. I am trying to devise a system of EDC that allows me to transition from casual, jeans and T shirt wear to one that requires a formal business like attire (minus the jacket). Have tried many things like man bags, backpacks, attache cases but nothing really that satisfies me. I currently like to EDC the following:

Most important
    1. Surefire E2DL
    2. Vertical Wallet
    3. Phone
    4. Gerber Sport
    5. OC Spray

Secondary
    6. First Aid Kit
    7. Camera
    8. GPS
    9. Alcohol Hand Rub
    10. Spare Batteries.
    11. Notebook and Stationery

I've tried the pocket pouches, 5.11 covert pants, shirts, backpacks. Still nothing satisfactory. I was wondering if any of the EDC gurus here have any suggestions. I change into scrubs at work so the items have to transition easily between business attire and scrubs. Also, at home in the night, the items should be at the ready especially larger self defence items like a collapsible baton. Too bad we can't own guns here. Thanks!

2. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

That is a lot of stuff to carry when dressed formally for business.

Do you want to carry all that on your person? Or are you looking for some type of bag/ belt carry solution?

The phone, camera, gps combo while in business attire seems really challenging. I wouldn't know how to carry all that myself while dressed formally.

I would readdress some of those items and perhaps weed out some of it when I had to dress up. For instance: First Aid Kit and gps ... do you need to carry that on you when dressed up?

Mark

3. Charles1198

Charles1198 Empty Pockets

I'd ditch what I could in my locker at work, then carry the rest in a belt pouch or waistpack. Scrubs do pose a challenge, though. Do they even have belt loops?

4. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

I have never seen scrubs with belt loops. I have seen them with cargo thigh pockets on one side but those are usually to take the place of the slash front pockts that scrubs don't have. About the only way to go is with a fanny pack. One reason why you see nurses wear the light labcoats or jackets is for the extra pockets.

It has been awhile since I have worn scrubs but I doubt they have changed much except now they have cooler colors than we used to have.

Here is an idea that might be a bit over the top but pretty cool. How about a dual pouch shoulder holster like at this link? http://caldwellswebsite.com/USH%20300%20Dual%20Holsters.htm

Like I said, a bit much but you have to admit, kindof cool. :drool:

5. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Empty Pockets

If you change to a phone with good enough camera and GPS, you can offload 2 of those items. Put that in your chest pocket in the scrubs, saving other pockets for less fragile goods. I use an iphone 3g, but a blackberry would do the same and probably be more stable. I carry my wallet in the back hip pocket, and have my AAA light tethered to my stethoscope which hangs around my neck. Something like an E2DL is kinda big to carry without some sort of pack. I occasionally IWB carry a multitool or knife. That gets me close to your "Primary" items (minus the OC spray). Which begs the question: Where do you need OC spray in a hospital? Inner city Detroit?

I'd try some sort of padfolio, which would cover your stationary, and could stash a small FAK and maybe even some other small items that you couldn't fit as above. For the home items, there's always the trusty nightstand.

6. a99raptors

a99raptors Empty Pockets

Thanks for the replies! And yes I do need to cut down somewhat. To clarify, my scrubs don't have pant pockets, no belt loops either. I've been using mainly the Specops pocket pouch for the tools in one side, and the other holds my wallet and phone. Steths go over my neck. I was toiling around with the idea of carrying a man-bag with all the other stuff around, but knowing what a dunderhead I am sometimes I might just forget where I left it.

7. a99raptors

a99raptors Empty Pockets

Haha! About the OC spray, I don't really need it on the job all the time, it's just the convenience of transferring all the items from one to another, and not leaving any of them behind. You'll be surprised at how many things I've lost to the cleaners after dumping my scrubs and leaving things in them.

PS, the hospital where I work is located has one of the highest gang crime rates in the country, and yes bad things have happened right in the compounds.

8. a99raptors

a99raptors Empty Pockets

Cool looking holsters! Thanks for the tip, but I must admit, they will definitely clear the changing room when they see me with one of those!