1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sypderco Paramilitary 2 with Benchmade Axis Lock - $35

Discussion in 'Knives' started by karlito, Mar 22, 2016.

1. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I found this on my local Craigslist (San Francisco Bay Area)
    I didn't do any research on it but assume it is a total fake - looks good though.

[​IMG]01717_gaSePtQdUmT_600x450
    [​IMG]00606_dnSrLJQURZR_600x450

Brand New in Box - Spyderco Paramilirary 2 with axis lock folding knife, perfect for your outdoor survival. Blade is made of 440C stainless steel, very sharp and durable to use. Comes with Safety Orange, OD Green, Camo, and Black G10 handle, with great damp proof, anti-slip, insulating and oil proof features. Tip up carry only due to Axis Lock. Hollow out design on back of blade, convenient to open the knife.

Blade Material: 440C Stainless Steel
    Handle Material: G10 Handle (Safty Orange, OD Green, Camo or Black)
    Fold Length: 4.812 inches
    Unfold Length: 8.281 inches
    Blade Length: 3.438 inches
    Total Weight: 4.339 ounces

Must be 18 to purchase. Cash Only - Pick Up Only
    Can Meet in Sunset/Parkside area or downtown San Francisco

2. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

That's made by Ganzo. You can get them for ~$15.

3. Slayer2003
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Slayer2003 Loaded Pockets

Oh man, a PM2 with an Axis lock...I think this has broken my brain. I cannot decide if this would make the knife better, or completely destroy my love for it. I love flicking the PM2 so much, they are like butter. And then the compression lock takes that butter and reduced the heck out of it to make ghee. Just the creamiest dang thing imaginable.

But an Axis lock is also such an amazing locking mechanism, I really don't know, completely at a loss...

Daywalker likes this.
  4. Emeraldalkaline

Emeraldalkaline Loaded Pockets

As stated, that's a Ganzo which are actually pretty decent budget knives! I have their copy of a bench made griptilian. But as Josh said, you can get it for cheaper. Try gearbest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'd be so much more forgiving of cheap counterfeit knives if they'd just be honest about it and not actually call it a Spyderco Para 2. It just instantly puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me feel like whoever is selling it is a piece of crap dirtbag that can't be trusted and has no problem lying to make a sale.

Daywalker and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. Emeraldalkaline

That's the thing. Ganzo does not call it a spyderco paramilitary 2. They have their own model for it. In this case it is the person selling it that is trying to rip someone off. Ganzo puts their logo on the left side of the blade too, and he seems to purposely not picture that side.

This is just a case of a malevolent seller trying to con someone for a quick buck.

7. Emeraldalkaline

To prove the point the seller knows what he's doing, here's the left side of the blade. Exact same model.[​IMG]

Adahn likes this.
  8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That's unfortunate I guess. Still if this Ganzo person/company/whatever has the ability to make a decent knife, they could try a little harder to come up with their own designs and that would prevent other people from trying to fool others into thinking it's a real Spyderco.

Daywalker likes this.
  9. Emeraldalkaline

Very true. They do have surprisingly decent blades, let 90% of their models are benchmade, spyderco, and even lionsteel copies. There are maybe 1 or 2 originals in there though. Worth checking out if you want an expensive knife but aren't sure if it's "for you" yet.

Daywalker likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Ya know, I hear that argument quite a bit. "Hey, if you aren't sure you wanna pony up the cash for a Sebenza, just buy a fake and try it out first". That may sound like a fool proof plan, but it's still supporting the counterfeit market the same was as if you never planned on buying the real thing.

I dunno, I just have no respect for counterfeits. It takes a lot of work to establish a customer following and to come up with a design that can support your business, and it makes me sick seeing people take the easy way out by copying their ideas. I guess that's the artist in me, I just can't stand plagiarism.

11. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I totally agree. I have some Ganzo, Sanrenmu and Enlan (Bee) knives from China. OK, you get what you pay for. You won´t get a $100 knife for $10. But they are worth the money. I can´t get any comparable in Germany for this price or even 2x the price. Made in China is not equivalent to bad quality anymore.
    But 90% of the knives are copies of other brands. See Ganzo G720 and Lionsteel SR1 also. I really like the quality of the $16 Ganzo G720 but I always have a bad feeling because of the design. What the Chinese need are some good designers. Sanrenmu and especially Enlan (Bee) is on a good way with some own designs.

Real steel (own designs, very good quality) is also a brand from Sanrenmu. And as I know 90% of the Sanrenmu knives are made for other brands. Because I´m not 100% sure and I can´t prove I don´t like to inform the brands.

Daywalker and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

It's not just these people making knives, it's China as a whole. Look up how they copy cars sometime. I read a statement once where one of the manufacturers said in so many words that they're a developing nation and are so far behind the rest of the world that they can't afford to invest in development and design so they copy whatever established designs they can. I actually understand that on some level, but it wouldn't be hard to tweak a Para 2 design enough to make it similar but not a blatant copy. I have no problem with taking inspiration from something, but until these companies start making their own product they will never grow beyond just some company who makes knock offs.

But, I guess this is to be expected consider that China is the leading source of counterfeiting American money too. There is literally no limit to what they won't plagiarize.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Like in many countries and economies, businesses in China fall into tiers. The top tier companies in different segments are in fact doing design work. Mid tier are a mixed bag. The lowest level are where you find the pirates. Note also, when I say top tier companies are doing design work, it is not always visible to the outside world. In the realm of 3rd party manufacturers, the very best are indeed now capable of refining manufacturing processes and collaborating with US and European firms in terms of refining final product designs, refining material selection, and reducing cost -- and the very best (usually those for example in electronics working with the major global electronic firms, or the local JV automotive partners of VW, GM, etc) are beginning to export quality products back to the original home countries. In fact one Chinese appliance company (Haier?) recently made a bid to buy the appliance division of GE. Took many in the US by surprise. Shouldn't have -- Haier are a really big deal back in their home market. I used to own some of their appliances when I lived there!

Also, in the world of startup business and entrepreneurs even here in the US, many know that if they want to get a product to market quick, working with a Chinese company to produce a short run of product based on specs is a quick way to get to market and test a product design. Affordably. This would not be working if all of them produced shlock!

To illustrate what I mean by tiers here in the US, the top tier US manufacturing companies compete for and win national quality awards such as the Baldridge Prize. Second tier can be a mixed bag. Lower level? Some still trapped in the 1960's concept of QA!

Anyway, let's not generalize and smear all the Chinese companies. There certainly are a lot at the bottom of the pyramid. But it is changing. Just a very bumpy ride in some sectors!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

OK, so I can't really argue against any of that, but I have to ask, does the Chinese government do anything to stop these counterfeits from happening? I have to assume no, if companies as large as their auto industry are making blatant copies of other brands.

A few examples for those who aren't aware...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I can understand a pocket knife slipping under the radar, but when several car brands are making blatant copies, the people in charge over there are well aware that it's happening and they just don't care. I'm sure there are companies there who produce their own products and don't resort to piracy to make a living, and it sucks to lump them into the same group, but it's hard to pick them out when I don't know who they are. At any rate, I'm clearly not speaking about the companies who make their own products, we're talking about obvious fakes here.

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to smear the whole of China. I'm not the type to discriminate or be prejudice/etc. But, there are exceptions to every stereotype just as there surely are to this one. When people talk about "tattooed punks", I don't take offense because I have tattoos, because I know I'm not a punk. In fact it's quite the opposite, I would say I have even more respect for those companies making their own designs, when they're competing with other companies who are taking the easy route. I respect that a lot. I just have an equal amount of disrespect for the companies who are ripping off designs.

15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

About the cars, are you sure that's all just "copies"?
    Because licencing car models has a long traditions, many of the cars produced in the former communist states were licenced cars, for example many FIAT models were produced in Russia, Poland and Romania.

The first Lexus was an older Mercedes model, too, by the way, just like many Japanaese cars from the 70s/80s were not very "original"...

Oh, and from the same Ganzo line you'll also find an RAT1 Axis lock version which Ontario knives should've made instead of their assisted opener :p

Daywalker likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Without a doubt, the government in China has been woefully inadequate concerning counterfeiting and piracy. They have only begun to crack down -- but only where it hurts them either diplomatically or domestically. (on the domestic front in particular in the cases of counterfeit vaccines, non-sterile medical gear, etc.) But hardly yet to world class.

My whole point was simply that the universities in China; coupled with returning students who have studied abroad; coupled with knowledge transfer from working with US and European partners as well as Japanese, South Korean, and Taiwanese partners, is resulting in a 'tier' (my term anyway) of better companies who have capabilities beyond simple copying. Unfortunately, technical prowess does NOT always translate into a willingness to expend resources to create and market a brand identity -- at least not in most cases. But some are getting there.

The dragon is awake.

Moshe ben David