1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Switching to Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ThreeWulfMoon, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I currently EDC an iPhone 5c. I like it, but it is a little flaky. My face presses the FaceTime or Mute buttons during calls quite frequently. I don't like being forced to use a proprietary and expensive charging cable.

So to make a long story short, I'm looking to upgrade soon. I'm not opposed to the iPhone 6 or 6+ per se other than the problems above, but I'm strongly thinking of going to Android or Windows Phone. The Note 4 was in the running until I saw AT&T's $829 price tag ($100 more than other carriers). I like the fact that I can buy a Nokia Lumina 930 for $500 unlocked, or the 830 for about $50 cheaper.

Has anyone switched away from iOS to a competing platform? Did you find yourself wanting to go back? I'll miss FaceTime with the kids when I'm out of town, but I won't miss paying $15 for a lightning cable when I'm on the road and mine goes kaput. I'm interested in your input and welcome your comments.

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Based on who you want to hear from, I'm not in the class of those who switched from iphone. I wanted to give your thread a bump and make some Android centric recommendations. There was a recent review on droid-life.com from an Android user who used the iphone 6 for two weeks. It would probably give you useful insight into the switch.

I'm running a Note 3 and you won't miss much by going with this compared to the Note 4 IMHO. But why AT&T is pricing the 4 so high seems really odd to me compared to the the other carrier's pricing. But if you can wait a bit, the pricing should get better pretty quickly.

While the stylus is nice on the Note, after a year of using Note 3 the stylus isn't that critical for my use. I do like the stylus, just not essential to my phone use. If you just like the form factor which is more of my reasoning, there are some other good large phones to consider. Samsung S5, LG G3, Motorola X (2014), Oppo, One Plus One, Sony Experia, and the pending Nexus is rumored to be just under 6 inches of screen. These all have 5+ inch screens and good internal components. As they are mostly earlier 2014 releases, pricing is more reasonable.

Microsoft's efforts in Windows Phone have really turned me off. I was a user of Microsoft on earlier handhelds like the Dell Axim. But they've taken a turn down the Apple path into a more structured and walled off system. My usage preferences are at odds with this. To me, the pricing therefore seem more loss-leader to hook you into their environment.

One of my considerations is the aftermarket support community to free myself from the carrier and manufacturer constraints. The people who create jailbreak methods,, build custom ROMs and root applications. These people tend to support high end but mainstream popular devices best. I would have bought an LG G Pro instead of my Note 3 for example. It was cheaper, had a less intrusive skin/overlay compared to Touchwiz and so on. But the support for Root and ROM was non-existent. Nor has LG been very good about software updates itself. If you buy your phones outright as I do, having good aftermarket support is better than the factory support which only offers software updates for 12-18 months. With Slim ROM, my son still runs an old Galaxy S with Android 4.4 support.

Samsung has been using an "e-fuse" with their phones for the last year or so. This is to detect Root and ROM tampering and also for their Knox security. Some Root methods can bypass the detection, but not all. If you want to Root and ROM a Samsung, this is something to weigh. If your employer wants to install something on your phone for work purpose, Root and ROM detection often comes into play, or they might use Knox itself. I don't know what Microsoft does in regards to their security, but based on how they treat UEFI on the PC side, they're probably stringent too.

3. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I had iphones for 4 or so years and when my iphone 4s started messing up i got a htc one m8 (android),i liked it at first but now i wish i had an iphone agian (mainly the 6+).

The google app store and apps don't have the same polished and high quality feel as the apple app store.
    Before you download apps you have to agree to give them access to what they want and most of the apps in the google store require a crazy amount of info from you like your phone number,contacts list,location,browser history and a bunch of other things.
    The music center isn't as polished or nice/easy to use as it is with iphones.
    Buying apple cords does suck but unless you wipe them out often i don't see it as a deal breaker,$15 cord for a phone that cost hundreds doesnt seem bad to me.
    Also my htc will only let me put certian pics as my background and wont let me center them when i have to crop them.phone specific problem but still :)
    I don't recomend android at all,get an iphone and continue to be happy untill the one time every year or two you have to buy a cord lol

Last edited by Hi its me, Oct 6, 2014
  4. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Are you using a case on our iphone? When holding your phone to your face, do you notice the screen turing off? The only time I have seen/heard of this issue was caused by a poorly designed case that blocked the Proximity Sensor. If the screen stays on during a call, you do risk a chance of touching "buttons" on the screen with your face.

I agree about the proprietary and expensive charging cable. Apple doesn't force you to use there cables, there are a ton of "Approved by Apple" cables to use, but again they are still around $10-$12 each. I ordered 6 Cables and Charges on ebay for $10 from a US company. What arrived looked just like the Apple OEM, but after a few uses the Lightning port end came off one after another. So on my last three cables, I tapped them prior to use. That worked... Now on to the little charging bricks. These chinese knock-offs get VERY hot. I have heard of some knock offs even catching fire.

So no matter what phone you decided to purchase next, be sure you don't go out and get cheap chargers or cables, there is a difference. A $15 cable is worth a lot less then what a $2 charger on fire could cost you.

ps. FaceTime with my kids when out of town is worth more then gold. So much better then Skype ever was/is.

5. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I forgot to mention i never had problems with my face touching buttons.a phone case with a lip may help keep your face from hitting buttons.

6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Interesting assertion, but I've seen nothing to suggest it's a supportable claim. The droid-life review I mentioned is quite scathing of the apple app-store for example.

Nor have I seen examples of the higher polish in common apps. Perhaps some games, but I don't play many games.

Certainly, preference enters into the experience as well.

This is a highly exaggerated and over-generalized claim. There are differences in how the two systems approach the app store and permissions descriptions. Google doesn't require as much for an app to be in the store. There is good and bad to this. Apple does weed out nefarious apps better than Google. On the other hand, Apple is more limiting on the sorts of apps they'll accept as well so there is some choice reduction. For most users of both systems this doesn't really seem to matter much.

As to permissions, Google has rules about the permission text displayed. This sets up a sort of alarmist style in an effort to dissuade app writers from querying data not essential to the app. Many apps will explain their actual queries on their site or other info about the app. Apple does offer the user the power to reject certain data queries and better than Android does stock. AppOps in Android can do it as well, but is generally hidden without root. But if you're rooting, Xprivacy offers complete and total control if you want it.

On a stock device, Apple offers somewhat more potential privacy, but it is still up to the user to choose apps well and set the policies appropriately. In either case, i suggest a user read app reviews carefully and verify they have the actual app selected, not a masquerading clone before installing.

This one is purely preference. And you can use itunes and such on an Android device, though you'll need an extra tool to interface between them. There are many people who prefer neither Apple or Google for this such as myself.

7. ThreeWulfMoon

My iPhone is in a Lifeproof case. At times, I work outdoors in inclement weather, so I need the protection. However, my wife has a 5c that is not pand hers is as bad or worse than mine with the above problem.

My first smartphone was the Samsung Blackjack. I went to the Nokia e71x. Next I went to the "original phablet" the Dell Streak 5. I loved the hardware, but Dell had a very buggy version of Android, and because the phone never took off, it wasn't well supported. I picked up a 4S and have been iOS ever since.

I'm geeky enough that I like the extra freedom Android affords. That's why the Note 4 appeals to me. I also use a windows 8 tablet at work, so I know I would like the novelty of the stylus. I also like popping in a MicroSD for additional storage. AT&Ts pricing--and I say that because I don't want to switch carriers--sucks for this phone. The Sony Xperia z3 looks good too and may actually be the Android front runner now.

Windows Phone appeals to me for a couple reasons. Nokia phones have awesome cameras (the 930 has a 20 MP camera with high quality mega controls). They also have screens that area outdoor readable, which is a feature I can use. I also think that though Microsoft was way late to the game, WP is shaping up nicely. It will never have the 3rd party app support that iOS and Android does. And to be frank, I like the fact I can get a 930--a phone that matches up agains most flagships--unlocked for $500.

However, I'll most likely end up getting an iPhone 6 Plus. I know it will be a great phone that has the apps I use the most. That being said, I'm still looking, so keep up the

8. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I too use a lifeproof case, it's a genuine life proof (be sure yours has a serial number inside the case - both half's). Lots of fake life proof cases can be found cheap on eBay and elsewhere. Never had the proximity sensor issue you speak of, ever. Sorry, still stuck on the call issue since that was your major complaint.

Oh... Windows mobile... You'll end up buying an iPhone not long after using that. Just sayin... Seems to happen to every one I know that has tried one.

9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The biggest change if you switch to Windows 8.1 mobile will be the Windows eco system. Like iOS one depends entirlely on apps avaialble. These days Windows mobile apps cover enough. Skype replaces Facetime, and Skype has been ported to Android phones. Works as well or better than Facetime.

You could save quite a bit if you look at the Galaxy Note 3. The Note 3 has the same size screen as the Note 4, although sligtly lower resolution.

The Nokia/Microsoft phones you mention have all recieved very good reviews, happy shopping and let us know what you purchase.

10. survivaleverydaycarry

survivaleverydaycarry Loaded Pockets

I am looking into a new phablet to replace my iphone4. I was a long time android user before getting my dad's old iPhone 4 this year when my g2 started dying. The iOS experience had been a good one, but not good enough to stay away from android. I need the best camera possible as well for quickly responding to retail business inquiries with product photos. Samsung seems like they are currently the forerunner in that department, but I don't think the very best is what will end up selling me on which one I ultimately get. Looking forward to hear how your research and purchase plays out.

11. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

Windows phone is nice but somewhat limited. I'd go with Android.

12. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

gizmodo did a nice examination of the top smartphones cameras.

google search: "best smartphone camera:iPhone 6 Edition gizmodo"

13. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I've got a Nokia 920 that I've had for a while now. The battery life is great, I'm a heavy phone user, multiple e-mail accounts, conference calls, texts, web browsing, news reading, music streaming etc. Some days particularly if I have several multiple hour+ long calls I'll need to recharge before the end of the work day. When I had a home phone for conference calls that battery could have lasted almost 2 work days. I also always have blue tooth/wifi on.

I'm not a big app person, so I don't miss those. There was another thread floating around here about windows phone apps you should take a look at so I won't go into the detail there.

I've had iPhones up through the 4, I've had the Atrix, the Note, I still have a Note Tablet, etc. To me it is a great phone. If you are mainly worried about phone calls, text messages and e-mail you can't go wrong. If you want apps and games and all of that other stuff, its not so good. The apps etc have come a long way and there are some really good ones, but it is still missing some of the big name apps and you won't find a lot of apps for it that you would expect to be able to find.

I was not a phone of Windows Mobile 6.X at all. But this feels pretty good. I've had some issues with the phone locking up while syncing app content (mostly seems to be facebook), but uninstalling facebook and a few other apps that did real time syncing etc cleared the issue up.

You can use skype instead of facetime if their phone/laptop/tablet whatever will support it. Skype can be integrated right from your dialer.

14. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

I know this might be a bit off the original posters topic, but seems to be a point of contention.

Don't get to hung up on megapixels on a smartphone camera. Megapixels is another word for "marketing to uninformed consumers"... doesn't mean as much as quality lens, and good vibration reduction/image stabilization on a point and shoot. I have a HUGE megapixel (36 million Effective Pixels) DSLR and guess what, without a $1000+ lens at low ISO, you don't get to see all those megapixels. Its a fact, not just an observation.

A smartphone limits the sensor size, and moving up the megapixels without increasing the sensor size can degrade the photo quality by letting in less light than you could get with fewer megapixels. So rather then looking at megapixels, smartphone buyers should be looking at low light performance and photo processing. Automatic low light adjustments... I think if you search for "best smartphone cameras", do a little research, you will find there are clear favorites that outperform the high megapixels marketing and take some great photos.

Last edited by K2-Kevin, Oct 10, 2014
    dml24 likes this.
  15. survivaleverydaycarry

survivaleverydaycarry Loaded Pockets

Just got the galaxy s5 today. Loving it so far.

16. campy

campy Empty Pockets

I carry a Nokia Lumia 1520 and imo it's a great phone. Love the big screen.

17. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

I bought a new 1520 from MS store back in early summer. Camera died 3 months later. Got a replacement phone and promptly sold it and got a big screen android.

I loved the Nokia maps, the screen, camera, and the phone in general. Hated lack of basic apps and even some simple things the reminders in the calendar (could not customize).

If I could put android on the phone, I would have. I really think Microsoft has almost zero commitment to phone market, especially after what they did to Nokia

I really dislike Apple stuff, but I would get an iphone before I got another Windows Phone

18. ThreeWulfMoon

Thanks you all. I'm still weighing my options. I'm trying to resist upgrade fever a bit longer but my 5c is getting a bit long in the tooth. If I do go iPhone, I'm going 128 GB.

19. whoppo

whoppo Loaded Pockets

Still rockin my BlackBerry Z10, enjoying better relative security, both BlackBerry and Android application support, expandable memory, true multitasking and a 4500 mAh battery that can go days on a charge. Seriously considering the new BlackBerry Passport coming later this year.

OK now... stop laughing :)

kiloromeo96 likes this.