1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Switch back to dumb phone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by hutten, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LefsaBL

LefsaBL Loaded Pockets

I went back to my old phone after my iphone died. At the moment I don't really need a smart phone so I'm fine with the crappy phone, but if I were out and about all day (especially after dark and/or in an unfamiliar location), I'd definitely want the smart phone. I don't hesitate to say that when I had the iphone it saved my life more than once...

2. hutten

hutten Loaded Pockets

How did the iPhone save your life? I don't doubt in situations in can, but if you don't mind, what's the story?

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Having my smart phone with me makes me more prepared. I have access to information and tools that I probably wouldn't otherwise. I don't see how not having it would make me more prepared. I don't rely on it and if I was going someplace where I needed something, I would take the appropriate gear in addition to the phone. But the phone is amazing for preparing me for the unexpected.

Besides, I have straight talk and the smart phone plan is the same as a non smart phone, so its a no brainer. Downgrading to a dumb phone would be like losing money. Paying the same price, no reason not to have it. And its cheaper than any contract phone I've found that is unlimited like mine. Plus mine works off of verizons towers, which has the best coverage in my area.

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk 1701

4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I have a Tracfone as well. For me, all the "smart" phone stuff is unnecessary and the things I would use, I already have. My Motorola flip phone was cheap and the plan only costs $100 a year. Yeah, there's a limit on the amount of minutes, but I rarely talk/text as I use the land line at home or email 90% of the time. It's a cheap nothing phone, but for someone like me who's mostly carrying it for emergencies only, it's perfect.

5. Will W.

Will W. Empty Pockets

I love my smart phone when it is working, I loathe it when the battery is close to dead after four hours of use. I have contemplated going back to a brick phone but I know from experience that I would miss the ability to use the navigation and google search stuff.

6. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

My phone screen is bigger than my GPS (TomTom 930t 4.3" vs 4.7" HTC One X).
    [​IMG]

It also stays nicely mounted on windshield, just like my TomTom did. Power cable is a temporary setup, I need to route it elsewhere some day.

Action shot from today when I parked car at work, next to a small pile of snow:
    [​IMG]

Phone itself cost me less few months ago (nice deal slightly used) than I paid for TomTom in 2010. TomTom software for Android with lifetime updates costs less than one year worth of updates for 930t but I'm actually quite happy with Google Maps and it's navigation function, which is free anyways so I'm staying with it for now.

To stay on topic itself:

That HTC One X is my personal phone. For work I also carry iPhone 3GS and that is one I could replace with a dumb phone as it's only used to call clients and send them sms messages, read email and have calendar alerts. Well, maybe if not a dumb phone but something like Nokia E52. Brick with features and decent battery life. Or maybe one of those Samsung Xcovers.

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

It's kind of obvious that if you spend 90% of your time at home or your workplace where you've got a computer, then you don't really need a smartphone.

Go on a day trip, spend some time away from your normal haunts or just bum around somewhere and the smartphone becomes very useful.

8. Sam Feldman

Sam Feldman Empty Pockets

I have owned a dumb phone for my whole life, and I think it definitely can be good to be a little less connected. From what I've noticed, most people that don't have cell phone reception for a few days find it very relaxing. Dumb phones also hold a charge for much longer. Additionally, there is a cool service called Quickmailcheck that I use, which allows me to access email through my text messaging plan (for the times that I need to access my account).

9. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I use my smart phone quite a bit when out of cell service. It's not so much the connection I enjoy as the apps and storage to do things I want to do.

10. Nightrain349

Nightrain349 Loaded Pockets

With a smart phone you are über prepared. Why go backwards. Some one isn't gonna appreciate your extra work. Results are all that matters in these times. Do more with less work.

11. Dan Jones

Dan Jones Empty Pockets

I had a few "smart phones" before the iPhone came out. But I like long battery life. So I use a prepay and a mini wifi device. You don't want a dead phone in times of emergency because you were to busy playing Angry Birds.

12. Changchung

Changchung Loaded Pockets

I have a nokia 6682 that I use when I sale a phone to buy a new model, and because I leave in a country that you can be kill for your smart phone I carry a chinese phone with dual sim which I use in public space and the street...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

13. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

this is the most interesting thread ive read in a long time.
    im still using a "dumb" phone, its actually a very good camera (at the time) with phone abilities. got it because i use to travel international a lot, and it doubles as a simple camera, and i can simply buy sim cards to use in other countries.

but every now and then, i get the urge of really wanting a smart phone.
    maybe its envy because it seems everybody and their grandmas have one or two, and some are so glued to their phones its like the rest of the world doesnt exist anymore. can it really be that great?
    but reading through this thread got me really thinking about how i would use a smart phone.

i dont like surfing the web on an ipad, and browsing on a phone would be even worst.
    i hate having a conversation using texts, but it does come in handle for quick exchanges, but my current phone does that fine.
    i dont care for games or apps, i had an ipod touch(junk product) and only used it for music, before it died. (i also despise itunes):nah_disagree:
    i dont like talking on the phone for lengthy periods of time.

i would love the GPS ability, but ive been driving since before cel phones were used, and have developed a good sense of direction. i might not know where i am exactly, but i know where im heading towards:D and like others, i look up where im going if its some place new to me.
    cel phone camera technology has gotten much better, most even have flash now, so an upgrade there would be welcomed.

just like to thank some of you in helping me realize i dont need a smart phone. in fact, i might downgrade even more, and go for one of those prepaid phones, or emergency-only phones.

14. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

I think I really should change back to a dumb phone, since finding edcf I am glued to my phone, even at work and every other spare moment. Think im getting a bit obsessive........

15. hutten

hutten Loaded Pockets

I just recently had an situation that made me wish I didn't take the data off my phone. I'm fairly new to the area I live, and had to get to the hospital. But I didn't really know where it was. A friend gave me directions, but they ended being a little off. It would have been very easy to do a quick search on my phone. Of course, there are other ways to fix this problem - check directions before leaving, ask somebody on the street, whatever.

I think my solution is to keep a phone with no data for when I have no reason to be connected, and then get a small tablet with some sort of cheap data plan. I'd take the tablet if I think I might need it.

Since taking data off my phone, I definitely notice I feel a little "freer" and less attached to my phone. No email, no internet, less apps that take up my time. 99% of the time I don't need it anyways.

Aleister likes this.
  16. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

I just did it last night. I had been thinking about switching back for a while, mainly because I'm too addicted to the iphone. I'm always on it, be it at work, or when I'm watching a movie with my son. I'm just not as "present" when I have the iphone. It's like I'm constantly distracted with some barrage of useless information. So, so far so good. I'm thinking that I will be more productive at work today than I have been in a long time. I'm in no way downing folks who choose to keep their smartphones, as each of us is different. I'm sure a lot of you guys have way more restraint than I do.

kertap75, Fukurai and Aleister like this.
  17. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

My Xperia U is on an £11 a month contract which has unlimited texts and enough free calls for my needs, so cost-wise I think it's very reasonable. I share the sentiment some have that it's not good to be connected to the web at all times, but I only get 100mb data a month which is just enough to quickly check Facebook or something when stuck on a bus bored.

I could managed with a 'dumb phone' as most of my real 'phone usage is texts, but I might as well have all the fun features on hand when it's costing me so little.

18. Christophe

Christophe Loaded Pockets

Sorry to ask but I don't understand the term "Dumb phone" is this meaning an old phone like a Nokia that looked like a brick and black and white screen before the smartphone era?

Chris

19. Soup

Soup Loaded Pockets

I sometimes wish we could all get back to good ole wired phone and leave all these screens behind. I liked it, back in the days, when I slammed my door shut, rode downtown and was not to be reachable for anyone. Friggi*n sensation of liberty that's long time gone now.

20. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

You can still have that liberty, just leave the phone at home our turned off. I'd I don't want to be bothered, I just turn it off but still have it if an emergency arises. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk 1701