1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swisstool Spirit, knife repurposing

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DeepBlue, Jul 20, 2014.

1. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

A problem we have here in the UK is that locking knives on multi-tools are not EDC legal. I find the Spirit a great tool but am reticent to carry it because of this. So after a lot of thought, today I 'repurposed' the knife and turned it into a number of 'not-knife' tools. Instead of one serrated butter knife blade, I now have:
    - a spatula
    - a mixer (epoxy glue, filler)
    - a smooth spreader / applicator
    - a card folder
    - a smooth, non-marking scraper
    - a...I'm sure there are more

The really polished blade allows it to be cleaned quickly.

Not really much to show. The sharp edge and serrations were ground away with a flat Dremel grinding wheel then the edge rounded and polished very smooth with abrasive paper and pads. The edge is completely smooth and blunt. Impossible to cut anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was a bit nervous taking a grinder to the blade but I'm very happy with the result. The 'no-knife' Spirit is now more versatile for my needs and much easier to show it's a legal carry.

I also tend to carry a UK legal pocket knife when appropriate and prefer a simple knife so no loss of utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. C.Boland93
    • The Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

Nice mod, and nicely done too!

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sweet!!

A "spatula" and a "smooth spreader/applicator" is kinda the same thing, but I like it, nonetheless. The two different angles on the ends(corners) of the spatula are very similar to two of the angles of a caulk spreader tool I have. I'm going to watch this thread a while and see if any other great uses pop up. then I may do the same thing to mine. I carry dedicated folders for different jobs already so the blade on the Vic won't be missed.

Nice looking job there!

4. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Ah, caulk spreader. nice.

I was thinking spatula in the sense of a mini spoon for powders. For, cooking, yes, they are spreaders!

5. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

For most practical purposes a multi-tool with locking blade(s) is extremely unlikely to get you into trouble in the UK. They are obviously designed for constructive rather than destructive purposes. The rationale behind UK offensive weapons law is to prevent the use of knives in violent crimes such as mugging or gang fights. Not many violent criminals carry multi-tools. I 'd hazard a guess and say that it is extremely unlikely that a prosecution would proceed in the slim chance of such a tool coming to the attention of the police. Obviously common sense must prevail as to when and where and how you carry it.

MangeD700 and SAKplumber like this.
  6. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I really didn't intend to start a debate on UK knife law (it's been done a few times before). Just to explain my own discomfort and I though others might find this approach of interest. I don't really need a knife on a multitool so I felt that this is a useful, versatile alternative. Works for me.

Victorinox say the Spirit has 27 functions. Mine has 32 and counting

7. Essexman

Essexman Loaded Pockets

Nice job there. Peanut butter speader, that's what I would use it for.

SAKplumber, DeepBlue and FL Woods Bum like this.
  8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

A most natural solution for making a knifeless multitool!

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!