1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swiss Tool Spirit Question

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ParTimeBourne, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I have a swiss tool spirit, can never remember which model, X or not, not sure it makes a difference for my question.

I want to get the extension bits and I'm confused (I'm also a DIY noob so don't laugh) There seems to be available an "extension bar" and a "ratchet bar" and then the bit holder. What functions do these serve? Do I need both? And the bit holder, that takes bits that are standard size and generally available?

If you could answer and keep a straight face it would be appreciated.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  2. ParTimeBourne

[​IMG]
    Just in case it does make a difference

3. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Of course you need all of it. Google it and you'll see why.;)

5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

There is an fixed "L" shaped driver wrench that takes bits(Vic item #30540), then the ratchet(Vic item #30342) that takes bits, and also an extension(Vic item #30344) for either one.

You'd need either the wrench or the ratchet, and the extension if you wanted it. And a bit holder if you need it.

None of these items attach to the Spirit in any way, so which Spirit model you have doesn't matter, they are stand alone tools/accessories not "add ons", per say.

The ratchet ratchets when driving and is reversible by flipping it over. The wrench is fixed and theoretically stronger than a ratchet(although IMO if you can break one of these ratchets, your abusing it and need bigger "real" tools!). Both will take bits in either end, working in wrench mode one way, or like a long handle screw driver the other. And the extension simply extends your reach with either.

(With the extention and the ratchet, if you place the bit in the tail end of the ratchet and use the extention in the rather head as the handle then it functions as a fixed L driver/wrench, the same as the L wrench does. :) )

They do all take standard 1/4" hex drive bits, and the ratchet can take Leathermans flattened bits in the ratchet end, but not in the tail end.

:cool:

I'm an obsessive Nut about 1/4" hex drive tools, and have all of these, so I can take a bunch of pics and post them if you'd like? :)

Last edited by AK Adventurer, Jun 12, 2015
    rangetroop, Lorenzo, Brtsmpsn and 6 others like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

And to get more function right from the Vic you need the Leatherman Bit Adapter and bits!
    The Leatherman adapter slides onto the Vic Philips driver turning it into a pretty decent 1/4" bit tool all by itself!

Hope this made things more confusing?

It's not really that confusing but yeah I am saying get a Leatherman accessory for the Vic tool.

Lorenzo, Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oddly, I doon't know which model is which. I was gonna tag AK Adventurer :giggle:

He's said all that can be siad, I beleive. I'll just add that I use a ToPeak Ratchet alongside my Vic, with two LM bit cards and a 1/4" & 5/16" nut driver.
    Gets me through the day;)

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh, you can use the flathead to drive 3/8" sockets.

9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

And open man hole covers, as I recall... ;)

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

11. ParTimeBourne

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated

AK Adventurer and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

Yours is a Spirit II or III; the knife blade is pointed on the II-version, and cut-off on the III-version (Butter-knife!).
    The X-version have the scales engraved for use as a measuring stick.
    The Plus versions contain the bits-holder, the ratchet or the wrench, and the extension.
    I am not sure if the cork-screw and mini-screwdriver came with the Plus-version, or if I bought them separate, but I have all.
    The separate tools are really just that, not really connected to the Spirit tool itself.
    But fits nicely in the case and forms a miniature tool set.
    Only thing you need, and is not made to fit in the sheath with the Spirit, is the cork-screw and the miniature screwdriver, which both are "nice to have" !

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  13. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

The Plus-version, with the case and all the tools complete, are really too big and heavy to carry on your belt!
    I have them in my bag when I am away and carry it with me.
    I am looking for a nice leather-sheath for the Spirit III alone, to carry it on my belt.
    I have the Cybertool 34 on my belt when needed, or a Leatherman Juice in a sheath together with a torch.
    But as said, I would love finding a nice leather sheath for the Spirit to be carried on the belt without the separate tools!

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  14. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

Found the box for my Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus!
    The Plus comes in two versions, besides coming with a Spirit II or Spirit III tool:
    One version (on the box says 3.02 38) the Plus contains the bit-holder, the cork-screw, the mini-screwdriver and the wrench. No extender.
    The other version (on the box says 3.02 39) the Plus contains the bit-holder, the cork-screw, the mini-screwdriver and the ratchet WITH the extender.
    The set comes with a cordura case that holds all tools, the Spirit included.
    It is possible to carry on a belt, but in my opinion too heavy and bulky for this use!

vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  15. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

You know what's funny? I'm a pretty big Bourne fan myself, I've watched the movies way too many times and own them all on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and sometimes I ask myself "What ____ would Jason Bourne carry?" For a plier-based multitool, I really can see Bourne with a Spirit X.

/nergasm

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  16. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

But it would be the black oxide version...

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  17. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I can see him with either. :p

Full sized Swissool also. I just see him as the Victorinox type. He has some type of SAK in his safety deposit box in the first movie, anyway.

Brtsmpsn likes this.