1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swiss+Tech and courthouses

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 29, 2015.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I'm on jury duty next month (Woo hoo), and I'm thinking about carrying one of the Swiss+Tech Micro-Tech tools in place of my normal keychain MT. Has anybody tried to get one of these into a courthouse? It feels weird to be completely without an implement of any kind.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You will NOT be able to take it with you past the metal detectors. Leave it at home.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. IThinkTooMuch

:-(
    I was afraid of that.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

You won't need it anyway

5. mrdabble

mrdabble Loaded Pockets

I think too much too!

I would say there isn't a need, but then I think of the rickety elevators in the ancient will county courthouse, would suck to be stuck in one of those but a multi-tool probably wouldn't get you out of that anyway!

You could try a Leatherman Leap without the blade if you wanna spend a few duckets.

I have heard of people carrying a multitool on their keys that has no knife and having no issues entering a courthouse. YMMV significantly, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. IThinkTooMuch

IME, a multitool isn't going to be worth much in a stuck elevator unless you know how to hotwire one. A flashlight and earplugs are worth their weight in gold. And, if all else fails, a good whistle. Good thing all of them are allowed in the courthouse, and are a part of my EDC.

ManVsLawn, theirishboxer and cheeser like this.
  7. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I would err on the side of caution and leave it in the car. They don't seem to be a big issue around here, no metal detectors or guards, but pretty small town. A smaller town about 10 miles aways has the full security setup however, so no rhyme or reason apparently. Better to just not risk losing it, or worse.

ManVsLawn, theirishboxer and cheeser like this.
  8. IThinkTooMuch

I'm in a big city, and this particular courthouse probably serves 1.5-2 million people. I expect full house security (x-ray machines, bomb sniffers, metal detecters, etc) with cops as screeners. Hence my reason for asking.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

For the risk of having it taken off you, I would tend to just leave it behind. However, if security informed you they were going to confiscate it, wouldn't you still have the option of dashing back to your car/truck to leave it there rather than let them take it?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. IThinkTooMuch

Normally yes, but I'm taking the bus to avoid traffic and parking ($$$). I MIGHT be able to carry a padded envelope and mail it back home a la TSA.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

At my local courthouse they have little lock boxes to put your phone and such before you go through the screening area, if your issue is that you want your tools with you in the city for before or after the jury duty (never been on a jury so I don't know how long it takes) it may be a good idea to check if your courthouse has such a setup. But as others stated above I wouldn't try to sneak it in.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

My style PS goes through without an issue

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. IThinkTooMuch

I just checked, and courthouse policy allows you to take a prohibited item back outside to handle it yourself. There's a blue USPS mailbox a half block down, so I will carry a padded SASE in case the Swiss+Tech is prohibited. Cheap insurance.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. IThinkTooMuch

Nope, not allowed. The deputy initially keyed on the screwdriver in my eyeglass repair kit, but the Swiss+Tech was a no go too. He was very impressed that I had a padded envelope ready to go, and allowed me to put my stuff in the envelope and place it with the courthouse's outgoing mail.

Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  15. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

I frequent several courthouses through work. I'm fortunate enough to be able to not be screened. From what I see at security you'd be lucky to get any multitool of any sorts through security. I've added 4 knives to my collection from people who hide knives outside the courthouse and then forget them :)