1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swiss Army Knife Sugestions

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Berk Ozatay, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Berk Ozatay

Berk Ozatay Loaded Pockets

First of all hello. I am a high school student in senior year. I collect SAKs and use some in my daily life at school , outside or home. I always have my Swiss Card Lite and Alox Bantam in my wallet. They fit in nicely and do not make my wallet thick. I have a Classic Sak on my keychain. I want to carry a knife in my pocket besides them. I cant decide which SAK to carry. I cant decide between the Farmer Pioneer and Sportsman
    Farmer and Pioneer are nearly the same. Only the difference is farmer has a saw which makes it one layer thicker. And on the other hand sportsman is like the plastic scaled version of alox cadet. only the difference between cadet and sportsman is awl , toothpic , tweezers and corkscrew which i put small sized screwdriver in corkscrew. It is shorter than pioneer and farmer which means it has smaller blade too.
    I also have
    MiniChamp
    Soldier 08
    Ranger (with the Camping logo)
    Huntsman
    Alox Excelsior
    Waiter (basically a bantam with an addition of corkscrew)
    Spartan Limited Edition

I'd love to take your suggestions. Thanks.

2. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

One question, Berk: do you ever need a saw? A lot? Or only once in awhile? Or never? Depending on your answer you can eliminate all SAKs with saws or not. Personally, I like the Farmer or the Pioneer the best. But, my daily needs may be different from yours.

sungame, Ace Krampus and Berk Ozatay like this.
  3. Berk Ozatay

Berk Ozatay Loaded Pockets

i barely need it. But then the decision between pioneer and sportsman shows up.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Take the pioneer, tweezers, toothpick and nailfile are in your classic sd..

See, wasn't that tough. Was it..

MrOG, sungame, Cobra 6 Actual and 2 others like this.
  5. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Pioneer. It's one of the best minimal EDC tools out there!
    I love the farmer too, but if you don't use the saw too much, I would say that the Pioneer is much more pocket friendly. But you should get both over time. ;)
    The Alox awl is much better than the one on the plastic scaled ones.
    All this IMO. :)

MrOG, Invictus, Joost Heijnen and 2 others like this.
  6. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Let them all sit in your collection display cabinet and get a Compact. :wub:

7. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Second for the compact.
    But of the three you listed I'd go sportsman.

8. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

My choice, Victorinox Swiss Army Rucksack, (I like the saw). And a awl you can sew with.

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Strange thought of the week: ”I asked God for a bike, but in church they said God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.”

Last edited by Rockwell Torrey, Aug 11, 2016
    warchild likes this.
  9. RWB8782

RWB8782 Loaded Pockets

I prefer the Alox Cadet for its style and simplicity. No scissors but since you have a classic you are covered there. Fits perfectly in the 5th pocket of jeans or if in a pants front pocket you will hardly even notice it.

10. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

Gotta say the Pioneer. The Spartan is my all time favorite but combined with a classic.. Whole different ball game. Pioneer adds an entirely different look and feel in addition to its functionality.

sungame likes this.
  11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

What I love about the Pioneer is, it's still thin and minimal, yet the blade and everything else is very strong and robust. Fantastic knife.

MrOG likes this.
  12. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

Choosing the 'right' SAK for a person always is a decision based on balancing between 'like' and 'need':

In terms of 'need', based on what you have said, I would assume it's probably for school/home most of the time, and sometimes outside. So I would suggest the following questions/answers to lead to a decision that you less likely to regret:

1) Between 'beefier'/slightly longer blade vs. Cork screw/small screwdriver/toothpick/tweezer, what will you choose?
    If you choose beefy blade, then go to question 2. If not, choose Sportsman.
    Personally, I see this as a choice between outdoor robustness vs daily urban convenience.

2) How do you see this--is having a saw with your tool a luxury you could occasionally use or a daily burden that you want to get rid of? If it is something you don't mind carrying, then an Alox farmer; if not, a pioneer.
    This is a question about preparing for the 'what if' vs being minimalist while covering 80% what you need.

Hope this helps.:)

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Carrying a cadet while also carrying a bantam is pretty redundant, the only real difference is the nail file. The knife is the same size and the combo-tool replaces bottle/can opener in at least 95 % of the cases. That said I love it, been carrying mine for months as my only EDC knife.

Same thing with the sportsman, its an awesome little knife but you already carry almost everything it has to offer, unless you regularly need quick access to the corkscrew (screwdriver), awl, tweezers or toothpick there's the same amount of redundancy as with the cadet. Don't get me wrong, redundancy is good so if that's what you're looking for then by all means go for it.

My vote would however go to the Pioneer, while it offers pretty much the same tools it does so in a more heavy duty package and the inline awl can be used for a lot of things the back awl would have trouble with. Farmer or pioneer is a toss up, the farmer is slightly heavier and bigger which is not necessarily a bad thing, as SAKwiki points out:
    I don't have a problem with it despite having fairly large hands, the pioneer is a good size for a non-locking sturdy blade.

14. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I recently got my first compact to take apart and turn into a yeoman. When it arrived I stuck it in my pocket. I'm going to get a second one to turn into a yeoman. I love the compact.

will m and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. Invictus

Invictus Loaded Pockets

Unless you really plan on using the saw, don't get a saw blade model. They make your sak unnecessary bulkier (and heavier considering the weight of alox models) and you'll regret not having scissors in stead (speaking from experience). The Pioneer and Electrician models are superb EDC options and the alox scales last longer and age way better than the plastic ones in my opinion. That said, the plastic scaled Compact offers a ton of utility in a small package. My advice? Get a few of them: at around $25-$30 they don't break the bank and you can rotate! :D

Cheers!

16. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

Alox Cadet would be my suggestion, but like others stated, base it on individual need. I already carry either a small fixed blade or another folder clipped to my pocket most of the time and have relegated my alox cadets to "gentleman" carry rotating with my EKA Classic #5. I also base my folder carry for the day based off what I will be doing and there are situations I am subject to that I need my one-hand opening knives over the cadet. I almost always have a classic SD on my keychain though for "just in case".

17. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

First: While Victorinox produces the actual knife issued to the Swiss army, there is another Swiss company called Wenger. Their products are as good as the Victorinox quality wise and from my point of view sometimes even better (eg. their spring loaded scissors are not loaded by a clamped in wire but with a spring mechanism which uses the layer and is much more durable and not prone to loosing it). And they seem to be thought out a bit better to me. They are more expensive, though.

That said, I would suggest an EvoGrip S17 or an EvoGrip S18 (which I carry myself on my keychain). Main difference between the two: the S18 has a Phillips head screwdriver instead of the S17's corkscrew. Both have a locking (!) blade, can- and bottle openers (the latter including a wire bender and a flathead), spring loaded scissors, a very good wood saw, a reamer, tweezers and a toothpick. Please have a look at the Wenger website for details.

I chose the S18 over the S17 for myself because it is my backup knife for outdoor activity and I have a corkscrew with me anyway on my Juice C2 (which has the advantage of including a lever).
    edit: corrected which Wenger has the corkscrew

18. Dake

Dake Loaded Pockets

I really wish Victorinox would bring back the scientist. I don't know that I would carry it every day, but it sure would be cool the have one.

Camden44 and CitizenSnips like this.
  19. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

The story of breaking the spring on the victorinox scissors doesn't go for me. I've carried my compact for countless years. Used the scissors at daily basis. Never had a broken spring or lost one.

Maybe I'm that lucky guy..

MrOG, Camden44 and Nick4305 like this.
  20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

My Champion has a broken spring since nearly eternity (at least 15 years). I never replaced it.

Joost Heijnen likes this.