1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swine flu/N95

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Eeyore, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Argentina, Australia, Canada, the US, Britain, and western europe have medical systems that are at saturation ALL THE TIME. It doesn't take H1N1 to overstress it, the normal annual flu takes care of it.

2. DSC

DSC Banned

I talked to a doctor yesterday (summertime sinus infection...blech...) and she said she was a bit irritated with all the coverage about the "swine flu"...she said that about 30,000 to 40,000 people die every year from "seasonal" flu and she doesn't understand all the alerts and all from the CDC about the swine flu all the time lately. She said in her opinion, the overblown media coverage causes undue concern when there are other things about which people ought to be concerned.

She compared this current, borderline hysteria to the MRSA scare a couple of years back...

3. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

Companies need to cash in on epidemics as Phil stated.

Hype all the way.

Just look at who owns big Pharma, who owns the (corporate) mainstream media, and who is telling you to be scared. (all the same people)

They create the problem and the solution. What does it mean for us? Money wasted and we are scared so straight we obey whatever laws are passed.

What does it mean for them? Profit and a population willing to accept bad regulation.

That said, you should still be prepared for something. Try to avoid getting sick because schools (My JC included) are starting to keep track and who has gotten
    their (mercury infused) vaccines, for this "swine flu".

4. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I'm more afraid of the vaccination than of the flu...
    I'd catch swine flu right now if I had only the choice between the flu and the vaccine, "being a bit ill for a week without the need for medication" sounds better in my head than "experimental chemical vaccine with side effects"

no reason to change one's behavior anyway.

5. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

If they come out with a vaccine, those of us in the military won't have a choice in the matter. Side-effects ahoy! :green:

6. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know just what is in this vaccine? My wife works for a doctor,I had her ask him if he knows what is in it.His response.....I dunno. You want to :censored: me with a needle and you have know idea whats in it,not this guy.We all know it has some of the dead virus in the vaccine,but what else is in the recipe is what i wanna know.

7. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Since the pharma groups which created the vaccines do not want to give away their recipes (the welfare of humanity is never a better choice than a bunch of money, I guess), we'll probably never know it fully.

8. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Yes,You are right.Food manufacturers are required by law to list everything thats in the food or box of food.I guess the pharma companies are exempt from that.

9. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

According to some research of mine, the vaccine, like most vaccines, are made in an Egg culture. Therefore if you are allergic to egg products, you don't want this vaccine. The media has really warped the perception of this. Is it bad? Yes. Will people die? Yes. Will taking precautions such as hand-washing, cover you coughs and sneezes help. Yes.

The key right now is simply to be informed. Many people still can not tell you the difference between the common cold and the flu. Take some time to learn common symptoms of various conditions. Many doctor offices are being overwhelmed by uneducated folks. I am not saying ignore the issue, but use some common sense first. Take advantage of a nurse hotline if you have access to one. If you have a medical emergency, by all means call it in.

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

11. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

I work in a university administrative role. During my annual physical last week I asked my doctor about H1N1 when I mentioned getting my regular flu shot in October. He said there's a vaccine that's expected to be available in late October. He observed that our _students_ would be encouraged to get it, but older people like me (what?! "I'm 37, I'm not old!") aren't in that first "tier" of targeted candidates. Also it's two shots, not one.

*shrug* I don't mind how many shots it is: I have four kids and would prefer getting a dozen shots over bringing home the flu to them! But my doc was confident that the students were a much higher-risk group than even the adults working with them.

YMMV.

- Will
    P.S. I'm still getting the regular flu shot, though, and I'll be washing hands even more often than usual this year since our third headed into the local School System/Disease Culture Medium.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

There are no “natural alternatives” to vaccines. The original 1796 vaccine used by Jenner was 100% natural.

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

By alternatives to vaccines, I meant doing things/taking natural supplements to boost one's immune system to help one avoid becoming ill if exposed if one chooses not to receive a vaccine injection.

14. dhfu624

dhfu624 Loaded Pockets

The (novel) H1N1 virus has shown a different target population profile than the normal seasonal flu. The CDC has published the following groups considered at high-risk and will be available to receive the first batch of H1N1 vaccinations:
    • Pregnant women because they are at higher risk of complications and can potentially provide protection to infants who cannot be vaccinated;
    • Household contacts and caregivers for children younger than 6 months of age because younger infants are at higher risk of influenza-related complications and cannot be vaccinated. Vaccination of those in close contact with infants less than 6 months old might help protect infants by “cocooning” them from the virus;
    • Healthcare and emergency medical services personnel because infections among healthcare workers have been reported and this can be a potential source of infection for vulnerable patients. Also, increased absenteeism in this population could reduce healthcare system capacity;
    • All people from 6 months through 24 years of age-- children from 6 months through 18 years of age because we have seen many cases of novel H1N1 influenza in children and they are in close contact with each other in school and day care settings, which increases the likelihood of disease spread, and young adults 19 through 24 years of age because we have seen many cases of novel H1N1 influenza in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity, and they are a frequently mobile population; and,
    • Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications from influenza.

A few interesting observations...
    (1) individuals older than 64 (and with no underlying medical conditions) seem to be more resistant to the (novel) H1N1; the current thought is that a flu circulated in the 1960's and provided some resistance to this H1N1 virus for that age population (no proof or studies to back this up).
    (2) As stated before it's anticipated that the (novel) H1N1 vaccine will be a two-stage vaccine, but don't forget about getting the normal flu shot as well
    (3) The normal seasonal flu is already available to the high-risk groups (the very young and the very old).

-d

15. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I put away a couple of cases of N95's a couple years ago when the Swine first broke out. Get them now. The local school district was out and could not get their own supply last winter.

Just get N95 rated masks.

16. Rancehood

Rancehood Loaded Pockets

17. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

I just bought 50 extra filters (P100) for my half face respirator.

18. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

Bah.
    I had this.
    Was not terrible.
    Unless you have a disease that comprimises your body's ability to fight sickness, don't need it anything but a ton of liquid and a few seasons of 24. Although I was(am) very healthy, it just felt like a migrane mixed with a really bad cold.

19. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I just got my regular flu shot for the year. I'm not in a high risk group, so I may skip the N95 shot this year. That said, they may be able to go with a single dose N95 flu shot this year. Latest studies show about an 80% effective rate for single shot.

I'm worried about side effects. I also remember the Ford administration's swine flu effort. More people were killed from the vaccine than from the flu. Yes, I know each flu season is different, but just the same, be wary.