1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Swany66675's edc, and other random things

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by swany66675, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

2. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

While I'm sorry you feel that way :p. I'm still thinking all you need to do is get one moose and you'll be ahead in pounds of meat in the freezer.

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Indeed, but the problem at this point is doing it without either; (A) driving/snowmobiling so far the overhead makes it that I could have bought USDA Choice, top grade, black angus, fillet mingon cheaper... :cry:
    OR (B) it being rather accurately called poaching... ;)

4. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

How far do you have to go to hunt. The ones you hit with your truck seem to be within 20 miles of you.

5. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Ak needs to build a "moose catcher" for his truck and drive up and down the road until one jumps out in front of him, then scoop it up for the freezer.

7. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

[​IMG]
    So this concludes early archery season.

If it makes you feel better AK I didn't get a turkey. Of course in the process of not getting a turkey I let three more doe walk (I didn't have a tag for the area I was in).

8. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Did someone tip them off. :ninja:

9. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

Tegan told me this picture is from The Lion King.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

10. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Gorgeous photo, swany! Too bad about the turkey...

I tell you, we have a spring turkey season down here. In the fall, while deer hunting, I can see 2 dozen turkeys while in the field. Not allowed to shoot one. Spring season comes around... not a turkey to be found. But I see more daggum deer.

I swear there must be some sort of wildlife "underground railroad" in the woods around here!

11. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Oh, they're out there alright. The deer are camo'd as turkeys and vice versa. They have it in their PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) contract.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

12. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

That's the way turkey are, I saw them every time I was out till season started.

13. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

I'm not a hunter, but about a month ago my son and I were heading back from a camping trip … allow me to set the scene … early morning, the first bit of gray light just beginning to reveal the mist that was still clinging to the ground … the road was little more than a single lane that someone had once tossed a handful of crush and run on, but mostly dirt, pretty dense immature trees on either side … and as I came around a turn I saw the shadow of something in the road about a 50 yards ahead … I said to my son, "turkey buzzard?" … and he replied "nope, turkey" (15 year old eyes) … and as we got closer I saw he was right … and then I saw the rest of them … musta been 20 of 'em, and they all just came flowing out of the woods and into the road and sauntered across in front of me as I slowed to a stop. We just sat there with our jaws dropped as they meandered back into the woods on the other side and disappeared …
    Now I may not know why the turkey crossed the road, but I dam sure know WHERE they did it … !
    :)

14. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

There is definitely an evolutionary part to this. How animals know when hunting season is and can hide on day one and stay hidden until the final. Even Swany the :ninja: critter assassin has trouble finding them.

15. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

Finding turkeys is easy sneaking up on them is hard, predicting where they are headed is a little easier but beating them there without spooking them is tricky. Of course most the hunters Pa bust the flocks causing them to scatter then try to call them back back together at their location.

16. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

Here you guys go.
    [​IMG]

17. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

How full is your freezer now?

18. AK Adventurer

Yeah, I swear all the moose in AK now plan an annual migration vacation and swim the Bearing sea to Russia every Sept. :frantic:

For the last 25 years that I can remember, and longer, our moose season has been the first 2 to 3 weeks of Sept. Its not an un-reasonable assumption that all the generations of moose that lived in that time have learned to stay the heck away from humans at that time of year... I mean, after the first couple years of being shot at, and your buddies disapearning, wouldn't you go elsewhere durring the offending times? ;)

I've often thought that the season should change, rotate for example, somewhat randomly, within a month or two time span, to make it less permanently regular/predictable..

19. AK Adventurer

Reminds me of a hunting trip one of my cousins did a few years ago... His grandfather has a big section of farm/homestead land, with a good population of wild turkeys. So they went hunting. They swore they could Hear every turkey in the state of Iowa that day, on that land... They were always just the other side of the next clump of brush... Never saw a single one! IIRC 3 or 4 days hunting, and you could hear them Everywhere,but you couldn't find one to shoot. He swears they were wearing camo, and burrowing into the ground to hide. ;)

He's a fantastic deer hunter(holds the Iowa state record buck actually) and loves to hunt, but from what I hear you don't wanna mention turkey hunting to him. ;)

20. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Actually, until I moved to really rural Montana, hunting was always more expensive than buying beef. If you don't absolutely love hunting, the grocery store is a) probably cheaper and b) far more certain. The only tag I really count on filling (when I can get one) is my mule deer doe tag. I don't hunt so that I can eat; I eat a primarily venison diet so that I can hunt!
    (I do love venison, though).

I think perhaps Jeff Foxworthy said it best:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.