1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Svord peasant knife any good?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dabluestuff, Jun 26, 2013.

1. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

I have been looking at the thing for a long time and have been waiting to pop on it. It's only 15 bucks but it says it's handmade and stuff but it looks to good to be true. Anyone with the knife can you please tell me if it's any good for edc. I know it's a friction folder and I like the style of it.
    thanks!

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

its an excellent knife. too big for edc though. i believe they make a smaller version now,

3. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

The wooden handle Peasants are great for refinishing etc. Pretty big though. Still a great cheap knife.
    The Peasant Jr is smaller, with plastic scales. Nice range of colours, but feels cheap. I love my green one though. Would recommend either.

GrayMouser likes this.
  4. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

So they aren't very good for edc?

5. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun Loaded Pockets

Too big for edc... because of the tang extension thingy... Also - it seems like you get very little cutting edge for the overall size (especially when closed). not to mention - mine came surprisingly dull. It would still cut, but not well.

6. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

I have the Mini Peasant, and I think it would be a suitable EDC knife. The Mini is the right size for me, and they are easy and fun to customize. If you don't mind the uneven bevel (it isn't really a problem) then I'd recommend it.

GrayMouser and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  7. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I've got the mini version also. It's a nice size for edc, comfortable to use, and has a nice blade once you sharpen it. The two I've had came butter knife dull out of the box. If I ever get another one, I'll convex the edge. Here's a picture...
    [​IMG]

GrayMouser likes this.
  8. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

I've only had one for a few days now. Its a mini and also came dull. Its almost too big for a fifth pocket in jeans. I sharpened it and used it today cutting up boxes. After roughly 80 feet of cutting it still shaves hair. Fit and finish isn't perfect but I wasn't expecting it to be. Its a peasant's knife truly. Simply a cutting tool but charming as it can be. I may strip and acid wash the blade but more than likely I'll just use the hell out of it. I'm confident it will serve me well for its intended purpose.

tldr version: buy one! Just get a mini if you want to pocket carry.

GrayMouser likes this.
  9. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I have a mini in wengewood coming. I'll post a review when it comes in.

10. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

So I got my mini in wengewood for $25 via BladeHQ with a matching sheath from eBay for $7, to add to my growing friction folder collection.

First impressions: super lightweight, great size for my hand, generally cheap knife.

It has a beautiful patina on the blade. Mine looks almost like its been artificially bronzed, which is cool. It was shaving sharp out of the bag. The grind is awful, worst I have seen on any knife in terms of nice, even grind on both sides of the blade. It's all over the place.

The wengewood is very nice but the handles are poorly cut and even with appropriate tightening of the bolts, the wood slabs, which are rough cut, still move around a little. I'm thinking of adding a little blue lock-tite in the bolts at the tension I like because the screws move around a bit.

The sheath at $7 is good bang for the buck. It's a soft rough leather which holds the knife perfectly. The size (knife and sheath) is good for EDC.

At this point my overall impression SHOULD be: a premium version of a cheap knife is still a cheap knife.

But here's the thing. I can't put the thing down. It feels great in my hand (keeping in mind I love friction folders), at the current tension it flips like a dream, and the blade, terrible grind aside, has this beautiful bronzish patina. For all it's quirks and foibles, this thing puts a silly grin on my face every time. Now, I do like primitive style FFs and this is the most primitive I own. Your mileage may vary. But for a neat, interesting, cheap, nonthreatening EDC, I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Here's some pics. I'll post again when it's seen some use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Scott

CitizenSnips, GrayMouser and scbubba like this.
  11. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

^ Nice!

I love my Peasant large bulky blade when I'm camping. It's soooooo easy to clean after.

Other than that, I don't carry mine.

12. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Fit and finish is pretty bad. I had to sharpen my Peasant Knife Mini and add a backspacer before I could use it comfortably. I also need to add some nylon washers to keep the blade from hitting the brass bushing and ruining the edge.